Knife... custom or no and what size?

Beendare

WKR
Amp, now you are going to cost me some money

If you really want a good blade...possibly something better than the typical knife steel out there now....check this out, its a rundown of the best steels out there including; S90v, M390, S20cm, ZDP189, Crucibles M4 [less corrosion resistant] , along with others.
Knifeinformer link
Guide to the Best Knife Steel | Knife Informer

As you can tell with me....its all about the steel and function.....if you want fancy....I'm not your guy.

I think I'm going to pick up a assisted opener in the M390, probably the Benchmade 581SBK Barrage

.....and probably this Spyderco Native in S90v
https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-...e-orange-frn-handle-cutlery-shoppe-exclusive/

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Jx6 companion in A2 from Bark River. Sharpening it has became a different skill to learn with the convex grind but is an awesome knife. It’s wearing some pants from C2gfab who also does awesome kydex.
1d95421bfd3b774d4b99b912733da51f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys, I want a drop point, leather sheath, over 3" blade, easy to resharpen as I kinda suck, solid and well respected company that supports hunting and is affordable. I've looked at a ton of options and alot of suggestions but have found myself looking at the alpha dog in s30v from knives of Alaska over and over.

Think I'll keep my eyes out for any sales or used ones for sale but as of now that's my plan

boom

WKR
Seriously. Most of my. field work is done with a Mora Carbon companion. I did a deer and put it away. I didn’t clean it great, but it still didn’t rust. I bet it was the animal grease. A few weeks ago; I soaked a water stone and put the freakiest sharp edge back on it. I thought OEM was sharp. It’s a scalpel now! I like it because it is so lightweight. It costing me $14 doesn’t hurt either. Something very comforting about going after a leg joint with a $14 knife. If there was one negative, the knife tip is a bit pointy. Man, if they made a drop point, I would wet myself.

My customs live under the Mora shadow. Hehe. One of my customs is a ADVENTURE SWORN Explorer! It’s weird. Every time I carry it, I get skunked. Spooky! :) I need a very dumb deer to break that trend.

I have a Benchmade mini-barrage with a 2.93 inch blade that I love. It's a great EDC knife that I've used to dress and skin animals with also. Not really a custom, but a great knife. I have the one with the better blade steel and G10 handle.

Ruana Knives in Bonner Montana makes a solid well build knife. You can get elk antler handles or some other fancy woods. I have two of these knives.

Steelhead - 3 1/2" blade - nice shape and size - works great

5AD - 4" blade - nice shape and size (drop point) - works great

RUANA KNIVES - BONNER, MONTANA

Behring Made knives: Made in Missoula Montana. I do not have one of their knives, but they do make some nice ones. I've gone out to their shop here and looked them over.

Behring Made | Newest Releases

Beendare

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys, I want a drop point, leather sheath, over 3" blade, easy to resharpen as I kinda suck, solid and well respected company that supports hunting and is affordable. I've looked at a ton of options and alot of suggestions but have found myself looking at the alpha dog in s30v from knives of Alaska over and over.

Think I'll keep my eyes out for any sales or used ones for sale but as of now that's my plan
KOA in S30v is one heck of a ggod blade as is their D2, which you can get for $80

Trial153

WKR
Charles May, Gene Ingram and Bob Dozier are the only names you need to know in custom hunting knives....

Shraggs

WKR
I would add Bark River to that list for sure, many fine options.

You mentioned easy to sharpen, first thing I would do is stay away from Super steels that have been mentioned. Super steels hold sharp longer but they are much more difficult to sharpen. A good carbon tool steel is foregiving in use and in sharpening. A2, O1 even 1095.

Forgive me, but it is possible to learn to sharpen and if you own fixed blades, especially the ones listed here you will want to learn that and not take it to ace hardware and have someone use a grind stone on it and ruin it and the temper.

Mentioned above - a convex edge is so much easier to sharpen, wether at home or in field conditions. Yes it is a bit different technique to learn, but now might be a good time! 😊

wildcat33

WKR
Bark River Fox River in A2 is my favorite all around hunting knife. I have another Bark River (paring knife) in S35VN and that sucker is damn near impossible to sharpen at home. Also, I love the patina that a well cared for carbon tool steel develops - the true stainless super steels seem so sterile to me: all bright and shiny all the time.

Beendare

WKR
My Bark River in CPM3V is a convex edge [rounded off right to the edge] vs a straight grind edge.

This convex edge is what you get with the belt type sharpers....the Worksharp Ken Onion is a good one. Best to practice with one of these and follow instructions as you can screw up a good knife quickly with those belt sharpeners. They tent to take off a lot of steel on the lesser steels....and some of the belts aren't tough enough for the super steels.

I prefer a straight grind.....like you get from the sharpening jigs like the Gatco, Lanky, and others. Diamond stones are the best IMO....they work with the super steels and are all around faster. You do need to purchase the addl fine hone to finish a knife with the diamond system if you really want a fine edge.

Its a tradeoff with better steel....the edge lasts longer....but its harder to sharpen....worth the tradeoff IMO. You don't need a custom to get the top CPM steels, M390, ZDP189, Maxamet, etc steels anymore. Benchmade, Spyderco and others are making knives with these super steels at decent price points.

