Kestrel knife or Benchmade Altitude?

Thinking about getting a new knife and I’m debating between a Kestrel and a Benchmade Altitude. Which one would you ger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dad bought a bunch of Kestrel's last year, we used them on several animals. They are incredibly sharp, I did a little drag test with almost no pressure applied on my finger and it cut deep enough to scar, completely unexpected. However it needed to be resharpened after every animal to retain that crazy cutting edge. I also had to be very careful skinning, as they went straight through hide without a problem. I was going to try and pop an atlas joint with one of his Kestrels this year, but I was worried it would snap.

I have been using a Bark River Mini-Fox River for a few years now. Also crazy sharp, but not as sharp as the Kestrel. I can do a drag test at the same-ish pressure and it will give me a "paper cut". It retains an edge for a few animals at a time, and is a stout little package so you can pop joints. Definitely heavy though, and harder to sharpen.

No experience with a Benchmade, sorry.

Mulga

FNG
Do you just need a blade or is it for skinning and breaking down an animal? From my experience any serious use blade (for skinning and breaking down) needs a good handle to avoid cramping; I guess it also depends on the size of your hands. My latest blade is a Spyderco PM2 with CPM S110V simply awesome.

i feel like benchmade was just getting plain old greedy when they worked out the price point for the altitude. BM’s fit and finish has really been sub par in the last few rounds, maybe this is their way of avoiding poorly ground and fitted handles while still commanding a BM price. Plus I hate coated blades, the edge is still going to rust and dull.

The kestrels intrigue me and I’m so tempted to just buy one for my kit to forget about and keep as backup.

I'd save some money and get a esee izula or a tyto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ve had a few kestrels and one benchmade. I will say I always carry and primarily use a havalon bolt with 60A blade. I had and sold the kestrel with titanium blade and barbide edge. Hated that knife because you hade to pretty much saw/cut your way. It always cut but was never scalpel Sharp. Then I had a benchmade steep country with S30V which I really liked but it was heavy. I did a bear elk and deer with it. Now I have the kestrel Mountain something. Got it through the kuiu giru program. It’s really sharp and S90V I believe. Use it on part of my elk this year and it’s still ready to go without sharpening. I will say I don’t have any issues cutting through any joint using my havalon including the atlas. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the kestrel at all either. Just cut and don’t pry. It doesn’t take much pressure or a death grip to use sharp knives.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I should have known better than to ask the question. Lol. I’ve got a BUNCH of knives including a couple of havalons and a Tyto 1.1 that I use a lot. I have no idea how many animals I clean annually by it’s quite a few. Well over 50 whitetail and probably easily that many hogs each year. Add in turkey, predators and some exotics. I’m not all that picky and will grab just about anything handy, including a $10 6” filet knife. As long as it’s handy and sharp. I’m just wanting to play with something new. The thing that holds me back from the Esee Izula is the 440c blade - the S90v that the Kestrel and the Altitude use seems like a much better blade steel.

For the price... Kestrel. The Benchmade is spendy for nothing really special. I'm sure you would be happy with either though.

I’ve been using Kestrel’s now for the last several years and I really like the fact that they’re so lightweight. I haven’t had any problems with them holding an edge and they sharpen up very easily and quickly. Some folks have issues with how the skeletonized handles fit/feel in their hands but I’ve never had a problem with that either. I always wear pretty heavy wt, rubber gloves when cleaning game, so maybe that has also been a factor with how the knife fits/feel is in my hand.

Beendare

WKR
Between the 2....I would probably go Kestral.

The S90V in the Altitude is killer steel....probably a little better than the S35v of the Kestral....but heat treat matters as much as the steel....and my uneducated guess is that Kestral at 61R is a better blade. I think Benchmade is at 58-60R with the Altitude which doesn't take full advantage of that S90V.

Plus I'm not a fan of that skeletonize handle...in any model.

I just bought a Bark river Classic drop point hunter in Elmax...tough choice between that and the Kestral.

Trial153

WKR
before I spent that money on either i would call Charles May and order an outdoor necker in s30v or D2, way way more knife for the money.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
before I spent that money on either i would call Charles May and order an outdoor necker in s30v or D2, way way more knife for the money.

I hear ya. I’m not paying retail or I wouldn’t be able to get either. Lol. I’m not big on expensive knives because I’m too hard on them and I’ve lost a few over the years. I was presented with a chance to buy one of these brands at a lower price, though, I decided I’d give one a try. I don’t have that same opportunity with Charles May. I’ve sure heard of his knives, though.

I know this is old, but I’m going down this sane path. With the mountain caper now in S90V steel as well, that is a no brainer. It is hardened to 63, which is a HUGE difference then Bm 59-61. It’s also lighter.

Now, Kestrel is new to me. Where all can you buy them?

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Also check out white river knives they have a backpacker model it’s made of s30v steel about half the price of the benchmade

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Benchmade Altitude. The stainless steel construction maintain excellent strength and works great for diverse purposes.

mcseal2

WKR
I ended up getting a deal on a Benchmade Altitude and have one now. I used it a little on my moose but the 3" blade just isn't enough for me on a critter that big. I will say I prefer a bit more blade than most, my favorite field knives are 4.5" blades currently. I have a Bark River Bravo LT field and a Bark River Classic Clip Point Hunter and will usually have one of those on my belt or in my pack. The Benchmade is my back-up and fits perfect in the side mesh pocket of my FHF bino harness. The pocket securely holds the sheath and I can easily snag the knife when I need one for something quick. I've done about 5 minutes of work on a moose and a full whitetail with it. A few passes on the ceramic steel after each animal and it's still shaving sharp. I could certainly do a whole deer or elk with this knife, but I prefer my bigger blade for a lot of the skinning and quartering.