MSR Windburner or Reactor?

I’m looking at these 2 stoves and I’m having some trouble deciding. I wish that there was an adapter to allow you to use ANY cookwear with these stoves. I’m really leaning towards the Windburner because of the complete system and all the add-ons that are available to scale the system to your needs on a particular trip. Plus, you can invert the canister in cold weather or when it’s running low. On the other hand, the Reactor is such a workhorse and so fast!

Which one would you pick, and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you cooking or boiling water? For boiling water the Reactor is a killer stove. Boils fast and in the few years running it, never had a problem with it. One of my buddies had an issue of some sort with the pot that came with the stove. He had to email MSR a picture of his crushed pot and they promptly shipped him a replacement. It was a minor issue, but when you pay good money, you want it done right. It was nice to see MSR step up and solve it quickly. Big fan of the Reactor for boiling water. Can't comment on the Windburner.

MSR Reactor Stove - Rokslide

mrgreen

WKR
I have the Windburner (mine says WindBOILER, 1st gen, apparently renamed to accommodate another company's BOIL stove). I am very happy with it, but it's a just water boiling device, I have other stoves for actual cooking (that I do only rarely). Two things of note;

If MSR had the smaller size Reactor out at the time I would have gone with that. I prefer the Reactors lower COG, even though mine's never tipped over it kind of bugs me. and I could do with less plastic.

I've looked around since reading your OP, I only find info saying NOT to use the Windburner inverted. I believe we are both referring to the frying pan remote setup here.

Just note that MSR stopped making the Reactor stove because the Windburner is pretty much the next generation of that stove. So just get the Windburner because you won't be able to find the Reactor stoves anymore. Also, the Windburner is a better stove because it has better simmer adjustments than the Reactor, which was really just a blast furnace of a stove.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I’m just using it for boiling water, really. Although, the Windburner would mak for decent true cooking with the ability to simmer.

I have the Windburner (mine says WindBOILER, 1st gen, apparently renamed to accommodate another company's BOIL stove). I am very happy with it, but it's a just water boiling device, I have other stoves for actual cooking (that I do only rarely). Two things of note;

If MSR had the smaller size Reactor out at the time I would have gone with that. I prefer the Reactors lower COG, even though mine's never tipped over it kind of bugs me. and I could do with less plastic.

I've looked around since reading your OP, I only find info saying NOT to use the Windburner inverted. I believe we are both referring to the frying pan remote setup here.

I guess I was wrong about it being able to be run inverted. Thank you for the correction

Just note that MSR stopped making the Reactor stove because the Windburner is pretty much the next generation of that stove. So just get the Windburner because you won't be able to find the Reactor stoves anymore. Also, the Windburner is a better stove because it has better simmer adjustments than the Reactor, which was really just a blast furnace of a stove.

Really?

They told me the other day that they’re waiting on a single part that’s been hard to get and that, as soon as they get it, the Reactor should be back and available on the MSR website.

mrgreen

WKR
I guess I was wrong about it being able to be run inverted. Thank you for the correction

They told me the other day that they’re waiting on a single part that’s been hard to get and that, as soon as they get it, the Reactor should be back and available on the MSR website.

You're welcome, and it looks like the Reactor is still available, except for the 1 liter size which seems to be discontinued.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Just spoke with MSR/Cascade Designs and they confirmed that the Reactor IS part of the 2018 product line and that there’s NO plan to remove it. They said rumors arose out of it being “out of stock” for so long; but that they are only rumors. The issue is a SINGLE critical part that they have had a very difficult time obtaining. They expected it almost 2 months ago and are not even giving out an eta currently because of all the hassles getting it. “It’s a very difficult situation”

gelton

WKR
Just spoke with MSR/Cascade Designs and they confirmed that the Reactor IS part of the 2018 product line and that there’s NO plan to remove it. They said rumors arose out of it being “out of stock” for so long; but that they are only rumors. The issue is a SINGLE critical part that they have had a very difficult time obtaining. They expected it almost 2 months ago and are not even giving out an eta currently because of all the hassles getting it. “It’s a very difficult situation”

Good to know. I have an old Jet Boil Sol that is still kicking but I always like to have a backup and am not fond of Jet Boils non support of the hunting community. If I get a new one I have always had my eye on the reactor. Another option would be Soto Windmaster with Snow Peak 900 titanium pot set...lighter and more versatile.

mrgreen

WKR

Good deal, thanks for the clarification.

Grumman

WKR
I prefer the Reactor because of the pot handle. I feel safer with that as opposed to a Jetboil type pot without a handle. I find it easier to get on/off the stove and less risk to spill and cause a burn which would suck in the backcountry

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m looking at these 2 stoves and I’m having some trouble deciding. I wish that there was an adapter to allow you to use ANY cookwear with these stoves. I’m really leaning towards the Windburner because of the complete system and all the add-ons that are available to scale the system to your needs on a particular trip. Plus, you can invert the canister in cold weather or when it’s running low. On the other hand, the Reactor is such a workhorse and so fast!

Which one would you pick, and why?

If you want to do anything other than boil water the Reactor is your best bet unless you really want to be able to use the accessories. Your choice though really comes down to what you plan to use it for.

The Reactor is slightly faster at boiling water, you can simmer and it is slightly lighter. It is the best option out of the two for backpack hunting IMO, but it is more expensive.

The Windburner is a great stove though and I use it all the time for backpack hunts, particularly if boiling water is all I need to do.

And just to reiterate, both stoves are going to be around in 2018 and there are no plans to get rid of it. We are still waiting on our 2018 shipment, but that’s due to a manufacturing issue.

I own both but the Wind burner is my back up. The reactor is a great stove and boils water really fast. I've been nothing but impressed and would recommend it to anyone. I am on season 3 with my Reactor and its still going strong.

I just have the reactor, its tough as nails and does ifs job. Just don’t lean over it while lighting if you like your facial hair.

Anyone know if msr plans to any other than a pot to the reactor? Like a frying pan? I’m also interested in the reactor but like to fry up fish and game while I’m out.

ljalberta

WKR
2018 Windburner option looks intriguing to me. I'll probably get one at some point for backpacking with the wife when we do a lot of actual cooking. I like the skillet and pot options as well as how the canister sits to the side.

dotman

WKR
After my jetboil sol caught fire and melted I went with a windburner, I really like it and it does what it is supposed to, I also like the frying pan which works great as well. I haven’t tried the Reactor but it probably is more bombproof then the windburner but the windburner has worked well for me the last 2 seasons.

boom

WKR
GREAT thread. timely.

my JB went tits up this weekend in the Mojave. it only went to about a quarter power..any can of fuel, any temp.

I
Anyone know if msr plans to any other than a pot to the reactor? Like a frying pan? I’m also interested in the reactor but like to fry up fish and game while I’m out.

There are rings/stands you can get that allow you use a frying pan. I don’t know if they work and have only seen them on ebay