First Archery Elk Hunt Need Guidance On Cooler Size

Brendan

WKR
No Yeti coolers brother!?

Look at it this way. I bought my Yeti 160 for 20% off at one of the annual sales. Paid around $550 (Not counting the gift cards I'd accrued as gifts....) Used it for 4 years, locked it to bumper carriers outside the truck, locked it shut so people couldn't get inside. Sand blasted it with mud driving around back roads. Beat the hell out of it. Every year I'd load it up with Ice, and it'd still have plenty of Ice in it 2 weeks later. Sold it this year for $400. That's less than $40 a year...

Good coolers have their place like a lot of good gear. But, not unless you're going to put them to use over multiple years or trips.

OP
bguitierez
Look at it this way. I bought my Yeti 160 for 20% off at one of the annual sales. Paid around $550 (Not counting the gift cards I'd accrued as gifts....) Used it for 4 years, locked it to bumper carriers outside the truck, locked it shut so people couldn't get inside. Sand blasted it with mud driving around back roads. Beat the hell out of it. Every year I'd load it up with Ice, and it'd still have plenty of Ice in it 2 weeks later. Sold it this year for $400. That's less than $40 a year...

Good coolers have their place like a lot of good gear. But, not unless you're going to put them to use over multiple years or trips.
Well beside our names being similar, I like your outlook. I've invested plenty of money in good gear, arrows,etc. All with the intention of getting multi-year use. I like how u described beating the piss out of the Yeti. I don't make much, but I'm perfectly happy to spend money for reliable rugged gear. May in ask why you sold it?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
May in ask why you sold it?

Impossible to move when full without two guys. I'm on the lookout now for deals on multiple smaller coolers. I like the design of the Yeti 105 - two will fit end to end lengthwise in a 5.5' pickup bed. Likewise, two of the Yeti 110 will fit end to end lengthwise in a 6.5' bed. Ergonomics like that and the ability to lock things up can matter when you're packing a truck full and don't want to haul a trailer...

rayporter

WKR
many times I have seen stacks of cheap coolers for sale during season. don't be afraid to buy some 25 dollar coolers after your kill if you need one. after the cost of the hunt the price is insignificant.

I have built coolers out of Styrofoam after a kill and put dry ice in with the meat then covered the meat with gear. after a trip to ohio the meat will be frozen.

another idea is a plastic tool box. one that is four foot long or longer that goes in the bed of a pickup. lined with plastic and filled with dry ice meat will last a long time. I routinely do this with deer and plain ice for 100 mile trips.

To play devil’s advocate, I can buy a Coleman 120, hunt for 4 years at $15/year and then keep using the cooler at $0/year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
No Yeti coolers brother!? haha jk. I think I'll be bargain shopping myself.

No Yeti for me. I don't really like the engineered obsolescence of any products- like these coolers....and I get that an expensive cooler is the right choice for some.There is no doubt the Latches are better....latches and hinges are the weak spot in these cheap coolers.

That said, for $22....I buy a couple about every 5 years. Those coolers typically go on sale in late Sept early October....they just clear them out 1/2 price. I can tell you those 5 day ice type coolers [max cold is one moniker] are pretty good....much better than the others. I currently have the Coleman and Igloo versions and have had ice hold 7 days if I do my part.

If you are constantly in and out of them on warm days No Cooler works well. I typically stage food in one and drinks in another- something like that...with the one that has meat not being opened as much.

I never got guys buying those big 110qt coolers....as Brendan said....too heavy....and since I sometimes bow hunt solo....I don't want to bust a gut slinging those big boys around. That 48-65qt is a good size that fits in Saddlebags even. My buddy has one of those big coolers on his fishing boat....but it never moves.

I think Amazon has those max coolers for about $30-$40 now

KBC

WKR
I have a few cheap coolers I fill with frozen milk jugs and an edgestar 12v fridge/freezer. I can run the freezer and rotate the jugs through as they thaw to get more time out of my ice.
Now I just need to shoot something to test it out with meat...

This is a pretty common question it seems and 2 x 120 Coleman Xtremes definitely seems to be the "it'll work well and not cost you an arm and a leg" solution. Frozen milk jugs are the way to go if you aren't doing dry ice.

I second this.

I have a 200 qt Coleman Extreme Marine and i've had a rag horn bull and a cow in it no problems, for up to 8 days with no issues. I got it for $149 in the bargain bin at cabelas. But its pretty much a one use cooler as its so big. Ive fit a cow in a 160 Yeti but it only needed 48 hours and wouldn't recommend this size if you need more then a day or two as theres not much room for extra ice.

