Stove ?, Duel Fuel vs typical iso butane type (Backpack - Go Bag options)

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I am trying to figure out what might be the best all around option for a small camp stove that could work on a backpack style hunt, but actually be more of a bug out bag stove as well. It would more than likely live most of its life in a pack set to go in case of an emergency.

I'm looking at the MSR duel fuel systems, pocket rocket 2, Coleman guide series 533 single burner duel fuel stove.

Any thoughts, ideas, ideas, etc.... I have other Coleman camp stoves/lanterns so I have experience with them. It can be stored with fuel in it, not sure I would do that, but it would be easy to have a small can of white fuel/or unleaded. But, on the other hand, the pocket rocket type routes seem to be a small/light/non-messy option as well.

thanks for any input.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
For that type of use for me, the Jetboild Mini Mo works great. I hate to have to mess with "liquid gas" stoves personally. The mini mo can run very low if needed and can boil water in seconds. I prefer it over the pocket rocket.

MSR Whisperlite-

I carried one for years backpacking but switched a decade or so ago to a Jetboil for weight and simplicity. But I'm thinking of getting another whisperlite. I miss cooking real food like trout, grouse, potatoes and blueberry pancakes on my non hunting backpacking trips and you can't do any of that with the Jetboil. They have a few models that can use just about any liquid fuel. The weight of the liquid fuel is it's biggest downside but the versatility could make up for that for your purposes.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I second the MSR Whisperlite. I bought a Whisperlite International (burns just about any fuel you can find) about 15 years ago, and it still runs great. Only had to replace one of the legs, cuz I sat on it at one point. For a 'bug out' bag, I'd go with that. I too switched to a Jetboil for hunting trips and some climbing trips, but you really can't beat the versatility of the Whisperlites. Just my thoughts.

AZ23

FNG
I've been using the Optimus Crux Lite with Terra solo cook set for 2 years. everything packs tight with 4oz isopro inside. Love it

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
To the guys saying you can not cook stuff other than water on a Jet boil sure this was the case with older models and maybe some of the current cheaper models. That said there is nothing I can cook on my Mini Mo. Like I said in the above post it will turn down to almost no flame or full blast and all in between. We one of the older units and that thing is full blast or nothing. LOL

JP100

WKR
For all round long term bomb proof you cant beat the multi fuel stoves.
MSR whisper light is what I have used for years as both a 'camp' stove and back pack stove.
Can run kerosene, white gas, petrol/'gasoline' and normal propane/butane cans on it.

All parts are replaceable and serviceable

The Primus Omni fuel is the same class, and I would maybe buy one one them If I buy again. some models can burn diesel aswell.

I have seen these cookers that are 20+++ years old and work well.

I just dont think anyone will be using a jetboil in 20 years

Another vote for whisperlight international. Burns anything. If you are really looking for a bug out bag stove, I wouldn’t even bother with bottled fuel models. If you find yourself in a true bug out - storm, civil unrest, zombieland -situation there won’t be enough fuel bottles or white gas to be had, you’LL be burning gasoline.

Whisperlight is noisy for sure but they flat work. I have had 3 in 20 years. Two are still going strong One in my truck and one I use in the back country. The third was stepped on and crushed by a jackass hiking buddy on the second day of a 5 day trip. :mad: Jody, I haven’t forgotten the cold food or forgiven you, you idiot.

OP
M

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again on the info on the Whisperlight. Fuel storage, in the canisters for them, can you store say gas (RUG) in it without worrying about leaking? If it is for longer term storage, I would think about adding some "SeaFoam, or another gas storage additive", would that be reasonable?

For standard camping, I currently use duel fuel coleman lanterns and camp stove, and in these I use RUG. no issues, but I don't typically store them filled, usually fill/empty out of a gas can.

thanks again.

I just dont think anyone will be using a jetboil in 20 years

I don’t know about 20 years from now, but I have one that’s over half way to 20 years and still boils like new. The simplicity and convenience of the JB is where it really shines IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks again on the info on the Whisperlight. Fuel storage, in the canisters for them, can you store say gas (RUG) in it without worrying about leaking? If it is for longer term storage, I would think about adding some "SeaFoam, or another gas storage additive", would that be reasonable?

For standard camping, I currently use duel fuel coleman lanterns and camp stove, and in these I use RUG. no issues, but I don't typically store them filled, usually fill/empty out of a gas can.

thanks again.

I can’t say I have tried long term gasoline storage but I have stored white gas in the msr bottles for years. I tend to prefer to store fuel long term with the actual bottle cap and not the stove pump.

Expect any gasoline would degrade over time. If you keep the bottle sealed you aren’t going to get water contamination and that should reduce some loss of volatile compounds but you will Still get decomposition over time which will lead to gumming. I don’t think it is as much of an issue in a stove as an engine. Easier to clean and less prone to issues than a car or something.

I guess I really hadn’t thought about using my stove fuel as back up engine fuel. I just store my bottles with white gas and top them off before the trip.

OP
M

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like white gas might be the better option, but having the ability to use rug is good. Thanks all.

lkwoolsey

WKR
How noisy are the whisperlites? Thanks for the input
Whisperlite is fairly noisy, but honestly not all that much noisy than the jetboil. They aren't quite as efficient as a jetboil either, but I think much more versatile. That said, I use my jetboil more often, backpacking and hunting. But personally, I'd have a whipserlite in a bugout bag. Much easier to find fuel in that situation for a whisperlite than an isobutane canister stove.