Knife... custom or no and what size?

Trial153

WKR
Hey Trials.....is that D2 steel? Do you have to do anything special to keep it from rusting?

What happens if you put it away bloody?

The more I know about knives I've come to realize the heat treat is as important as the steel itself. Dozier is one of the experts at this for sure.....good looking knife
that is D2 yes, and while it isnt stainless its pretty stain resistant. I never do anything other then wipe it down after i use. Wash it off dry it and put it away ..

Akicita

WKR
So I have decided I want a fixed blade knife to accompany my havalon while hunting and to he on my person while hiking. I had been looking at benchmade but siggma custom knives are built not 30 miles from my house...

The custom knives are built with L6 steel. I'm not a knife conisseur but some googling says it's nice steel but is it as nice as what benchmade is making?

I also was looking at the hidden canyon knife from.benchmade as I've heard good things but I even looked at one smaller than that from siggma.

What would you consider a too small of knife for elk and mule deer skinning and such? I plan to use the havalon for more precise cuts and possibly gutting.

Anyone have great success with other custom knife companies? I want to stay in a reasonable price range but want a knife that I can pass down which is why I've been debating the custom knife idea more than just an engraved benchmade or similar.

Because I mostly use Obsidian for processing game my friends and family think I'm too stubborn to use or buy a knife so they buy me knives nearly every Christmas or birthday. My only custom knife is one my wife bought me called the Bushcrafter by Fiddleback Forge. She knows I hate fancy but its' a beautiful and versatile knife that suits me, and one I am proud to own. However I find that I don't take it with me very often because it has a great deal of sentimental value to me. I am very hard on gear and tend to use knives for everything they're not intended to be used for so for that reason she bought me an Esse 4 to carry of which I like very much. I do find myself taking the Esse 4 with me where ever I go. I am the last person I know that would lay down money on a custom knife but I truly love my Fiddleback Forge Bushcrafter for the forging and quality. I wouldl lay down money for an Esse 4 and think that either knife would be a good one for you to consider whether you go custom or not.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
that is D2 yes, and while it isnt stainless its pretty stain resistant. I never do anything other then wipe it down after i use. Wash it off dry it and put it away ..

Gotcha. I've shied away from D2 in the past...unnecessarily it appears.

The heat treat on all of these knives is critical.....I can see the difference between a couple of the S30V blades I own- the steel only tells half the story.

I used to be a utility type knife guy....didn't care about them. I still am....but I can now see owning a nice knife has a bit of pride of ownership.
Heres my 'perfect' knife in Elmax......my last knife [grin- yeah right!]
http://brkgallery.com/2015/albums/album60/classic_drop_point_hunter_elmax_black_pearl_kirinite_339_95.jpg

AMP713 , I see no reason to go custom with companies such as Benchmade and ESEE out there especially if you have a reasonable budget. I personally am a fan of 1095 and usually hunt in drier climates were rusting has never been an issue ( Like your home base of UT). Easy to resharpen as you requested as well. If you are a fan of or have interest in 1095 the ESEE 3 is worth checking out. The one I use with the modified handle ( longer and fatter micarta than the standard factory grips and available from knife connection )is my favorite all around fixed blade. Cutting edge is closer to 4 inches than 3 and for me is plenty long doing all tasks I require better than my former ESEE 4 I used to use due to the 3 being lighter and thinner. Let us know what you chose.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys, I may honestly be more lost now than before.....

I did notice no one ever mentioned Damascus steel? Is it not worth getting involved with??

I'm a little uncertain whether you're looking for 100% functionality versus some degree of form and elegance to pass along. While I'm not belittling anyone's fascination with various steels, there are times when I shake my head and think "Just give me one decent knife and a way to sharpen it!" I think we all understand there's a happy middle ground where good sharpening characteristics meet decent durability and edge retention. But hey....I've seen plenty of good guides and butchers use their cutlery and one thing almost always stands out: they stop to sharpen a blade when they feel it losing an edge. In many cases a somewhat softer steel can be perfect for cutting hide and flesh. Me...I'd rather have a soft blade vs one that's a pita to sharpen afield.

