Favorite headlamp?

What's the weight on it? I was considering one of their other models because that one looked heavy.

Live2hunt custom shelters
Here are the weights on all my head lamps
I guess the fenix Lights are heavier than most and I see Fenix now has a headlamp system where the battery doesn't go on the headband but you attach it externally via a tether to the battery box which hosts 2 now

9b3c94f0774041117d3e63e37a238387.jpg
4bcb0d745b8820c33408aa76b1ccee8a.jpg
81aa43dfc92582f75cd353ac28dcc785.jpg
68d3744f1278b6321d5f2b79c548f4cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is using 18650 in the fenix, and it also has a red lamp for hiking in....
All the rest use a couple AAA

The lumens and run times are not even close on these lighter ones
And I have to carry spare batteries which adds to the total weight so don't forget that... when using weight as a factor

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When I bought mine, I didn't see all the new options they now have. But I think this is still one of their lighter ones

Shraggs

WKR
Sorry I can't remember the exact model of my fenix, but it is a small single cr123 battery operated flood with mild spot pattern. It weighs 2.1 oz, has four simple settings. 4 lumens for enough light to walk a trail, 30 is next setting and I find that is plenty for me under most conditions. The next setting s like 90 or 100, don't recall then a turbo mode and even a blinking. Only use the brights when I feel the need...

Also carry a small single cell cr123 surfire outdoorsman. Not made anymore but a great hunters light. Spot Pattern allows use with my headlamp to see far. It weighs 3.4 oz.

Both will last on low settings 90 and 60 hours I believe. Couple of spares and have not had any worries for a week out.

I admit to having a mild headlamp fetish, but they are just SO useful for hunting, grilling in the dark, power outages and so on. I own about 6 units currently.

My all-time favorite is a ZebraLite using an 18650 rechargeable (or 2 x CR123) with the floody beam. That dude is a dependable workhorse and it is so externally simple. I love the way the light tube rotates in the rubber holder...no click stops or fumbling. No unnecessary stuff. Huge light output when needed, but great usable low output around camp. At almost $90 it should be the best light I've ever owned and it definitely is. This is my no-questions-asked light that goes with me on trips where everything MUST work and failure would be very bad.

I recently bought a Fenix HL60R...being that I own a number Fenix flashlights and all. It's a good headlamp. The things about it I personally don't care for (pertaining to hunting) are not enough to cause me to return it. It has more overall mass and physical weight than my ZebraLite. It feels markedly heavier on my head, whereas it's not uncommon for me to forget the Zeeb is up there. I don't prefer the click-stop angle adjustments, having experienced the infinite smooth rotation of the ZebraLite. The HL60R has great output and looks to be a reliable workhorse. Mine is getting used mainly around the house and farm or business. I keep the Zeeb for my serious hunting treks. Do keep in mind these are just my experiences and either light is a good choice.

Fenix now has a HL55 model that is even lighter and only $59 with the battery incl- it's just a hair over 4 oz
This is on my Amazon cart list for a decent back up

Beendare

WKR
You pay for Fenix...but its good stuff.

I've been using the Princeton Tec combo lights for many years....no problems....this one;
Princeton Tec Remix RGB Headlamp - REI Garage

It has a spread beam for hiking....and a spot beam if you want to see something further away. You want those options. When hiking, more light in a beam isn't better. It can give you motion sickness...or at least I've had them that did. This one is super light- you don't know you have it on....no way I'm wearing a 8oz headlamp unless I'm a coal miner.

Personally, I prefer compact over more light...that Remix is plenty for me and the batteries last a week easy...and thats in and out in the dark. Cheap enough that I carry a spare.

I'm an unabashed Zebralight fanboy. I have the H52w (takes AA batteries) and a H600w mk III (takes 18650 batteries). Can't ask for anything better than these.

I rarely use the brightest setting on the H600w (about 1000 lumens IIRC). 300-400 is usually plenty.

A tip for those of you who use 18650 batteries: find a discarded laptop battery pack and cut it open (carefully!). There are usually 8-9 18650 cells in there, and usually only 1 or 2 have gone bad. Charge the individual cells (carefully!) and discard those that won't go above 4.1 volts, those are normally the bad cells. Presto - you've got a bunch of free 18650s!

I run the exact same models and haven’t found a need to try anything different. Although I might pick up a Petzl e-lite also. Can keep that in my bino pouch for emergency backup.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an unabashed Zebralight fanboy. I have the H52w (takes AA batteries) and a H600w mk III (takes 18650 batteries). Can't ask for anything better than these.

I rarely use the brightest setting on the H600w (about 1000 lumens IIRC). 300-400 is usually plenty.

A tip for those of you who use 18650 batteries: find a discarded laptop battery pack and cut it open (carefully!). There are usually 8-9 18650 cells in there, and usually only 1 or 2 have gone bad. Charge the individual cells (carefully!) and discard those that won't go above 4.1 volts, those are normally the bad cells. Presto - you've got a bunch of free 18650s!

