Trekking poles

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at all the different options and other than carbon vs aluminum and flip locks and twist I don’t see a ton of difference with a large price range from $30-200. So what are you guys using?

HeadnWest

WKR
If you are a backcountry hunter on a budget and every dollar counts, I would never spend high end money on trekking poles. If money isn't an issue, spend what you want. But you can find several brands for under $60. Might be an ounce heavier then the high end poles, but who cares. I personally went with the aluminum, I would rather have a pole bend then snap.

Expedition Poles – Pacemaker Stix

mt100gr.

WKR
I have an older set of Mountainsmith aluminum poles that will not give up. They have been everywhere and have seen some very hard use under heavy loads. I recently picked up a set of Black Diamond aluminum poles as well, to have as back up. I don't have $90 into both sets combined.

Last year I watched 2 aluminum poles bend pretty badly, get straightened and used again, one eventually broke but took more abuse than I would have expected. My other buddy carried a brand new set of carbon poles and I watched one of them snap like a twig when it sunk deeper than expected and he overloaded it to regain his balance.

No need to look any further than Costco. $29, comes with multiple baskets and tips very durable and weighs less than 16oz./pr.
e54bc7f0ce606dcb1744ed629abd24d4.jpg

75264c67da23aa5a38be0cabf0459e35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Looking at all the different options and other than carbon vs aluminum and flip locks and twist I don’t see a ton of difference with a large price range from $30-200. So what are you guys using?

Costco Carbon twist lock,they're awesome.Was using Black diamond with flip locks and these are every bit as good for $40 vs BD at $180

Mosby

WKR
I have both Leki and Black Diamond hiking poles. I got both at STP. If I had to do all over again I would get poles that break down under 16 inches. Easier to pack and don't catch on stuff when going through thick stuff.

slowelk

WKR
I've not considered trekking poles a necessary piece of gear, but they seem to be catching on, so I'm curious. What's the difference between them and backcountry ski poles?

Adjustability is the main difference, so it makes it easier for different types of terrain. Also for use with setting up some shelters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk