Best game bags?

jm1607

WKR
Was going to order my usual Bone-In tag bags but noticed when I was on Black Ovis there are a ton more options out there nowadays...

What are u guys using??

Hunter6

WKR
I use the black ovis brand bags. I got them on Camofire for less than the tag bags. So far they have hauled out two elk, one mule deer and they are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Ok cool.. Have it down between TAG & Caribou....

Last edited:
Another vote for tag bags.

I had some Alaska game bags. They roll on like a condom and they stretch like socks. I hear (subject to confirmation) that flies can lay eggs through them. The tag bags just seem to work better for me on meat and see me easier to clean. They also seemed to be bettter at multitasking as food and misc bags in my pack until needed for meat.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Alright..

Just bought four 24x44 TAG bags for Elk quarters.. Going to use 1 or 2 of my BOMB bags I already own for the rest of the meat/cape..

Thanks guys

bmart2622

WKR
Larry Bartlett, the owner/creator of TAG bags did a ton of research and laid the ground work for most of the synthetic game bags out there now. Plus he is an awesom guy and has amazing customer service, so for those reasons, TAG bags will always be my go to game bag.

Clarktar

WKR
Larry Bartlett, the owner/creator of TAG bags did a ton of research and laid the ground work for most of the synthetic game bags out there now. Plus he is an awesom guy and has amazing customer service, so for those reasons, TAG bags will always be my go to game bag.
Couldn't agree with this more!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
I had some Alaska game bags. They roll on like a condom and they stretch like socks. I hear (subject to confirmation) that flies can lay eggs through them.

I can confirm that flies can lay eggs through those damn bags. Not too many things freak me out, but watching flies lay eggs on my hard-won game meat sure does.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried a few of them and now use the Allen Backcountry Meat synthetic bags. For meat only they're perfect size IMO at 20"x30" and they're about $25 for a 4-pack. I've used them on 2 elk and 2 WT deer the last two seasons and they work well and wash up great. I bought another pack so I can carry 5 bags though, as 4 of them weren't enough for big bodied elk. They also make Backcountry Quarter bags.

LaHunter

WKR
Meat sticks to caribou game bags, bad. As in pulling chunks out of the muscle bad.

I had this happen with my Caribou bags. Is this unique to these bags? I thought they were made from the same material as the Tag bags.
I put my quarters in the bags wet/bloody, and as the quarters became dry they stuck to the fabric of the bags. I assumed it would have happened with any bag, sorta like when blood dries in clothing, it 'sticks' to the fabric.

Hunter6

WKR
I had this happen with my Caribou bags. Is this unique to these bags? I thought they were made from the same material as the Tag bags.
I put my quarters in the bags wet/bloody, and as the quarters became dry they stuck to the fabric of the bags. I assumed it would have happened with any bag, sorta like when blood dries in clothing, it 'sticks' to the fabric.

I have not had that issue with the Ovis Sacks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not had that issue with the Ovis Sacks.

I've seen it with the orvis bags too. My hunting partner has a set I use the tag bags to support LB. They are pretty similar and both will stick if you let the meat dry to the bag.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TAG bags are a pretty different material from Caribou or Black Ovis or the Allen backcountry. Kuiu is a little different but still not the same material as TAG. I have bags from all 5 companies and prefer TAG. However TAG does not offer a 20x30 which I find is ideal for hind quarters bone in or out you need that big opening. Meat will stick to all of them but the caribou fabric is a little more coarse and will actually embed the checkerboard pattern in the meat which I think makes it stick worse. I usually carry 1 caribou or Allen 20x30 and 1 kuiu medium quarter basically same size and then 3 TAG bomb bags the bigger size I put a front deboned in each and the neck meat in the other. Then the 2 smaller tag bomb bags one for backstraps and the other for the tenderloins. This is for elk hunting. My hunting partner has the Black Ovis and I have my wife setup with the 4 Allen backcountry bags 1 TAG large bomb and a medium kuiu zip.