Favorite brand of Freeze Dried meals??

Hawkvittles have been great the past 3 season's. The Hot Italian sausage and pasta is my favorite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
They may have updated their menu, but their staples are their chicken chili, red rock chili, beef stew, and one other chicken dish (caldera something). You can not go wrong with those options.

As for the size, yes they are smaller in portion than Mountain House, but the ingredients they use seem to fill you up better (in my opinion).

Take a beef stew along with you on your next trip, you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I would agree with this. Idk if I just wasn't starving but I didn't finish either meal when I cooked them.

Chawn_C

FNG
This guy operates on a small batch, at-home sort of setup. But, his food is clean, reasonably priced, and freaking amazing tasting! I'm partial, I suppose because he's semi local, but the food is amazing and the packaging is excellent.

HawK VittleS

TravisIN

WKR
Off grid blueberry rad oatmeal is delicious. I eat it sometimes just for a normal breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Off grid blueberry rad oatmeal is delicious. I eat it sometimes just for a normal breakfast

I’ve been interested in trying their food but kind of want to wait until they have entrees so I don’t pay shipping twice.

NDGuy

WKR
This guy operates on a small batch, at-home sort of setup. But, his food is clean, reasonably priced, and freaking amazing tasting! I'm partial, I suppose because he's semi local, but the food is amazing and the packaging is excellent.

HawK VittleS

Another one I want to try. But man $15 for an entree seems steep.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
In a podcast we just did with Ryan from HHH (shameless plug, it will be out soon) , we chatted a lot about how he dehydrates his regular dinners for meals on hunting trips. It sounds like he has been doing this for a while and has it down to a science. I plan on trying it this year and will have him on speed dial!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

92xj

WKR
In a podcast we just did with Ryan from HHH (shameless plug, it will be out soon) , we chatted a lot about how he dehydrates his regular dinners for meals on hunting trips. It sounds like he has been doing this for a while and has it down to a science. I plan on trying it this year and will have him on speed dial!!!

A good place to start is with the base/pasta of couscous. Buy the box at the store of your flavor of choice, separate the box(WITHOUT COOKING) into 2 or 3 portions and dump into bag. Then decide your protein and sauce. Cook protein or sauce or whatever you want with your pasta as you would normally, dehydrate until its hard gravel and then dump into bag with couscous, and you're done. Way easy and incredibly hard to screw up when starting out.

My first meal was chicken breast chopped up and browned in skillet, dumped in a can of cream of mushroom and cooked for a bit until chicken was done. I then separate serving sizes and place in dehydrator. Once dried I dumped into a vacuumed seal bag that has the ziplock opening on the one end that had a serving size of roasted garlic and olive oil cous couse that I found at Walmart. Turned out amazing and stupid simple.

hopefully that makes sense.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
A good place to start is with the base/pasta of couscous. Buy the box at the store of your flavor of choice, separate the box(WITHOUT COOKING) into 2 or 3 portions and dump into bag. Then decide your protein and sauce. Cook protein or sauce or whatever you want with your pasta as you would normally, dehydrate until its hard gravel and then dump into bag with couscous, and you're done. Way easy and incredibly hard to screw up when starting out.

My first meal was chicken breast chopped up and browned in skillet, dumped in a can of cream of mushroom and cooked for a bit until chicken was done. I then separate serving sizes and place in dehydrator. Once dried I dumped into a vacuumed seal bag that has the ziplock opening on the one end that had a serving size of roasted garlic and olive oil cous couse that I found at Walmart. Turned out amazing and stupid simple.

THANK YOU!!! I need all the help I can get and I am super excited to try that!

92xj

WKR
THANK YOU!!! I need all the help I can get and I am super excited to try that!

Here's a picture so you know what you're looking for at the store. they are $3-$4 a box, this ad is for multiple boxes, I couldn't find a single serve on the internet.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Near-East-Wild-Mushroom-Herb-Couscous-5-4-oz-Pack-of-12/17236314

Another that I did that turned out awesome was...
Brown ground elk, break it up as finely as possible in the skillet. Dehydrate until gravel like.
Dice an onion and dehydrate that at the same time as elk. When elk is done the onion will be done.
Throw those two in a bag with the broc&cheese couscous, easy peasy and very tasty on the mountain.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Near-East-Broccoli-Cheese-Couscous-Mix-5-4-oz-Pack-of-12/17236306

You'll have to do one at home to get your hot water amounts right before heading out though.
My food serving size bags take about 1.5 cups of boiling water. Throw the water in the bag, zip it up and into a food cozy I made out of foil bubble wrap and let it do it's thing for 30 minutes or more while you get camp set up, open and eat.

Apollo117

WKR

This is spot on. Dehydrating your own food is likely cheaper than buying several cases of MH meals per year too. A Nesco FD-75A dehydrator is $75 and a good vacuum sealer and bags are about $60. Dehydrating your own food is definitely healthier. MH have a lot of sodium.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
This is spot on. Dehydrating your own food is likely cheaper than buying several cases of MH meals per year too. A Nesco FD-75A dehydrator is $75 and a good vacuum sealer and bags are about $60. Dehydrating your own food is definitely healthier. MH have a lot of sodium.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Isn’t one of the reasons for higher sodium to replace the salt you lose from sweating? I’m no health nut but thought that’s what I saw on some article.

Isn’t one of the reasons for higher sodium to replace the salt you lose from sweating? I’m no health nut but thought that’s what I saw on some article.

Lawyer approved precaution/preservative

92xj

WKR
Here's a picture so you know what you're looking for at the store. they are $3-$4 a box, this ad is for multiple boxes, I couldn't find a single serve on the internet.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Near-East-Wild-Mushroom-Herb-Couscous-5-4-oz-Pack-of-12/17236314

Brown ground elk, break it up as finely as possible in the skillet. Dehydrate until gravel like.
Dice an onion and dehydrate that at the same time as elk. When elk is done the onion will be done.
Throw those two in a bag with the broc&cheese couscous, easy peasy and very tasty on the mountain.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Near-East-Broccoli-Cheese-Couscous-Mix-5-4-oz-Pack-of-12/17236306

You'll have to do one at home to get your hot water amounts right before heading out though.
My food serving size bags take about 1.5 cups of boiling water. Throw the water in the bag, zip it up and into a food cozy I made out of foil bubble wrap and let it do it's thing for 30 minutes or more while you get camp set up, open and eat.

I'd also highly recommend making your meals in these bags...quart size I believe is what I used (I ordered from amazon but looks like amazon is out of the quart size)
OutOfAir 8" x 12" (Quart size) - 4 Mil Zipper - Commercial Grade Vacuum Sealer Bags - 50 Bags - OutOfAir

put in food, vacuum seal and store wherever. Then just open and unzip the ziplok end,add your water and zip up for the hydrating part.

Make a food cozy that fits around your bag using this...
Shop Reflectix 50-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (24-in W x 25-ft L) at Lowes.com
mended together with foil tape...
Shop 3M 1.88-in W x 150-ft L HVAC Tape at Lowes.com

Food cozy build... remember when measuring for cozy size to remember the bag with dry food will expand in size when water is added so make sure cozy is big enough to hold bag with food when hydrated.
https://sectionhiker.com/diy-freezer-bag-cooking-cozy/

open food bag, add water, zip closed, throw in food cozy, eat.

Last edited:

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

You had me at ‘elk’. I will be trying out both of these recipes this week! Thank you again!