Late Season Water Setup...

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start out by saying that I don't get out west a lot so minimal experience with filters and water freezing in my gear.
I was in CO this last season and it was at those temps when it was freezing in the mornings but would warm a bit through the day so all the creeks were still flowing. My bladder line/bite valve froze a few mornings even though I always blow back into it after drinking. My MSR pump is heavy and slow and I am looking for better options. I took a Source 3L bladder in my pack and a nalgene. I used for mixing stuff and basically just ended up using the Nalgene for everything, I just had to stop a lot wasting time since I drink close to 2 gallons a day normally. I thought of moving to a SteriPen, but I'm unsure because I'd have a hard time drinking water that tastes funny or has any type of floaties in it. lol

So what lightweight setups are you using in that type of freezing weather that are working reliably for you?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We used a double action pump this last season in similar temps but my buddy would keep it in his sleeping bag at night in a ziplock, I am going to give the sawyer mini a go this year (still need to keep it unfrozen but its a reasonable size). I run a bladder and blow back, sometimes if it freezes up I just tuck the hose into my shirt to let body heat thaw it, tends to work when just fighting the morning freezing temps. If its stays freezing Nalgene is likely your best bet and expect to have to put it in your jacket from time to time to thaw. Hydrate heavily in the morning if you can and back off some during the day.

Owenst7

WKR
I run a standard Sawyer and just keep it in my pocket. I have a Steripen that I use sometimes if I plan to leave it unattended while I climb a peak or something. In that case, I prefilter through a bandanna or shirt or something.

If it's cold enough out to freeze your filter, I'd think most of the water would be pretty decent at that point. Mostly just springs flowing in my area around that time of year.

I believe there are some ceramic cartridges that can be frozen, but I have not really looked in to it much. The Sawyer is cheap and packable for me.

First Need XLE purifier
Was designed for SF guys pulling water out of cattle troughs in various parts of Africa
tried
Nalgene Oasis canteens 2x on the belt or wand pockets
Hydropak softflask 750 mL bungied to my shoulder harness,

530Chukar

WKR
I hunted similar temps in CO this season. Used a Steipen as my primary. It worked well during he day but not in th evenings when the temp dropped. The Steripens will throw an error light if the water is below freezing. I did have better luck keeping the steripen warm in my pocket vs inside my pack. Otherwise I would use tablets in a large platypus bag and then fill nalgenes and bladders with that in the evenings. We did have a Katadyn base camp and Sawyer freeze overnight. The Katadyn continued to work after a hard freeze but the Sawyer was toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following.

I have had valves on bladders freeze. I switch to bottles later In The season for overnight and even cold day hikes. I bought a couple of neoprene sleeves for the bottles that kept them from freezing in temps down to 20 during the day.

Purification is an issue I haven’t cracked. I know iodine doesn’t work well at low temps. Not sure about other chemical purification. Filters have to be protected from freezing. If you get ice in the filter cartridge it can crack and expand the porosity so it reduces its effectiveness. The EPA studies suggest warming water to 70 degrees or higher for chemical purification.

Hall256

WKR
Also, following. Usually use my steripen during late Fall hunting, and a Sawyer during summer backpacking. It would be nice though to have a Sawyer like filter that I would not have to worry about freezing.

Steripen sells a filter like device to put on your nalgene bottle, to filter out the "floaters". Luckily i have not had to use it (usually can find decent flowing water) so I cannot speak to its effectiveness....but it is pretty light and may be an option for people that are leary of debris in the water.

After having major issues with water freezing in both my water bladder and my nalgene during this past hunting season, I am thinking about trying out what Remi Warren does. I was listening to a podcast and he brought up what he does. I believe it was Shoot'n The Bull Podcast. This is my best recollection of what he says. He boils his water in the morning and then puts it in a yeti stainless steel water bottle. He says it stays hot all day and never freezes. He does this because during the later seasons it is so hard just to get water that the extra weight of the bottle is worth it not freezing. This has definitely got me thinking. I had to go back to camp one day during 4th season this year because all my water had froze and I had not way to get any fluids other than eating snow.

gelton

WKR
Good thread and a common problem, I ended up eating snow last year a couple of times myself. The only real cure I would think is to heat up your frozen bladder or nalgene over your stove but I normally leave my stove at camp.

Owenst7

WKR
Also, following. Usually use my steripen during late Fall hunting, and a Sawyer during summer backpacking. It would be nice though to have a Sawyer like filter that I would not have to worry about freezing.

Steripen sells a filter like device to put on your nalgene bottle, to filter out the "floaters". Luckily i have not had to use it (usually can find decent flowing water) so I cannot speak to its effectiveness....but it is pretty light and may be an option for people that are leary of debris in the water.

I have that prefilter that came with my Steripen Classic. It works, but it's so slow that I never use it. I much prefer to stretch my mosquito headnet or a rag over my bottle when I'm filling it. It doesn't seal the threads like it claims to either. There's about a 0.5mm gap above the shoulder, even with the bottle that came with the Steripen.

Extra bonus of carrying a headnet is that I pour my coffee grounds slurry through it. Way less cleanup than a French press, and it makes exactly the same tasting cup.

Last edited: