Pros as cons of MSR pocket rocket?

I used to carry a PR And titanium pot as back up but it burns so much more fuel than my jet boil.

I'd like to compare actual fuel burn for boiling a fixed amount of water. Yes, the PR burns more fuel per second, but it boils water in half the time. I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has a jetboil so we can do a controlled experiment at home.

Jauwater

WKR
If you can find it, I can’t, Aron Snyder made a video with a friend comparing I think it was a MSR Windburner (some what similar style to a Jetboil) and his friend using a pocket rocket. It was mountain conditions, so there was wind. If I’m remembering it right anyway, was a long time ago I seen the video, the PR took much longer. I’ve also tested the the PR and Jetboil side by side in some what of a breeze, and in my test it was similar with the PR taking much longer. And I was using a wind block on the PR. If you are using the stoves in a situation with no breeze then I’m sure their really close. Obviously we all have had some different experiences with the stoves, but I’d assume our experiences took place in different climates. I’m certainly not bashing the PR it is a great stove, and has pros over the Jetboil. I’ve used both stoves (different years) for 30+ days straight thru hiking. When I first started thru hiking about 3 years ago I started with the PR. It did the job fine no doubt, but I was purchasing more fuel canisters during resupplies that first year then I have the last two years.

This year imma try something a little different. Not trying to save any weight, but gonna try to save some space so I can use a smaller pack. I’m gonna carry two Klean Kanteens with one of those old school Primus stoves. You can remove the top grill by compressing the bottom pressure plate, and the 27oz Klean Kanteen fits perfectly on top of the stove with the grill removed. The way the flame comes from the side of the stove and not the middle it heats the Klean Kanteen really fast. Imma leave the wind screen home cause I’ll be staying in mostly shelters so hopefully wind will be minuscule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you can find it, I can’t, Aron Snyder made a video with a friend comparing I think it was a MSR Windburner (some what similar style to a Jetboil) and his friend using a pocket rocket. It was mountain conditions, so there was wind. The PR took almost twice as long. I’ve also tested the the PR and Jetboil side by side in some what of a breeze, and in my test it was similar with the PR taking much longer.

I think this is more of a function of the pot being used with the PR. I noticed this when I was using my Snow Peak 700 and I'm sure this goes for all titanium pots; they lose heat out the sides and lid to a breeze just as fast as you can pump heat in. I'm sure if you put a neoprene sleeve on them like the Jetboil it would help significantly. The Olicamp XTS pot has a silicone lid, is aluminum and has fins to help it absorb more heat from the stove, so it isn't as susceptible to this; but I've thought about buying a propane tank warmer designed for ice fishing and try to modify it to work. FishUSA Propane Tank Warmer : FishUSA

If I do the experiment I'll borrow a Windburner or Reactor from Snyder as well.

Jauwater

WKR
It may have been the reactor now that you mention it. I like that warmer that’s pretty slick.

This is what I’m hoping to accomplish this summer. We’ll see how it goes. Gonna need one of those fuel stabilizers

26ecbc1bbe7abfdaf001d9e0c4b350a6.jpg

a43b66891f6fee1301262d6950cc7575.jpg

BRWNBR

WKR
And loosen that lid before you get that water to hot! And before it cools back down!

Jauwater

WKR
And loosen that lid before you get that water to hot! And before it cools back down!

So far I’ve been leaving the cap a little loose, and I tie a banana around the neck of the bottle so I can handle it. It’s not the best setup by no means, but as far as the items going in my bag canister/cup/stove it’s about half the size of the Jetboil Zip I was using. Gonna use a Umlindi this season so I’m trying to save every inch inside the pack I can.

Jauwater

WKR
That’s a bandana not a banana. I’ve been dooped.

Bahahahahaha my bad man I just realized. I must just skim words these days rather then reading them out, lol. I can’t believe I didn’t realize my talk to text was reading banana. Gotta bad southern accent.

BRWNBR

WKR
Lol that’s awesome! I was wondering if you were actually using some sorta fruit!!figured it was a auto correct thing or something.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the Jet Boul for everything. At 6000’ I did some burn times for the Jet Boil. Using the 110gram Snow Peak fuel, I was able to get 14, 32 ounce water boils out of it. I only use it for dinners and an occasional warm drink, so one canister gets me through a week of hunting. That is why the Jet Boil always gets to go hunting. The Pocket Rocket would need two canisters to get me through one week.

1st that’s a Nice pressure cooker dude.
2nd, where some eyepro while you’re cooking

So here’s a couple pictures of the current JB that I’m using.
Just for curiosity’s sake I think I’ll go ahead and try out the PR. The Ruta Locura system looks interesting as well.
Ruta Locura BRS-3000T Titanium Stove
3f44c2a9bbd13d6de997af79d6c35955.jpg

1ab7dd89e3f3e34d80ce77ab0dd46d01.jpg

As it goes into the field, lighter not included, because it’s not needed.
d08db4d83cf80df31ea19fffb2a21623.jpg

c3fb39f996728e375d49bf812edb93c1.jpg

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
So here’s a couple pictures of the current JB that I’m using.
Just for curiosity’s sake I think I’ll go ahead and try out the PR. The Ruta Locura system looks interesting as well.
Ruta Locura BRS-3000T Titanium Stove
3f44c2a9bbd13d6de997af79d6c35955.jpg

1ab7dd89e3f3e34d80ce77ab0dd46d01.jpg

As it goes into the field, lighter not included, because it’s not needed.
d08db4d83cf80df31ea19fffb2a21623.jpg

c3fb39f996728e375d49bf812edb93c1.jpg

I'd be curious as to fuel consumption for the Ruta, I had never heard of that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk