Backpacking lanterns

I have a cheap ozark trail led light I got at Walmart just for giggles. I was really surprised how much I liked having it hanging in my tent. I’ll use it for now. It isn’t high tech or super lite but it was cheap and works.

colonel00

WKR
where do folks find a good (preferable cheap) bulk supply of the primus micron lantern mantles?
eBay. I think last order I got 3 packs of three (9 mantles total) for $25 or so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
For backpacking I use 2 Luci lights, one is left hanging on a branch to charge up and the second one I always have in my backpack so that when I kill something I have a secondary light to my headlamp. I recently left them on to see how long they lasted from a full charge and got 14 hours out of them, I have been really happy with them but you do need to have 5 or 6 hours of sunlight to charge them.

I would like to have one that had a switch and sensor so that it would turn on automatically at dark, it would be nice to come back to a lit up camp after what happened to me this last elk hunt, it's a long story but there was some dude in my tepee and I was alone and 2 miles into a wilderness area in NM.

Do they make a light with an automatic turn on sensor?

colonel00

WKR
Do they make a light with an automatic turn on sensor?

Not that I've seen. Would be nice and fairly simple I think to implement a light sensor. I guess then you'd have to create more modes on when the sensor was active and when it wasn't. Let's say the sensor turns the light on at dark, you come back and turn the light off before bed. You'd have to "reset" it somehow for it to have the sensor active for the next evening.

JPD350

WKR
Not that I've seen. Would be nice and fairly simple I think to implement a light sensor. I guess then you'd have to create more modes on when the sensor was active and when it wasn't. Let's say the sensor turns the light on at dark, you come back and turn the light off before bed. You'd have to "reset" it somehow for it to have the sensor active for the next evening.

I would think it would be as simple as a switch.

Another use would be if you kill during the afternoon and plan on coming back for another load just leave the light hanging over the kill and when you come back at night the light is on, as you approached you would be able to see it from a good distance

Cuddles were had.

Lol I can assure you nothing like that happened but yea I have heard some really bad jokes! I'll type it up one of these days

Read1t48

WKR
I have used the micron lantern a bit. It's pretty amazing. If I used it to heat up my shelter, do I need to be concerned about carbon monoxide or other hazards?
How long could you safely run it in a tipi with typical ventilation?
I wouldn't use it as a heater persay but what if I fell asleep with it on?

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered a Primus Micron because of all the good reviews. Stoked to try it out in my Redcliff. Grabbed a few xtra mantles as well..

how much heat do those put out?

+3 on the Micron with metal mesh screen. I never leave home without it.

tqrriTZ.jpg

rayporter

WKR
the most you can get is about 8000 BTU with a propane lantern.

think of it as a gas cook stove. for comparison, a 1500 watt electric heater puts out just over 5000 BTUs.

AndyB

WKR
Another option is the Colemand F1 lite lantern. Bit cheaper then the primus, cant say how they compare as I've never tried the Primus.

It definitely add some heat to my tipi.

NDGuy

WKR
For backpacking I use 2 Luci lights

I was pissed I hesitated on buying them off Amazon they were $11 each. Must have been a pricing error as it changed back to $19.99 within a half hour.

thanks, I was just curious if they would take the chill of in a tent on a cool dark september morning. at that out put they should I think.

the most you can get is about 8000 BTU with a propane lantern.

think of it as a gas cook stove. for comparison, a 1500 watt electric heater puts out just over 5000 BTUs.