Skeleton Knives

I think I need a little enlightenment. I've looked at many and owned a few skeleton knives over the last years. Aside from the reduced weight and dimension (flatter) I can't find any other real advantages to them. I find their grips to be...at best...only tolerable and more like generally uncomfortable for extended work. I don't handle them with the precision I do a knife which possesses a true grip. I can't imagine using one on a job lasting more than maybe 30 minutes...especially when I can bring a knife with a true grip for maybe an extra ounce or two.

So for nothing more than understanding what people think of them...what do YOU think, like or dislike about skeleton knives?

I also struggle when using them, so I reserve their use for when I’m doing fine type of work. Work like tubing out a critter, specifically around it’s head to preserve the lips, eyelashes or whiskers. I’ll also use them for finishing up butchering tasks before cooking game meat, like taking off the last bit of silver skin.

Otherwise I am a full tang solid handle type of knife guy.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with you Kevin, not sure I quite understand the desire for a skeleton handle. I've had a couple and end up making my own scales for them.

I have bigger hands and don’t care for them. Think the only one I still have is an esee izula.

If you really want something light and nimble you can get a to hold replaceable blades.

They're pretty much all I've used the last several years. Most my hunts are fly-outs, so I always take a couple extra knives like an ulu or large skinning knife and a Havalon, but I always leave them at base camp and only take one or two Kestrel knives up to my spike. I also carry heavier wt. rubber gloves (approx. 5 oz., but worth every oz. in my opinion), in my kill kit and always wear them when skinning out. Never had an issue with having a good grip on the knife and they've saved me on numerous occasions from cutting myself, so far I've never suffered any kind of a cut injury while skinning out game. My Kestrel skinner and caper, in the sheath's weigh a total of 2.3 oz.
When I eventually get back to base camp, I do all my finish work there like skinning the head out, splitting lips, turning ears, etc., with the Havalon and I like the ulu for fleshing. For moose hunts I almost exclusively use the ulu for all my skinning work.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Just asking.

Isn’t an ulu a traditional knife for the ladies? I don’t know much about them

Last edited:
Just asking.

Isn’t an uku a traditional knife for the ladies? I don’t know much about them

The ulu is a little different when you first start using it, but the learning curve is short, and then it becomes the best tool ever for fleshing hides, bears, moose, etc.

Last edited:
Isn’t an ulu a traditional knife for the ladies?

That’s pretty much the only reason I use them, it puts me in touch with my feminine side.
f82815bbcc683ac37b94b7e9b2f862d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Dill
Say I have a skeleton knife with a 3.5 - 4.0 inch blade and full tang design. What would a set of carbon fiber or Zytel scales add to the weight? Is there a significant weight savings going straight skeleton?

Trial153

WKR
Say I have a skeleton knife with a 3.5 - 4.0 inch blade and full tang design. What would a set of carbon fiber or Zytel scales add to the weight? Is there a significant weight savings going straight skeleton?

Not really.

My favorite knife when weight is a premium...is a Charles may necker with a para cord wrap. It weights next to nothing and will hold an edge through a whole elk or moose breakdown. However I think the weight penalty of a solid fully functioning knife in the backcountry is 100% worth it. Hence the reason a Dozier Pro Guide is almost always with me.

Charles May Knives

KS-3 Pro Guides Knife - Dozier Knives

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The first time I ever saw one of those skeleton knives years ago my first thought was.......what on earth were they thinking. That's still my opinion of them. Heck, it took a couple years for me to get used to the tiny handles of the Havalons, but I'd still prefer a beefier handle. My hunting knife has a Bell & Carlson handle that I can't imagine weighs much at all. But it sure feels great in my hands.

I have a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf, when I got it I thought I wouldn't like the thinner handle ( full size knife) but it turns out I like it a lot. I orders a Tyto and will be using it tonight after work to cape out my buck so I will know more about that purchase after using it. I opted out for the paracord wrap, one more thing to get dirty. I like wash and go.

Ronb

WKR
dae7c1f42304551aa898982aa11a540c.jpg

Esse says the izula weighs 2oz. So the scales and screws weigh 1.2oz. Totally worth it. I could see running a skeleton izula as a spare.

oenanthe

WKR
I have a skeleon knife. After trying it out on caribou and sheep, it no longer comes on hunts with me. I don't find the handle comfortable for extended use.

The skeleton still comes along on backpack trips, where it's handy for paring broken toenails and slicing cheese and sausage for my pilot bread.

This year I put a Victorinox paring knife in my lightweight backcountry kit. Dirt cheap, super light, and the handle is comfortable. It's not particularly esthetically pleasing, but I got over that and it will be coming along next year, too.

elkguide

WKR
With a para-cord wrap, I could get by with one but then you have to take the para-cord off to clean it.

So I have a couple that just sit in a drawer.

Trial153

WKR
dae7c1f42304551aa898982aa11a540c.jpg

Esse says the izula weighs 2oz. So the scales and screws weigh 1.2oz. Totally worth it. I could see running a skeleton izula as a spare.

With a para-cord wrap, I could get by with one but then you have to take the para-cord off to clean it.

So I have a couple that just sit in a drawer.
clean what? you havent killed anything since carter was in office!!!

frankrb3

WKR
Anyone here tried an esee Camp Lore CR2.5? Looks like a small, stout knife that would pair well with a tyto or havalon for backcountry hunting and has removable scales. Might be a good option for a comfortable knife if I don't like the way it feels when I remove the scales.

download.jpg

Last edited: