Field sharpening?

colersu22

WKR
What are you guys taking with you in a hunt or into the field to keep an edge on your knives? I have been looking at the worksharp field sharpener and it looks like a solid option for touching up an edge. Anyone use the worksharp or have other recommendations for a light weight option?

Ronb

WKR
68716448e613dcee0c3aa4f47ddf8c28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
6edb1f0bf9348d9de6b71bbd44138070.jpg

Lost my havalon last year, so I switched to an esse azula. Was always worried about cutting myself with the havalon. Funny thing, I never did. But I cut myself on my first skinning with the esse. Go figure?

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
If going light is your concern a couple pieces of sandpaper can't be beat. I also have a small fallkniven stone but I don't carry it with me.

My knives also have convex edges so these methods work well.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a speedy sharp. Amazingly fast, doesn't give you a perfectly tuned up edge but I only use Mora's and I'm not concerned about trying to maintain a pretty edge, just want it sharp and fast. On occasion I'll carry a blue and red DMT sharpener as well.

qG4INac.jpg

I use one of the credit card sized diamond stones. I carry it in my wallet all year, and transfer it to my field kit during the season.

Napperm4

WKR
I can vouch for the worksharp. I keep one in the truck and one at basecamp. Usually I have a lansky X in my pack when I’m counting grams or if I just need to tune an edge during a skinning job.

I love the job you can do with the worksharp though. I’ve rebuilt a few blades in the field back to shaving sharp in a few minutes after they’ve taken a beating during big skin and debone jobs. The broadhead wrench built in is a nice option too after pulling out of a stump.