What is your car camping stove?

boom

WKR
My hunt trips are not all backpacking adventures. Sometimes it’s a truck csmping trip.

I have a two burner Camp Chef Explorer. It’s pretty excellent, but damn it is bulky. The stove is giant, and the big propane tank is giant.(and very bomb like)

I want to rethink my truck stove. What about that super inexpensive Coleman stove that perches on top of that green 16oz bottle? I think I can be happy with a single burner.
Any stoves I don’t know about?

trom2k

FNG
I have one of the single burner ones, doesn’t get much use. It’s a little unsteady. Primary car camp stove is a two burner older model of the one below. I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that travels with it and fits perfectly over both burners.

Coleman Classic Propane Stove Amazon.com: Coleman Classic Propane Stove: Sports & Outdoors

I’ve had it for years and it won’t die. Growing up we had one of the white Coleman two burners. Bulkier and less convenient to use than screwing on a green propane tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
Google the Blackstone Dash. We have one that goes RV camping with us and when I go tent camping with my pickup it goes also. It does not take up much room and you can cook just about everything you need to cook without using any frying pans. Plus you can use the small bottles or a bigger tank if you want to.

Owenst7

WKR
Coleman 425F. They're about $20 on Craigslist and super reliable, even at 0°F. If you forget fuel, they'll run just fine on gasoline from your truck.

I've got a couple Sveas, an Optimus 8r, and a Primus #71 that I use sometimes for quick solo trips where I only need one burner.

I collect white gas lanterns too haha.

Mosby

WKR
I retired my Brunton this year and bought a Soto 2 burner stove. Uses propane canisters. Very heavy duty and folds into a pretty rugged case. I like to cook decent meals when I can and I decided to upgrade my stove this year. Randy Newberg has an older version of it on some of his videos but it is the same stove.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Good old Coleman two burner has seen me through plenty of hot breakfasts and dinners. I use the small 1lb bottles, 1 always seems to last a few days at least.

colersu22

WKR
I have been using a camp chef rainier for the past 2 years and have no complaints, I like the built in griddle for breakfast. I use it more camping in the spring/summer than hunting but did take it over the weekend last year so I could have some real food and not Alpine Aire meals.

Jauwater

WKR
I use a Coleman 2 burner as well. Car, Family camping.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
If your ok with single burner, check out camp chef propane/butane single burner they sell at rei. $35.00. Good reviews.
7e38a632ac5f935a4bb0b9f03fe44c9f.jpg

mk_v

WKR
I have a camp chef Everest and I just got a jet boil genesis as a Christmas gift. The genesis is expensive but saves a ton of space, which is important to me because my jeep doesn’t have much room. If saving space is s big concern I’d check out the genesis.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's my grandpa's old Coleman with the Everdur tank. I believe it's a 9F model from the early 30's. He bought it new back then. It still works, but could probably use a new pump valve. These days I use a newer 2-burner Coleman, but mine is probably 15+ years old.

Attachments

• 100_3385.jpg
    100_3385.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 49

Owenst7

WKR
Here's my grandpa's old Coleman with the Everdur tank. I believe it's a 9F model from the early 30's. He bought it new back then. It still works, but could probably use a new pump valve. These days I use a newer 2-burner Coleman, but mine is probably 15+ years old.

The leather pump cup is probably just dirty. They remove without any tool, and I just wipe them down with a paper towel and then wrap it around a pencil and swab out the barrel. I soak the cup in a bit of penetrating oil that I keep in my camper shell, or a light dab of grease will work well too.

Walmart carries the pump assembly on the shelf in the camping section too, but I've never actually had to replace one on any of my stoves or lanterns.

I got in to white gas when I lived in Alaska because the propane tanks would ice up much below about 20-25°. I believe most of the large white gas stoves are rated to a higher BTU than the propane ones also. I think you can only draw about 8k on a 1lb can before they ice at any temp.

Last edited:
OP
B

boom

WKR
just to add:

when my brother is with me, he brings this turkey fryer with a ring. that ring stabilizes a WOK perfectly. we do 99% wok cooking when we are together. they dont make that turkey fryer anymore. i am always on the lookout at garage/estate sales. i'll buy it even if the burner is toast...i just want that wok ring.

Owenst7

WKR
Are you interested in my old Coleman?

If you ever make it to Eastern Nevada or Reno I'd take it haha.

The guy that runs Coleman Collector's Forum lives here in Reno. You'd probably get some bites over there that people would do shipping. Most of mine are currently in a storage unit while I'm in a small apartment, so the last thing I need at the moment is more collections haha.