And here's a simplification maybe. Look up David Winston Knives in Starkville, MS. The guy makes superb knives and he will customize without killing your wallet. His knives are both beautiful and very functional. Given that many custom knives run upwards of $450, it's nice to see a guy building true customs in the $250-$300 range. Two I currently own:

mS7lGlGl.jpg

One production knife I am currently enamored with is the TOPS Al Mar Mini SERE. It's not the epitome of a hunting knife in terms of blade shape and appearance, but my eye tells me it would make a SUPERB carry knife for multiple duty on tougher hunts. I'm going to buy one ($150) and sharpen the top edge which will enhance its usefulness in butchering and deboning meat.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I'm a little uncertain whether you're looking for 100% functionality versus some degree of form and elegance to pass along. While I'm not belittling anyone's fascination with various steels, there are times when I shake my head and think "Just give me one decent knife and a way to sharpen it!" I think we all understand there's a happy middle ground where good sharpening characteristics meet decent durability and edge retention. But hey....I've seen plenty of good guides and butchers use their cutlery and one thing almost always stands out: they stop to sharpen a blade when they feel it losing an edge. In many cases a somewhat softer steel can be perfect for cutting hide and flesh. Me...I'd rather have a soft blade vs one that's a pita to sharpen afield.

I misunderstood knives enough that I thought to get the best knife you needed to go "custom". I now see that my idea of custom was not really custom. Not mass produced is maybe a more accurate description of what I'm looking for. I'm wanting a knife that doesn't look like every knife out there. Not full custom, to take a page out of recurve books- I'm looking for a knife with a soul. Not some mass produced steel riser recurve, but a nice quality hand made bow.

If that helps muddy the waters I'm not sure but I hope it makes sense.

I want a QUALITY knife that's not gonna show up in a plastic package.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
As a custom knife maker, I can tell you that you need to decide on the steel based on the use. After reading this, it sounds like you want more of a heirloom, conversation, show knife rater than one that will be a service/utility, survival knife. I dont want to offend but thats the vibe Im getting.

There is no bad or wrong reason to get another knife. I myself have more than 100 of them. I tell people, based on the use, do this.

1. pick a blade form (shape)
2. pick a size
3. pick a steel
4. pick a quality sheath (based on usage, leather for show, Kydex and rugged fabric for utility)

I always recommend carbon steel over stainless. Stainless is too soft and gummy for my tastes but its less likely to rust. 1095, A1, D2 are some great carbon options but you will have to tend to it more than stainless.

If you are going to use a Havalon anyway, the fixed blade knife you pick maybe wont get used all that often so unless you have a lot of disposable income, a custom knife might not be a wise option. Dont worry about how the knife arrives and what the shipping container looks like. you will throw that away in the first hour. The knife lasts a lifetime.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I misunderstood knives enough that I thought to get the best knife you needed to go "custom". I now see that my idea of custom was not really custom. Not mass produced is maybe a more accurate description of what I'm looking for. I'm wanting a knife that doesn't look like every knife out there. Not full custom, to take a page out of recurve books- I'm looking for a knife with a soul. Not some mass produced steel riser recurve, but a nice quality hand made bow.

If that helps muddy the waters I'm not sure but I hope it makes sense.

I want a QUALITY knife that's not gonna show up in a plastic package.

Check out these. Better fit and finish than a bark river at the same price. Crazy sharp! Matte handle options are great for a hunting knife

LT Wright Handcrafted Knives HUGE Selection, Amazing Prices!ey ha

They have some very well though out pieces. Iv got a northern hunter and am impressed with the quality, and its crazy sharp. It's going to be half a year till it's bloody though. It's been the first knife in a while that when I held it I knew I had to have it

Just another option

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR

I did notice no one ever mentioned Damascus steel? Is it not worth getting involved with??

Damascus as with any quality steel will make a fine knife,this is my Elk Hunter Damascus knife I just made that incorporates a gut hook.

robie

WKR
Dozier knives come up on ebay from time to time. I wasn't real picky and waited for one of the styles i wanted to pop up and got it fora great deal. Of course if you want to custom order and wait that is an option as well.

Kestrel Knives are one of my favorite "Made in the USA" knives.

Photo02_1200.jpg

Not sure if they make it anymore, but I've got a skeletonize version sharpened on one edge with a diamond coating on the other. Super ultralight and really great to use. I've wrapped it a couple times with paracord but then end up using it ;). I guess that's what it's for, right?!? :)

Shraggs

WKR
Little late on this L6 is a band saw steel. The upside is it’s really tough and durable like 5160 another steel known for taking abuse but no edge retention. L6 has good edge retention like a2. Downside is it will rust with a forecast of rain, grin. Manageable if you keep some mineral oil on it daily.

Beendare

WKR
^ that is a Purdy Damascus knife.

The only Damascus knife I've seen used for animal processing didn't fair well when put away bloody and then cleaned a day or two later. It must have started to rust instantly. Now Damascus is a catch all term for layered steel....I suppose it depends on which steels the smith used as to how well it will hold up.

I've seen Damascus blanks for sale on the internet for $20.....I can't imagine those would hold a very good edge for the stuff we put a knife through.