Elk vs deer game bags

snowplow

WKR
I have some nice synthetic elk quarter bags (bone in). I was going to get some TAG bags for bone in deer this year and it just dawned on me that I could probably put in 2 deer quarters in one of those (blacktail)

I would pack out 2 deer quarters at a time most likely either way. So should I get some deer bags or save 100 bucks and just throw 2 in an elk bag?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you asking it its okay to put multiple quarters in a bag? Yes. I pile a whole antelope into a single bag all the time. Bone in meat in an oversized game bag is usually pretty controllable for packing, bone out meat in an oversized game bag can often be a blob that's harder to structure for strapping down on the pack. That's about the main consideration (other than weight) with oversided game bags.

bmart2622

WKR
I prefer everything to have its own bag, I will haul multiple bags at a time but then I can hang or cool each one individually.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Cool thanks.

Do you think two blacktail quarters would fit into a single black ovis bone in elk bag?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Only downside is if you are hanging to cool, there is not as much surface area or air flow with it all piled in one bag.

Apart from that, take a tape measure and see the dimensions before you buy. I went elk because that was what was in stock. I put a whole bone in east coast white tail in one tag elk bag. Neck, 4 quarters, back strap and ribs. 60 or 70 pounds of meat no problem.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Great thats really helpful! I highly doubt id be hanging to cool, just slinging them out!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Only downside is if you are hanging to cool, there is not as much surface area or air flow with it all piled in one bag.

Apart from that, take a tape measure and see the dimensions before you buy. I went elk because that was what was in stock. I put a whole bone in east coast white tail in one tag elk bag. Neck, 4 quarters, back strap and ribs. 60 or 70 pounds of meat no problem.

Agree with DJ^....I like a little extra room in my bags to jostle the meat around giving it more surface area. When its all balled up....hard to cool that inner core.