Hey I just bought a zebra light that takes the 18650 battery. Just now educating myself about these type of batteries. I also just learned you can’t just buy them anywhere. Will the 18650 hold a good charge for a week long back country hunt? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Hey I just bought a zebra light that takes the 18650 battery. Just now educating myself about these type of batteries. I also just learned you can’t just buy them anywhere. Will the 18650 hold a good charge for a week long back country hunt? Thx

With normal use a week shouldn't be a problem with a good 18650. If you run the light on the highest setting for an hour straight you'll have a problem but with normal use you'll get more than a week out of it easy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kickemall

WKR
Black Diamond Revolt, rechargeable but can also run on regular batteries, has a spot but more importantly it has the best low light for walking I have found (not blinding, spreads out well and low power draw).

Here are the batteries I've been using for the past year and they are great. I run the button tops because they work in anything.

2x AUTHENTIC PANASONIC NCR18650B 3400mAh Rechargeable Battery JAPAN - BUTTON TOP | eBay

To answer your question, I guess it depends on how bright you have your light set and how often you are using it. If its a concern, buy a few batteries (there are other listings on ebay for 4-packs of batteries) and take them with you. I can say I'm typically amazed how long the batteries last though!

Also, a lot of people don't know this, but your light will tell you the approximate battery life if you click the button 4 times. 1 flash is 0-25%, 2 flashes is 26-50%, 3 flashes is 51-75%, and 4 flashes is 75%+.

I have and use a Zebralight running off a single 18650. Love it. It's old and there are newer models out there, but it is durable and simply works. The 18650 platform to me is superior to AA or AAA, though I do have many lights using both standard sizing for different SHTF reasons ;)

More recently I bought an Olight H1R Nova. Found it for about $30 over Turkey Day. It's half the size and less than half the weight using the CR123's (aka "16340") or basically half size 18650's. The number just mean diameter (18mm) and Length (65mm) and '0' denoting a round battery so the CR123's are slightly narrower at 16mm in diameter and 34mm long.

I've got to say that moving from the 18650 to the smaller CR123 size for my headlamp has been more major than I'd have thought. I really love how light and small the headlamp is and prefer that one now as my "daily" carry. I still have and use my bigger batteries but the smaller lighs still has lots of run time and the size is just so refreshing. Sort of like going back to the old AAA Petzl headlamps I used to always run.

I only moved away from Black Diamond and Petzl headlamps because I'd accumulated maybe a dozen over the last decade, all broken after a year or so whereas my single Zebralight and now Olight have simply lasted for years and years meaning I no longer buy a new headlamp every couple seasons...

I only moved away from Black Diamond and Petzl headlamps because I'd accumulated maybe a dozen over the last decade, all broken after a year or so whereas my single Zebralight and now Olight have simply lasted for years and years meaning I no longer buy a new headlamp every couple seasons...

Same here...not to mention when you want 1000 lumens to light up a field, you have it.

Same here...not to mention when you want 1000 lumens to light up a field, you have it.

My weapons light is a Klarus XT2CR that uses a single 18650 and the new Cree XHP35 LED and puts out 1600 lumens ;). It's about the smallest single 18650 light that has a narrow diameter but enough metal for the heat to sink into. Also charges with a USB port right on the light and has a small colored LED on the side thats red/yellow/green at startup to tell you what range the charge is in. Now that one will light up a couple fields :cool:

dpep

FNG
My trusted and true go to is a Petzl Tactikka XP. It's just a sturdy and compact platform that's been with me throughout my military service to now backpacking, hunting, and working around the house. Long range beam with a wide angle lens shroud that can be slid over. your choice of red, blue, green or white. I also find the momentary button useful.

My backup is a Petzl Tactikka + that I have acquired at work. A little more simple and not as sturdy, but still has a red light feature. used to keep it in my jacket pocket at work and use often in the cold. Always worked well.

I have grown accustom to red light at night and its become a feature I can't live without. From preserving your natural night vision, to dubbing around camp/in your tent, and especially when map reading and interacting with others to avoid blinding them with powerful white light.

My new work headlamp is a Princeton Tec Apex. Not a huge fan of rear mounted battery packs, but I need to wear a helmet when on a snowmobile so I just leave it on there most of the time. This one also has held up great in the cold and I've used it in -30 weather. Seems sturdy enough, I like the LED or Beam option also.

BluMtn

WKR
I have been running an Armytek Wizard. You can run it as a head mounted light or clip it to your pack. It takes the 18650 battery. I have had mine for about 4 years now and when I ordered it I got two extra batteries and charger with it. I carry an extra battery with me while I am in the mountains but have yet to change it while there. I will change the batteries every now and then just so I have a fresh battery in. My charger will discharge and recharge my batteries.This light has several different settings for lumans starting at .5 lumans and goes all the way to 1100 lumans. It has a magnet in the base that you can remove if you do not want it. I have been very impressed with it since I have had it.