For the price of 2 x 120 coleman's ( about $90 each) its hard to beat that combo. And if you are just doing a Deer hunt or antelope in the future you can just take one with.

How big for bone-in elk quarters?

I have a 200 qt and they fit easily, if you cut off at the knee, I have a 110 RTIC, and a cow hind leg won't fit in it. I think a 145 or 160 might be a safe bet,, but id make sure you have that hind quarter cooled down very well. The bones hold a lot of heat and if your throwing in whole quarters into a cooler, it can take a while for the entire quarter to get cold enough to stop spoilage.

KBC

WKR
I have a 200 qt and they fit easily, if you cut off at the knee, I have a 110 RTIC, and a cow hind leg won't fit in it. I think a 145 or 160 might be a safe bet,, but id make sure you have that hind quarter cooled down very well. The bones hold a lot of heat and if your throwing in whole quarters into a cooler, it can take a while for the entire quarter to get cold enough to stop spoilage.

Thanks for the info

Brendan

WKR
To play devil’s advocate, I can buy a Coleman 120, hunt for 4 years at $15/year and then keep using the cooler at $0/year :)

Devil's Advocate again: It'd fall apart after a couple seasons if you treated it like I treated my Yeti last year, you can't lock it up the same way outside the truck or on a hitch carrier so it won't get stolen, and it doesn't insulate quite as well ;) Also one 120 wouldn't be enough space, and I'm not sure I could fit two end to end down one side of my pickup bed - it'd be close....

I do have a coleman extreme 70 as well - definitely the right choice if they fit well inside your truck / trailer and the durability / locking isn't an issue, or if you're not going to get a lot of use out of it... All depends what's most important to you when you're buying.

Devil's Advocate again: It'd fall apart after a couple seasons if you treated it like I treated my Yeti last year, you can't lock it up the same way outside the truck or on a hitch carrier so it won't get stolen, and it doesn't insulate quite as well ;) Also one 120 wouldn't be enough space, and I'm not sure I could fit two end to end down one side of my pickup bed - it'd be close....

I do have a coleman extreme 70 as well - definitely the right choice if they fit well inside your truck / trailer and the durability / locking isn't an issue, or if you're not going to get a lot of use out of it... All depends what's most important to you when you're buying.

True but I’m not worried about somebody stealing my coleman and I have 10 year old coolers still kicking because they don’t get banged around. Like you said, buy what works for your specific needs, and for different people that looks different.

Brianb3

WKR
Best advice is don’t bring a cooler. It will increase your odds. Seems like for me when I bring em I go home empty. When I leave em I seem to fill tags. Lol. Best of luck this season

OP
bguitierez
Impossible to move when full without two guys. I'm on the lookout now for deals on multiple smaller coolers. I like the design of the Yeti 105 - two will fit end to end lengthwise in a 5.5' pickup bed. Likewise, two of the Yeti 110 will fit end to end lengthwise in a 6.5' bed. Ergonomics like that and the ability to lock things up can matter when you're packing a truck full and don't want to haul a trailer...
Thank you for the guidance. I'll be considering your input for sure brother.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I never got guys buying those big 110qt coolers....as Brendan said....too heavy....and since I sometimes bow hunt solo....I don't want to bust a gut slinging those big boys around.

The 120's are doable for me while solo. But that 200qt is a beast even empty. Filled with frozen milk jugs I used to let one end down onto the ground while the other end was still on the tailgate (the cooler is almost 60" wide). Then I'd let the other end down and drag it where I wanted, then reverse the process loading it. These days, I just leave it in the back of the truck for the season.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know anything about elk hunting (yet), but I do know my RTIC coolers keep deer meat, and beer, plenty cold for a while. Wait until they have the 25% off sale and you can get yourself set up for a reasonable cost. I just grabbed another 45 for $115 the last sale.

Good luck in September...I hope you have to put your coolers to use.

Jason

OP
bguitierez
I don't know anything about elk hunting (yet), but I do know my RTIC coolers keep deer meat, and beer, plenty cold for a while. Wait until they have the 25% off sale and you can get yourself set up for a reasonable cost. I just grabbed another 45 for $115 the last sale.

Good luck in September...I hope you have to put your coolers to use.

Jason
Hey you too brother. Looks like we will both be hitting the mountains in search of elk for the first time.

paxamus

WKR
This thread is very helpful as me and a buddy will be driving from Alabama to New Mexico for our Cow Elk hunt at the end of the year and I was wondering about coolers already!! We are going to make the drive in one day (rotating drivers) but I want to protect our meat