Skeleton Knives

OP
Kevin Dill
I think since I was old enough to use a knife, I've believed the grip was half the equation on a true working knife. Like, there's a reason you don't see any number of skeleton filet knives or boning knives in use. The grip being the interface between hand and blade, a poorer grip just makes my task more difficult. I could not imagine undertaking an entire bull moose (skinning, quartering, de-boning, trimming) with a skeleton or other minimalist grip knife. Conversely, a knife with a really ideal grip (fits the hand, has good grippiness, etc) will make a job easier and require less effort to grasp and control the knife. Less hand fatigue is a bonus on longer jobs.

I can see a skeleton blade being useful for basic cutting or short tasks, but then again...I can go with scales for an extra ounce or two and have the grip I desire every time I pull that knife. Anyway....there's no right or wrong here. Just trying to see if skeletons offer anything beyond slightly less weight.

Lawnboi

WKR
A good handle is nice. But scales or not the thing that usually makes processing that much easier is having an extremely sharp knife. I don't think many know how sharp a knife can really be

PredatorX

WKR
That's why these replaceable bladed knives are so popular. Most don't know how or want to take the time to sharpen. It ain't always easy though that's for sure.
A good handle is nice. But scales or not the thing that usually makes processing that much easier is having an extremely sharp knife. I don't think many know how sharp a knife can really be

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, I'm not on the skeleton bandwagon, although I might as well be cause I don't ever actually kill anything so I could be a cool kid without having to worry about my old hands cramping up cutting up a critter. I do like the idea of the grip being easy to clean, but the same easy to clean could be had with a light weight solid handle made out of that white material you see on professional meat cutter knives!

Beendare

WKR
.... Aside from the reduced weight and dimension (flatter) I can't find any other real advantages to them. I find their grips to be...at best...only tolerable and more like generally uncomfortable for extended work. ....
^Agreed. I suppose the big advantage is cleaning with some of them.

I have a Alpha folder in S30V steel that could be considered skeletonized as it has cutouts in the handle but that folder is a PITA to clean. I moved to the Benchmade Steep Country orange handle in S 30V steel fixed blade and though its a little small for my hand....I really like that for a processing/Skinning knife.

The smooth handle on some of the really nice knives would be too slippery for me....and I could see some of the metal skeletonized knives being slippery also.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer a boning knife when breaking down an animal so carrying a skeleton skinner (with paracord wrap) is light to have a deep belly blade optimized for skinning and then switching to a long blade boning knife that wouldn't be too ergonomic for skinning. The short skinning duration I don't run into any fatigue issues in the grip. This is just my preference, I have/can break down an animal with just a single blade if needed.

mrgreen

WKR
I like the Tyto knives more then the folders like Havalon, because I find a folder a PIA to get completely clean. That being said, I'd like the Tyto even more if it had a handle option like the Esee Izula.

It's funny that I am kind of a knife nerd. I have a WEPS sharpening system and use it on my knives (EDC, field and kitchen) about twice a month, but I still like the convenience of the replaceable blades for Deer. I think it's about not putting a blade with blood and tallow residue back in the sheath, I just drop the Tyto blade into an empty Rx bottle.

I started carrying the skeletonized version of our Hunter model and really like it. I dressed 3 deer in a day without ever thinking about the feel being uncomfortable. I carried it on this years backpack elk hunt to save a little bit of weight and so it would fit neatly in the side pocket of my bino pack the way a scaled knife couldn't. It's still stout enough to baton firewood unlike some of the super ultra light skeletonized blades on the market.

The comfort depends on the size of a persons hands and if that person has arthritis or is prone to hand cramps. Para cord wraps can make them more comfortable but I have found they also get gross pretty quickly if you're processing animals with it.

From now on I'll carry the skeletonized version and keep the scaled model for trimming and other work where I can wear a heavy glove.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve got a few skeleton knives, mostly because they are different but also for light weight, as a couple are Titanium. I’ve only cut up a few deer and black bears with mine but I’ve got no complaints. I was gifted a Tyto scalpel handle this fall and I prefer it to my havalon. That one has a Paracord grip, my Kestral caper and skinner are bare. Not sure I would ask for one to cut up a moose though!

OP
Kevin Dill
When I'm elbows-deep in a bloody multi-hour butchering job, it's not even open to question. Give me a big honkin' soft or tacky-grip knife I can use while wearing Kevlar gloves. I've found the smaller the grip (for me) the less control and pressure I can put into a knife without eventual fatigue. But then again....butchering a moose is nothing like field dressing a whitetail behind my house. I've done plenty of deer with a 2-1/2" blade stockman folder. I'm certain I could take a moose apart with a basic 3" blade.

Anyway...this thread was and is all for fun and discussion. Everyone should use what they like, eh?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I'm elbows-deep in a bloody multi-hour butchering job, it's not even open to question. Give me a big honkin' soft or tacky-grip knife I can use while wearing Kevlar gloves. I've found the smaller the grip (for me) the less control and pressure I can put into a knife without eventual fatigue. But then again....butchering a moose is nothing like field dressing a whitetail behind my house. I've done plenty of deer with a 2-1/2" blade stockman folder. I'm certain I could take a moose apart with a basic 3" blade.

Anyway...this thread was and is all for fun and discussion. Everyone should use what they like, eh?

This is a big reason why I carry a skeleton skinner and a separate boning knife with a longer blade. I have a clean blade that is much more specifically suited to the job for the extended work. The skinning is a smaller portion in terms of ergonomics of a skeleton handle and the weight penalty is nill to have that specific blade along and then set to the side once the skinning is done and lower legs removed. It all can be done with one blade for sure but length, flexibility and tip geometry aren't going to be optimal for either task in one knife. For instance I personally don't enjoy using the short exchange-a-blades for deboning meat, with a boning knife I can sink it down to the ribs and cut along the spine side of the backstrap in one pass where as a shorter blade takes a series of strokes. That's just my personal preference.

sndmn11

WKR
I've got a cork handled Spyderco Mule I need to finish up, I doubt the cork added much weight at all since it was less than a typical fly rod grip and a completed fly rod is 2.5-5oz

Broke down a big sitka yesterday. I had packed up a Kestrel Scalpel and a mountain caper.
Ended up preferring the mountain caper blade shape and it worked well for breaking down gutless and deboning an entire deer.

I think the scalpel handle will always have a spot in the kit but man I feel I can accomplish a ton with the handled ovis and caper. Awesome knives.

kiddogy

WKR
I think I need a little enlightenment. I've looked at many and owned a few skeleton knives over the last years. Aside from the reduced weight and dimension (flatter) I can't find any other real advantages to them. I find their grips to be...at best...only tolerable and more like generally uncomfortable for extended work. I don't handle them with the precision I do a knife which possesses a true grip. I can't imagine using one on a job lasting more than maybe 30 minutes...especially when I can bring a knife with a true grip for maybe an extra ounce or two.

So for nothing more than understanding what people think of them...what do YOU think, like or dislike about skeleton knives?
they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!