I've seen some crazy deals surfing sites like Cutlery Shoppe, National knives, Knifeworks, AG Russel, etc for some fantastic knives with great steel.....worth a look. Most sites you can search by steel type.

boom

WKR
the knife that got me looking closer at knives for hunting was my Knives of Alaska Alpha wolf.

that knife just didnt do it for me. the handle was tiny and got slippery. i got thru an elk, in the dark with it, but barely. i got it so dull. i think i cut way too much muddy hair or something. my field measures couldnt sharpen it again. been a long time, but i think mine was D2 steel. i took it to a pro sharpener who got it fairly sharp, and i gave it away. now? man, i want my knives like razors. i could never get that alpha wolf like that. maybe i can now.

oh, i lost the sheath on that elk hunt. i put some tape on the edge and walked out like that. a replacement sheath was like $30 if i remember correctly.!! haha..i got hosed. if i was smarter, i would have had one made. kydex or something.

it's a good time to be knife shopping. i think they have all gotten so good. Benchmade has that S30V thing down pat.

mcseal2

WKR

That describes my Personal from Harvey King Knives pretty well. Tons of great ones out there as others have said, but that's one that might be worth considering. Light and good looking with the Tiger Maple wood, great fitting sheath, 3.5" blade of D2, and 6oz with sheath. The sheath is extra stout leather, the knife is 3.7oz. I know ranchers who have been carrying and abusing one for 20 years around here. Hope I can keep from losing mine for that long!

Speedbump

FNG
Consider Diamond Blades, run by same fellow that owns Knives of Alaska, but differentially hardened. They are a great blend of superb function and handsome.
For pure function, the Mora's as mentioned earlier, are remarkable values.

Lawnboi

WKR
Bark River Fox River in A2 is my favorite all around hunting knife. I have another Bark River (paring knife) in S35VN and that sucker is damn near impossible to sharpen at home. Also, I love the patina that a well cared for carbon tool steel develops - the true stainless super steels seem so sterile to me: all bright and shiny all the time.

Most of my thinner bark river knives, well all of them needed some serious edge reprofiling. A good stone, a bunch of sandpaper and a few strops are what's needed. Bark river is very hit and miss on thier edge geometry, nice knives, but do require more work than a custom, and most other semi customs. Good news is their thicker knives that they are popular for have been very good from what iv seen.

I have a bird and trout in elmax, same as your paring knife, as well as a bunch of thier kitchen knives. They all required a reprofiling to refine the edge, and make it more of a slicer. On top of that those hard stainless steels can be a bear to sharpen, usually requires sandpaper and a diamon compound strop to get back to what I would consider sharp. Iv had okay luck with thier thicker knives, but they can be hit or miss on quality

As for edge style, I really like the convex edge, and even more so a full convex grind. I can touch up a convex edge easily with minimal supplies. Iv had a few knives that I have put crazy flat edges on, using a wicked edge, while they were sharp they took more to touch up. With a convex edge, it takes a lot to need a stone, a hair less to need sandpaper, and most touch ups just require a strop. Convex has been the easiest edge for me to get back to very sharp, and not just usable.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Bark Rivers come with a convex edge, The belt sharpeners a’re good for that. I like a flat bevel with a microbevel for a hunting knife.

Im upgrading my benchmade steep country s30v with a Bark River classic drop point hunter, Should be the perfect size for me; 3 3/4” blade,8 3/8” overall, 5oz in Elmax at 61 rockwell

Beendare

WKR
Elmax is a heck of a steel. It's a pain to sharpen, but is without a doubt my favorite stainless.

Good to know its your favorite.

I haven't had an issue sharpening stuff with the diamond stones and the good Silicone carbide stones. The cheap stones are softer than the carbides formed in some of these steels...so they won't sharpen them.

Most guys that have a problem with sharpening is due to them not being able to hold a consistent angle. There are plenty of guides for that; Gatco, Lanky, DMT, that Edge pro is bad ass, etc.....these jigs hold the knife....then its just about developing a burr, and then gently removing the burr with fine stones.

I prefer micro bevels on my processing knives....sharp...... and they hold that sharpness longer.

Capra74

FNG
I picked up a Dozier Professional Guides knife last fall. I know a lot of guys prefer shorter blade knives, but to me it's the perfect size and shape general hunting knife that will also be used around camp. Mine field dressed five whitetails and skinned and quartered two mule deer with just a couple of minor touch ups to the blade.

Trial153

WKR
I picked up a Dozier Professional Guides knife last fall. I know a lot of guys prefer shorter blade knives, but to me it's the perfect size and shape general hunting knife that will also be used around camp. Mine field dressed five whitetails and skinned and quartered two mule deer with just a couple of minor touch ups to the blade.
i been carrying the same knife for years in the back country. 100% worth the weight penalty to have a real full service knife with you. The pro guide can do it all, from choping to breaking game. I cant even Imagine carrying a lessor knife into wilderness settings with me anymore. I think its Bobs best design, and i have about 25 or so doziers in my colection.
d5ca9ce6dac18655de86c4908e2c5b4c.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Hey Trials.....is that D2 steel? Do you have to do anything special to keep it from rusting?

What happens if you put it away bloody?

The more I know about knives I've come to realize the heat treat is as important as the steel itself. Dozier is one of the experts at this for sure.....good looking knife