Trecking poles for tipi

amp713

WKR
I went through some older threads but didn't want to resurrect too old of posts so figured I'd start a new one.

Have debated poles for a long time and never done it, but now I'm going to be testing out a tipi set up so its time to jump on board. The tipi Im testing will be about 4.5 feet center pole height. I'd love to find a budget pole that will hold up but seeing as its not just a hiking aid and is now going to be my center point to my shelter I need something that is SOLID but also wont drain my wallet completely.

I have of course seen Easton mentioned, others I found while thread searching include: Cascade Mountain, multiple models of black diamond, Yukon Charlie and a few others have been thrown out there as well.

I have not began to run prices on models because I sometimes find what sounds like a good deal and then its my head and messes with my decision. I have no experience with trecking poles or tipis so Im keeping myself out of the decision until i get some good first hand experiences.

Im 5'7 though I don't think that influences a lot. If there was any way to use a single pole to achieve my tipi center pole height id be very interested in that. The idea to have the tipi still erect and still have a singular pole to hike with plus a back up center pole if something were to happen makes me happy in my theoretical scenarios.

Last edited:
The Cascades are good at $40ish you can not go wrong , i used them a lot this year beat em up hiking and for a shelter no issues. Get the quick locks , youll be hard pressed to leave them at home once you start using them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, the CF Cascades that Costco has/had are very well made, light wt., and cost $29. Add a CF pole jack, if needed, from Ruta Locura (Josh is one of your neighbors there in UT), and you'll be set. Or, if you want to be able to use both trekking poles for running around while leaving your shelter set up, just buy a dedicated pole from Ruta Locura.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Is there anywhere else selling the cascades. I don't live anywhere near a Costco or have a membership though I'm sure I could find someone who does.

Bones

WKR
I bought an extra end section for the cascades and cut the tip off with an arrow saw. This allows me to slide both end sections out and use this to link the poles together. Never used a pole jack, but an extra carbon end piece is like $8. Worked great with my cimmaron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys! sounds like for once my budget shopping wouldn't have led me too far astray