Back pack stove

What back pack stove and pot are y'all running. And lighter the better ingest for hunting out your back pack. Do y'all use the same pot for coffee and boiling water ? I seen a good light weight budget stove is the brs. But I see slot if people using jetboil. Just curious what yall are using

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Grouser1

FNG
I've been using an MSR Shaker (white gas) since 2000 because it would just never quit and has never failed in any condition. Recently bought a jet boil to lighten up. Untested at this point. I'll still bring my titanium coffee cup along. Good luck.

oldgoat

WKR
Jet Boil till recently and I bought an MSR Windburner I think it's called, just do the pots that came with them so far. We make instant coffee with the Starbucks Vias, pretty good stuff, just dump powder in your cup and add boiling water, Dark Timber coffee has a tea bag style coffee that's decent but slower to make too get it strong enough by steeping it long enough to get strong enough. Way I understand it, Jetboil is not hunter friendly and MSR is at least hunter neutral if not friendly. Only downfall of MSR over Jetboil is MSR doesn't have an ignitor built in so you need some kind of external spark source. I think it's a better stove though.

I bought a Jet boil and then discovered they are not hunter friendly. I am looking at the MSR Wind burner. Hoping my jet boil crashes soon so I can upgrade, of it doesn't I will seek out a decent sale. I got my Jet boil minimo on sale for around $75.
It is a great stove, never gives me any issues, and just plain works.

I use the pot that came with it for everything. I love that it has a self igniting system on board.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Kovea Spider-probably not the lightest stove out there? I liked it for a few reasons: I can turn the flame up or down and it has a hose to run the canister remotely. That includes upside down if the temps get really low. I haven't settled on the pot yet, but leaning towards a small Ti one like my friend let me borrow (can't remember the name at the moment).

Jeremy

DIY beer can alcohol stove. Boils water to rehydrate a meal just fine up to 12,500 ft. I've not had an opportunity to try it higher. weighs nothing. Maintenance free.
Haven't used my MSR Dragonfly going on 5 years.

i did a comparison between cheap backpack stoves this week. I bought a BRS 25g, an MSR pocket rocket 2, and a Primus classic / mini trail.

I do boil times, fuel consumption and weight so my backpacking brothers know the low down before dropping the $$

Mike.
BMM Gearlab: Backpacking stove Face off Pt 3/3 Lixada / BRS 25g Mini - YouTube

if you wanna check it out

Thanks for the video, I picked up a BRS stove a little while ago, but haven’t used it. I’m curious if anyone has experience with it under field conditions, particularly with cold and elevation. It’s appealing because of the size and weight, but I have a hard time trusting it compared to more established stoves.

OP
raysting06
OP
raysting06
Question. Why are y'all finding that the jetboils aren't hunter friendly?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Soto windmaster with snow peak trek titanium pot. The 2 together come in at 6.5oz. Had my stove take a spill at 60mph on to pavement and still worked flawlessly for the following 10 days ( just a tad bent) and I have no plans to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jet Boil till recently and I bought an MSR Windburner I think it's called, just do the pots that came with them so far. We make instant coffee with the Starbucks Vias, pretty good stuff, just dump powder in your cup and add boiling water, Dark Timber coffee has a tea bag style coffee that's decent but slower to make too get it strong enough by steeping it long enough to get strong enough. Way I understand it, Jetboil is not hunter friendly and MSR is at least hunter neutral if not friendly. Only downfall of MSR over Jetboil is MSR doesn't have an ignitor built in so you need some kind of external spark source. I think it's a better stove though.

I don’t think the lack of an onboard igniter is a downfall since the JetBoil igniter is notorious for failure. You can buy a MSR igniter that’s all by weightless and I’ve always got a mini Bic lighter in my possibles pouch. They’re jus plain handy. Then, there’s all the other problems the JetBoil stoves have including catching fire. There are more negative comments about JetBoil online than all the other stoves combined, when I was researching for a new stove. Very few failure comments about the MSR Reactor and Windburners.

Yeah, it’s hard to beat Starbucks instant. I just HATE contributing $$ to their leftist anti-gun, anti-hubting, PETA-loving coffers. But boy is it nice in the morning! Lol!

oldgoat

WKR
I don’t think the lack of an onboard igniter is a downfall since the JetBoil igniter is notorious for failure. You can buy a MSR igniter that’s all by weightless and I’ve always got a mini Bic lighter in my possibles pouch. They’re jus plain handy. Then, there’s all the other problems the JetBoil stoves have including catching fire. There are more negative comments about JetBoil online than all the other stoves combined, when I was researching for a new stove. Very few failure comments about the MSR Reactor and Windburners.

Yeah, it’s hard to beat Starbucks instant. I just HATE contributing $$ to their leftist anti-gun, anti-hubting, PETA-loving coffers. But boy is it nice in the morning! Lol!

Yeah, it didn't slow me down not having an ignitor but it would be nicer if it did. My wife works for Kroger in a Starbucks Kiosk so only part of the money goes to Starbucks, lol. I like the Dark Timber coffee bags but they need to be darker roast which he was working on last I talked to him on here, they do take longer to steep though, the original dark ones were pretty good if you had water hot enough and steeped them long enough, doing that they were better than Vias

nrh6.7

WKR

You could always post your kill photo on their facebook page giving them all the credit for keeping you up to slaughter that elk!! : )

Napperm4

WKR
I can’t say enough good about the Soto microregulator stove.

Soto Micro Regulator Stove

I’ve had mine going on 5 years, has to have a few hundred hours on it by now (Coffee addict). It’s handled anything I’ve been able to throw it’s way. Great in wind especially with the wind screen. The original igniter still works. Stove and storage sack come in at a hair over 2 oz. the thing is about half the size of a pocket rocket folded up.

For a pot solo I use either a snowpeak ti 900 or more recently a sea to summit x kettle. (Depends if I’m packing the wood stove for the shelter or not)

When the wife tags along I have an evernew ti 2L pot.

The stove and small canister fit easily in a mug with the windscreen and Spork.

The entire setup is so light I pack it around all day for coffee breaks. Takes no time at all to boil at elevation even down into -20’s (both freedom units and Celsius)

a9879b7ca18b0f76e7a24cb37c5e009b.jpg

Hard to beat a hot cup of joe and some oatmeal on a chilly morning glassing.

Mt Al

WKR
BRS cheapo, titanium cup/pot, starbucks "leftist morning lift" via coffee pouches. Just nice to have some coffee when glassing.

The fuel and via pouches go in the pot. BRS and lighter on top in the stuff sack.

I have a jetboil and it's great. Just a little too much when not going overnight.