Drop camp gear

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I are doing a drop camp in Colorado this year. The outfitter has already sent me a gear list. It list Axe and splitting maul. I was already planning on bringing a small hatchet, but had not thought about a maul until I received the gear list.

What would you all recommend for an axe and maul? I have hatchets and a half sized axe already. I also have a 8lb splitting maul.

Do I need a full sized axe, and should I look for a lighter weight maul? I have seen them a light as 4 lbs.

What other gear that we would normally not think of that you did bring or wished that you have brought along that made or would have made camp life more enjoyable?

If the guide says to bring it, bring it. I'm sure there is a reason he has it on the list and the horses have to carry it so why not.

Nothing really to add on the gear front but I like Sharpy pokey things.

If I needed a full size axe and a maul I would look into fiskars.

X27 maul is a splitting machine for $50 and could double duty as an axe. For $30 more you can get and x15 chopper. One could spend a lot more but I doubt you will find that kind of function, quality and durability for less.

Owenst7

WKR
Nothing really to add on the gear front but I like Sharpy pokey things.

If I needed a full size axe and a maul I would look into fiskars.

X27 maul is a splitting machine for $50 and could double duty as an axe. For $30 more you can get and x15 chopper. One could spend a lot more but I doubt you will find that kind of function, quality and durability for less.

I got an X27 about ten years ago. Haven't touched a maul since. I can split faster with way less fatigue.

It's a bit awkward to replace a chopping axe, but I pretty much always do that work with a chainsaw or bow saw. I do have an Estwing Camp Axe that I keep in my camper shell. I'm very fond of Estwing products after using their hammers for years for carpentry.

Check out Gransfors if you have money to burn. Don't get much nicer than that.

I've never had too many Welch's fruit snacks or tarps, when I don't have to carry them on my back.

oenanthe

WKR
Check out Gransfors if you have money to burn. Don't get much nicer than that.

Granfors are awesome but I've never been able to swallow the price. If you want a decent axe for a good price, check out the Husqvarna axes (your chainsaw dealer probably carries them). They're about 1/2 the price of Granfors Bruks. Supposedly they're made by Wetterlings, just to a lower level of finish. I've got a forest axe and a splitting axe and have been very pleased. But I've never taken them on a hunt! :)

X27 maul is a splitting machine for $50 and could double duty as an axe. One could spend a lot more but I doubt you will find that kind of function, quality and durability for less.

I'm in awe every time I use mine, how well it splits vs. my old maul. Thank goodness it was a gift, I'd never have bought it myself! I don't understand it, but the results speak for themselves. Light for the amount of splitting power, and certainly serviceable as an axe for some light brushing or pruning/limbing around camp (probably not so good for felling, but I assume there will be a saw in camp).

Gorp2007

WKR
I don't know what season you'll be there, but we went through a LOT of wood on our outfitted hunt because we were heating a cook tent and a sleeping tent during 4th rifle season. I'd definitely want either a good ax or a maul or both instead of relying on a hatchet. Some other items that I would recommend based on the fact that weight isn't an issue would be:

- Hand and foot warmers
- Camp shoes/slippers
- Extra boots (why pack a single pair when you have a horse carrying all of your gear?)
- Inexpensive string of LED lights or a lantern for your tent
- Boot drying set-up. Our guide made baseball sized balls of kitty litter wrapped in pantyhose to put in his boots at night to dry them out
- Bourbon

You're paying extra to have a horse carry your gear, so there's no reason not to be comfortable.