Favorite headlamp?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at trying a new headlamp. What's your Favorite? How often do you find ultra bright modes (750 lumen+) useful?

Live2hunt custom shelters

I used really cheap ones for awhile but started to use the petzl actik last season and really like it. It is 300 lumens at it's bright mode which looks like a car light in my opinion and is brighter than I have ever needed before. Band is comfortable and it is compatible with a rechargeable battery as well as disposable ones.

I hunt solo, in bear and cat country
I like bright light while processing elk up to the midnight hour
:)
Lol
I also have everything in my system rechargeable now, so my headlamp is also required to have that capability

I have used for 3 years now
Fenix hp25 r led 1000 lumen light
Comes with battery 18650 type, usb cord, 4 brightest level

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Rechar...qid=1520625070&sr=8-5&keywords=fenix+headlamp

Last year cleaning an elk, in the rain, never failed

$80

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just looked hard at the new Milwaukee at Home Depot $39. If you want wide angle it is a nice piece. 3 AAA and dual high output LED with 3 modes. On my b'day list...

Lol
I also have everything in my system rechargeable now, so my headlamp is also required to have that capability

Amazon.com: Fenix HP25R Rechargeable LED Flashlight 1000 Lumen Headlamp, Spotlight Flood-Beam Red-Light with 18650 Rechargeable Battery and LegionArms USB charging cord: Sports & Outdoors

$80

How long does this headlamp last at various settings?

here are their specs

Offers 1.5 hours of runtime on Turbo, 96 hours on eco
I doubt this is far off.
I used mine on the second setting for over 4 hrs, then hiked out - 1 hour, and had tons left after.
I never ran it down so not sure, but it didn't give the hint of falling off at all.

The bright setting I did activate several, and I mean several times as I heard stuff and saw shadows darting across the sides of where I was breaking the elk down. Pretty sure just coyotes, but could never get on them quick enough.
Bloody and cramped up hands trying to find the button on the head lamp was not easy.
lol

I bought this when not a lot was heard about them, at least by me, and I gotta say, I was skeptical, but it has proven to be a great light. I also bought another type (don't remember the brand) and it feels cheaply made.
This Fenix is solid and well built. A bit heavier for the ounce counters for sure, but I need a lamp that can handle the abuse of where I hunt.

I will add these will go into auto dim on a brighter setting to let you know, it is being depleted, allowing you a warning to begin to conserve or get the heck off the mountain or get it recharged.
Mine never got to that point. The 18650 batteries are not all the same. Some cheaper versions out there for like $10. The ones from Fenix, if I recall are around $20. Which puts the headlamp at $60, right in line with any of the high end units.

Thanks. I don't have a head light on my Ktm dirtbike so I think I will pick one of these up in case I get cause out later than I intended.

The big zebra, MKII or such. Takes the 18650 battery. I find lumens are like horsepower, sure you can get by with a little 4 banger, but if you have power you end using it all the time. Battery life is real good.

Akicita

WKR
I've been using the Black Diamond Storm now for a couple of years. It's plenty bright on the bright setting and dims down to any brightness you need or like. I picked it because of the Red and Green light option. I like walking with Red in timber and the green in snow. I also like the lock which keeps the batteries from draining when stuffed in my pack lid or pocket.

I carry two headlamps with me on trips that last more than one night. I seem to loose or break headlamps more than any other piece of equipment I use and there is nothing more frustrating than needing one and not having one.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know if I can quite say it's my favourite because I've only had it a couple weeks, but the Nitecore HC33 is fantastic so far. 18650 battery, super bright on the higher settings, good throw, the lowest setting is nice and dim, and you can access the lowest, highest, and last used modes from off.

I've got an AA model from zebralight, and while I do think ZL probably has my favourite user interface, it can be a little complicated until you're familiar with it, and the Nitecore UI on this headlamp seems about as real-world functional for me, but quite a bit simpler. Fast click from off for the lowest setting, half second hold from off to the last used setting, and a full second hold to get to turbo mode. I generally have my last used setting as the second lowest, it's plenty bright for hiking. Once on, just single clicks to cycle through the modes.

I don't use the super bright modes all that often, but it is nice to be able to give a good blast ahead to get a better lay of the land while hiking in the dark, or to take a good look if you hear a bump in the night.

JP100

WKR
I wouldn't over think it, Ive been using an old led Lenser for years, works fine
My brother got me a Zebra light for Xmas and they are simple and easy
Also have a petzl micro thingy(E light) in my first aid, honestly it works fine for a full head lamp and often I use it when I give my other lamp to my clients.

I think the head lamps that have 400 settings and auto adjust are gimmicky and waste of time, you just want a light, on/off and maybe bright/dim.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol

Amazon.com: Fenix HP25R Rechargeable LED Flashlight 1000 Lumen Headlamp, Spotlight Flood-Beam Red-Light with 18650 Rechargeable Battery and LegionArms USB charging cord: Sports & Outdoors

$80

What's the weight on it? I was considering one of their other models because that one looked heavy.

Live2hunt custom shelters

oenanthe

WKR
I'm an unabashed Zebralight fanboy. I have the H52w (takes AA batteries) and a H600w mk III (takes 18650 batteries). Can't ask for anything better than these.

I rarely use the brightest setting on the H600w (about 1000 lumens IIRC). 300-400 is usually plenty.

A tip for those of you who use 18650 batteries: find a discarded laptop battery pack and cut it open (carefully!). There are usually 8-9 18650 cells in there, and usually only 1 or 2 have gone bad. Charge the individual cells (carefully!) and discard those that won't go above 4.1 volts, those are normally the bad cells. Presto - you've got a bunch of free 18650s!

I’ve been using an Olight S1 baton with their (CR123 size) 3.7 V lithium ion rechargeable batteries for the last couple years. Small, lightweight and portable. The pocket clip doubles as a clip for the bill on a hat. I’ve also used the Olight S1A which runs on AA or equivalent size battery. At 600 lm I find them to be plenty bright enough and find the moonlight setting extremely useful too.

I recently got a Olight S1 mini which has 3.7 V lithium ion battery with an integral micro USB port for charging. Absolutely loving it so far.

I'm an unabashed Zebralight fanboy. I have the H52w (takes AA batteries) and a H600w mk III (takes 18650 batteries). Can't ask for anything better than these.

I rarely use the brightest setting on the H600w (about 1000 lumens IIRC). 300-400 is usually plenty.

A tip for those of you who use 18650 batteries: find a discarded laptop battery pack and cut it open (carefully!). There are usually 8-9 18650 cells in there, and usually only 1 or 2 have gone bad. Charge the individual cells (carefully!) and discard those that won't go above 4.1 volts, those are normally the bad cells. Presto - you've got a bunch of free 18650s!
That is awesome to know
Thx