Backpacking lanterns

BRWNBR

WKR
What have you guys used? I’ve got an old brunton that I used for the first time this fall and loved it. But it’s a decade old, what’s out there now that guys are using?

rayporter

WKR
i have an old coleman gasoline backpacker that is small enough to use on floats or horseback but to carry it on my back-no way.

before leds I carried a carbide light a lot. but it does not put out much light. I still have grand dads carbide light. my dads light still works but carbide is getting hard to find as are parts.

4ester

WKR
I use the Luci Lantern. Not super bright, but small, no batteries or fuel to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
We generally just use the Luci Lights, also have a couple of the mini butane single mantle lanterns. If I'm in a shelter without a stove I take the butane ones, they can take the chill off in a small shelter!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Ya I’d be most interested in dual purpose. Ie. light and heat.

While not something that will generate heat, I packed one of these (Black Diamond Moji Lantern) on a backpack mountain goat hunt this year. Worked great clipped to the top of my tent. They weigh 3 ozs (without batteries) and run on 3 AAAs. They cast a nice, wide light and it allowed me to save the batteries in my headlight (and the area light was nicer than the headlight for camp/tent activities IMO). They make a small size and a big size (Moji XP, which runs on 3 AA batteries). You want the small one for a lightweight, backpack hunt.

Amazon.com : Black Diamond Moji Lanterns, Coral Pink : Sports & Outdoors

colonel00

WKR
+1 on the Primus lantern when you want light and heat. It puts out enough heat to warm a good sized shelter (Kifaru Sawtooth). The obvious penalty is the extra fuel you'd have to carry. The last time I used mine, I typically used it for short periods when I was going to bed or getting up in the morning. Much faster than lighting a wood stove just for a little warmth and some light to changes clothes and crawl in or out of bed.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
+2 primus micron with metal screen. I was impressed with the light output for such a small package. We do a lot of boat camping and I will be bringing this instead of the full sized Colman lantern. It puts off enough light for cards/dinner at the table and super easy to transport.

Akicita

WKR
+3 on the Micron with metal mesh screen. I never leave home without it.

tqrriTZ.jpg

huntcoop

WKR
How would that little Primus guy heat up say a BA Copper Spur UL1? I'm thinking.... ya wake up with some frost on the 'ol pumpkin and want to take the edge off before climbing out of the warm sleepin' sac...and how does it pack up? Does the mantle break when backpacking with it packed away?

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
My brunton lantern has a wire mesh mantle. Never needs to be replaced.

76 unit

I went with the battery operated set up. It collapses down and can be used as a flash light or opens up and can be a great lantern for the tipi.
Amazon.com : Suaoki Led Camping Lantern Lights Rechargeable Battery (Powered By Solar Panel and USB Charging) Collapsible Mini Flashlight for Outdoor Hiking Camping Tent Garden Patio(Emergency Charger for Phone, Water-Resistant, Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

I had the small gas lantern, had issues with it plugging up and not accepting fuel. I also had a mantel break. I tried using it to heat my tipi in the AM to take the chill off in my redcliffe but it was very cold and this is a bigger tent than most solo guys use. All problems easy enough to work with, but I just got used to the hassle free way with a battery type lantern. I use all the same battery set ups that are rechargeable, so I never carry extra batteries for any of them. I carry 2 - 28000 mah battery packs and am good for 7-10 days.redcliffe night.jpg

This also serves as a battery pack as it has a small micro usb for charging it or offering its charge to another item.

jdk81

FNG
+5 on the Primus Micron. Great lantern! Also provides good amount of heat as stated..