Baofeng Radios

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of getting some radios. Anyone have any info or experience with Baofeng?
Looking at the UV5r model
Are they easy to charge when in the backcountry?
Is the range good?
Any help is appreciated
Thx

Owenst7

WKR
They are illegal to use without an amateur radio license, even on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

On simplex, they're going to be slightly better than a standard FRS radio. A ~6" flexible antenna and the 5 watts of output will help things a bit. If you get an adapter, you can use a mag mount on the roof of your truck, which will improve things a great deal. You are pretty much limited to line of sight, but they will punch through vegetation/trees decently.

The batteries last me about a week of intermittent use. I'm not sure what practical way you would recharge them in the field. I'd just bring along multiple batteries. They're about $10 and pretty lightweight.

They're a much better radio than a bubble pack radio, but they are manufactured cheaper. They are pretty drop resistant, but I wouldn't expect them to handle a lot of water. You'd probably be better off with a Yaesu if you want something 100% reliable that you can drop in a creek.

I use them frequently for backpacking. We have a ton of repeaters around here, and they allow me to talk freely with friends/family while I'm in remote areas.

OP
JPGreg

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Thx for the informative response above. Quite helpful. I’m located in British Columbia, are restrictions with radio use I imagine is quite different.
Appreciate the help.

Thx for the informative response above. Quite helpful. I’m located in British Columbia, are restrictions with radio use I imagine is quite different.
Appreciate the help.

In Canada it is considered a HAM radio and can only be operated in those frequencies and not in the FRS/GMRS frequencies. (Baofeng Radio Legality - Rapid Survival)

I suggest looking for some good VHF/GMRS combination radios like the Cobra HH450 or similar.

Owenst7

WKR
I know Canada has reciprocity with USA amateur radio licenses, so I'd suspect the regulations are fairly similar.

Over here, a tech license is only $15 and it's an easy 35 question multiple choice test.

It's "ham", not "HAM", by the way. It's not an acronym, just a slang term.

Technically, GMRS requires a license also.

In the US, all FRS radios are restricted to fixed antennas and 0.5 watts. There's really no way for one radio to outperform another with the legal limitations. Durability and/or batteries are really the only differences.

The 2 meter band will usually get you a little better than line of sight in hilly country in comparison to 70 cm (FRS). The ability to use a better antenna makes the biggest difference though.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried the 3w on full power and they were still basically line of sight even above tree line. I also have the truck antenna and it did little to up the range. My buddies do rave about the 5w but I'll have to try one myself before commenting. Some people seem very passionate about radios maybe a little over board but to each there own I guess.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have some and I don't think they are that great. I bought some Marine band this fall and didn't get a chance to use them.

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve used them very successfully. I don’t thing you’ll find a better option at that price point, in fact. Get a AA battery adapter and you don’t have to worry about charging batteries.

TheCougar

WKR
I have them. I use them at 5 watt for gmrs freqs (i think it’s gmrs). I’m not a radio guru. They are definitely better made than the normal radios you get from Cabelas (midland). That being said, with the stock antenna, I had no better performance than my midlands. I did a few tests and they had identical transmit and receive limits, and i didn’t notice a difference between the VHF and UHF either. I bought an extender antenna, so I’ll be trying that out to see how it increases the range. Don’t let the zealous ham guys deter you. Stay on the standard gmrs and frs freqs and rock out at 5 watts all you want. No HAM SWAT team is going to fast rope onto your glassing knob and make a citizens arrest.

Last edited:
Just a point and maybe not fully in line with the question, but could possibly be helpful in deciding to get or not to get this radio.
I have had high end radios, low end and in between. I have used buddies radios etc..

Seems none of them are that great in the timber, ridges and out of line of sight. Some maybe a bit better.
But what I look for is a radio that is easy to hear, and understand what is said. Some of those lower end ones that boast 5-7 miles that are really 1-2 miles, you cant hardly make out what is being said.

I also look for a head phone jack option.