Pros as cons of MSR pocket rocket?

DavePwns

WKR
It seems like a lot of people use the jet boil system, however I'm not sure why someone would use such a heavy set up compared to a MSR pocket rocket with a titanium mini pot. Are there drawbacks to using the lightweight minimalistic stove?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
PR is great solid little stove I have used for years. Only cons I see is can be tippy with larger pot so needs hole or support. At times needs wind screen so I carry some heavier foil. No electronic striker so I put an MSR loose one in with stove and always have a lighter along anyway.

Jauwater

WKR
I really like how easy the Jetboil packs up. And if you compare the efficiency of the two I think the Jetboil beats it out in every way, except maybe weight. I built a system with a pocket rocket, Titanium cup large enough to fit gas canister, Titanium wind screen, and small collapsible bowl. I did this all in effort thinking I’d save weight, and packing size which I’m not so sure I did either. Definitely was more to setup, and was not as efficient as the Jetboil. Your definitely saving weight if your just using a pocket rocket, gas canister, and Small Titanium cup. But you are losing efficiency that way, and according to how long of a trip your on you may use up your gas canister sooner. Which may force you to bring a second canister on your next trip if you plan on a extended outing.

This has been my experience anyway with the two stoves. I really think it’s what your using your stove for. If your just boiling water for coffee, oatmeal, or noodles. The pocket rocket did fine for me cause I was only boiling less then a cup of water at a time. But say your boiling two cups of water each morning an evening for those freeze dried meals the Jetboil is gonna make that happen more efficiently for you.

I’m thinking about getting one of those Jetboil Mini Mo’s to try out. Things are about half the size of a Jetboil Flash, but the price point seems high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither the pr nor the jb is the easiest to actually cook on. If Real cooking is in the agenda I’ll bring the msr whisperlight. i have dx ‘d my pr and ti pot for a jetboil at this point due to the more harmonious union of the components and the feeling that it was genuinely more effcient after running the pr/ti side by side with my buddies jetboil enough times to make me envious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A pocket rocket will never fail you. It's a great simple and cheap stove. Like stated before it's slower and needs a wind block in stuff breeze

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A couple of Mt House packages make a decent wind screen with a PR, used is best as they can melt. Also easy to build a nice wind screen from slabby rocks where I Sheep hunt. I still run an ancient PR with an MSR titanium pit and like how small the components pack up.

BRWNBR

WKR
PR sucks fuel compared to a jet boil. After you carry the extra fuel the jet boil probably would be lighter anyway. I can do a 8 day Sheep hunt with two guys on one can of fuel for my jet boil. Was around 4 when I used my pocket rocket.

BRWNBR

WKR
Not the tiny ones that fit in the jet boil but the next size up. About the size of my fist. Not the jumbo.

I also like how I can hold my jet boil while it cooks. Not two separate pieces. Inside the tent it works great, never have to worry about a pot slipping off the burner. All once unit is good thinking.

I’ve been using a PR since 2005, and the only con I have with it is the extended boil time for Water at higher elevations. Not really a big deal, just my experience. I put a small canister and the PR in a Vargo with a lighter and a handkerchief as my cooking set up. I can make enough water for a MH meal and a cup of tea or coffee.

I don't have any experience with the PR but I have been using a JB now for about 8 or 9 years and although it's not the lightest system out there, it has been super reliable, and simple to use. About 20 oz. with long handle titanium spoon and small fuel canister, but I can easily get a weeks worth of meals out of it and if I focus on conserving fuel, I can push it to 10 days.

BRWNBR

WKR
Melted sheep fat in a jet boil, thin sliced tenderloin added to it. Boom. The mountains are calling.

mtnkid85

WKR
When weight counts I generally choose my pocket rocket, ti pot and my aluminum foil wind screen. It works fine.
In my opinion the only thing the jetfoil has going for it is its ease of use/packability. Ill sometimes carry it on day trips for that quick cup of warm up tea.

handwerk

WKR
Although I do I have a jet boil I've been using the PR for many years and most times it's been a good fit, 11 years ago we spent 18 days in AK camping with our three kids and got all types of cooking done with the PR, since then the kids have gotten PR's from Santa, nice and simple.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
I'm curious what the actual fuel efficiency difference is between the two

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I have a Microrocket - similar to the PR stove from MSR. It's a good stove for boiling water and keeping it lightweight. I've also cooked eggs, steaks, and other meal on it. It does the job! However, I do think there are a few better options out there. For a lightweight stove, I would go with a Soto Windmaster or Amicus - for better wind resistance. If you're looking to do more cooking, want the ultimate wind resistance, and don't mind the weight, I think it's hard to beat the new 2018 Windburner options. My micro rocket stove also had one of the supports bend, so I've just sent it in for warranty. MSR has great warranty and customer service though.

I run a PR v1 with a Olicamp XTS pot and I think it's the best cook system you can get for the money or even regardless of money. Boil times are usually between 1-1:30 min which is far faster than other stoves I've tried. As someone noted above, it is a little top heavy, but I got the Jetboil plastic stabilizer and it works great. I really would like to get the PR2 for the smaller packed size, but I've been fighting off the GIF as there's more important things on my list. The only major disadvantage of the PR is it's focused flame doesn't make it ideal for throwing on a frying pan for cooking fish or something like that as one spot will be significantly hotter.

I run a PR v1 with a Olicamp XTS pot and I think it's the best cook system you can get for the money or even regardless of money. Boil times are usually between 1-1:30 min which is far faster than other stoves I've tried. As someone noted above, it is a little top heavy, but I got the Jetboil plastic stabilizer and it works great. I really would like to get the PR2 for the smaller packed size, but I've been fighting off the GIF as there's more important things on my list. The only major disadvantage of the PR is it's focused flame doesn't make it ideal for throwing on a frying pan for cooking fish or something like that as one spot will be significantly hotter.

I used to run the PR and XTS combo but I have upgraded to the Pocket rocket 2 and I think it's worth it simply for the fact that the stand arms are better and mostly because now the stove (no case) will fit inside either the 1L Olicamp XTS with 8oz fuel or a 750ml Ti pot (Toaks) with a 4oz fuel can. I also always have a piece of Alum foil folded up inside that can be used for a windscreen and a Mini bic lighter.

I have gone side by side with a buddy's Jetboil, both with new fuel cans, and the PR (or PR2) & Olicamp XTS combo is faster to boil, smaller when packed & lighter overall.

Most of the time now I use the PR2 and the 750ml pot. Its just so small and compact and can get me through a week if I don't go crazy. If I was cooking for 2 people for a week I would use the Olicamp XLS & 8oz fuel combo.

I don't see why anyone uses the jetboils, especially since they don't make the titanium versions anymore.

BRWNBR

WKR
I use a jet boil because it’s easy fast and I can cook anywhere. I’ve cooked while walking around. One piece setup makes cooking in a tent or vestibule awesome. I used to carry a PR And titanium pot as back up but it burns so much more fuel than my jet boil. So now I just have a second jet boil as my back up stove. I typically only heat water. I’m not often trying to actually cook stuff. Still lighter than carrying the extra fuel for my PR. Unless the new ones are better. Mines over a decade old. Lol of course my jet boil is still the original model too. Replaced the lid though. It cracked.