How effective is HECS Baselayer?

What's going on bros.? I am currently running First Lite base to foul weather layers. I'm very happy with how effective First Lite clothing is. That said, I ran across a video about HECS baselayers. Is there any proof in practical application for any Roksliders? I'm always weary of manufacturers "science".

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

What's going on bros.? I am currently running First Lite base to foul weather layers. I'm very happy with how effective First Lite clothing is. That said, I ran across a video about HECS baselayers. Is there any proof in practical application for any Roksliders? I'm always weary of manufacturers "science".

IMO anecdotes from people on a forum are almost useless. It’s not like, for example, a scent wick where you can see the animal go right up and sniff it. You might have an animal come in and not see you when you feel like it should have but you have no way to quick take the shirt off, have the same animal come in the same way, and then compare the two. Unless you’re doing much more controlled testing a bunch of times (or trusting the work of someone who has) you can’t hope to have a meaningful opinion. I don’t know what’s out there for studies because honestly I can barely afford merino much less HECS but that’s what I would look for as opposed to guys that say it worked a couple times in the woods for them. That’s my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
IMO anecdotes from people on a forum are almost useless. It’s not like, for example, a scent wick where you can see the animal go right up and sniff it. You might have an animal come in and not see you when you feel like it should have but you have no way to quick take the shirt off, have the same animal come in the same way, and then compare the two. Unless you’re doing much more controlled testing a bunch of times (or trusting the work of someone who has) you can’t hope to have a meaningful opinion. I don’t know what’s out there for studies because honestly I can barely afford merino much less HECS but that’s what I would look for as opposed to guys that say it worked a couple times in the woods for them. That’s my two cents.

Well your two cents are appreciated man. I don't think there's enough time or opportunities I want to mess up just to know if they work haha. Pretty happy with my merino too.

Btaylor

WKR
Haven't used it and don't intend too. IMO a good wind checker will do more for your big game hunting success than any brand of clothing one cares to pick.

OP
bguitierez
Haven't used it and don't intend too. IMO a good wind checker will do more for your big game hunting success than any brand of clothing one cares to pick.
Thank you for that. I've listened to plenty of really good hunters like Snyder or Vincent. the consensus seems to be that scent blocker and other "technologies" are really just gimics. Trust me brother I definitely don't think it's possible to buy success. Humbled too many times on stalks haha. That said what is IMO?

I use it off and on. I don't like the material they use and it sucks to have an extra layer during the early season. I do feel that I see and kill more animals with it. I had an elk coming in 2013 when something spooked the elk towards me. He sprinted past me within 10 yards. I kept calling and a minute later a lion bounded in stopping at 6 yards. I recognize this is anecdotal and I'll never prove this, but living in MT for 30 years with a total of 5 cats sightings, I find it interesting that I called this cat in when I was wearing the HECS. That's the last time I've warn itearly season. Like I said I don't like the material.
That same season I kiledl a 320 class bull and a 140 whitetail all wearing the hecs.
I work in healthcare and there have been several studies measuring electro magnetic frequencies and how they relate to health. They have to perform the study within a faraday cage to insure the instruments aren't measuring other frequencies. From what I can tell, the HECS is a faraday cage woven into fabric. If they'd only make it in merino wool.

There’s not enough evidence for me to invest in something like HECS. That’s not to say that I don’t believe it’s possible that it helps. I thought that ozone was a gimmick. I had a bunch of hunters using Ozonics units when they first came out and they didn’t seem to work. Then I met someone with the company and they convinced me to try one; and they gave me instruction on how to use one properly- it isn’t setup like I thought at the time. Once I tried one and set it up the way they said, it has been a serious game changer for hunting out of a ground blind. When I’m guiding a bowhunter or filming for Bow Madness or taking the kids hunting, there’s a LOT of scent to contend with. I’ve had old grey does and big sows circle the blind and stand right outside, downwind, sniffing and not bust us. It’s probably 90% effective and that’s WAY better than I’ve ever had without one. The point is, I can’t say (and I’m not trying to imply) HECS is fake but most of the scent control stuff has turned out to be more of a marketing gimmick than truly effective. Remember the old Scent Blocker advertising phrase, “Forget the wind and just hunt!?” Lol! How many missed opportunities occurred because hunters bought into that hype? So, I’d have to see a lot more anecdotal evidence from a wide array of people I know and respect and who don’t have a vested interest in the product - like endorsement deals.

I think it’s an intriguing idea and I’m not opposed to using technology to my advantage. It’s just a little pricey for me to just test out and scent is MUCH more of an issue to me than movement.

OP
bguitierez
I use it off and on. I don't like the material they use and it sucks to have an extra layer during the early season. I do feel that I see and kill more animals with it. I had an elk coming in 2013 when something spooked the elk towards me. He sprinted past me within 10 yards. I kept calling and a minute later a lion bounded in stopping at 6 yards. I recognize this is anecdotal and I'll never prove this, but living in MT for 30 years with a total of 5 cats sightings, I find it interesting that I called this cat in when I was wearing the HECS. That's the last time I've warn itearly season. Like I said I don't like the material.
That same season I kiledl a 320 class bull and a 140 whitetail all wearing the hecs.
I work in healthcare and there have been several studies measuring electro magnetic frequencies and how they relate to health. They have to perform the study within a faraday cage to insure the instruments aren't measuring other frequencies. From what I can tell, the HECS is a faraday cage woven into fabric. If they'd only make it in merino wool.
That's a cool story! Thank you for sharing the insight. I share the opinion you have (without me actually trying it) I saw the materials used to make it and I definitely don't want to give up my merino wool. But awesome work man. p
Pretty impressive.

OP
bguitierez
There’s not enough evidence for me to invest in something like HECS. That’s not to say that I don’t believe it’s possible that it helps. I thought that ozone was a gimmick. I had a bunch of hunters using Ozonics units when they first came out and they didn’t seem to work. Then I met someone with the company and they convinced me to try one; and they gave me instruction on how to use one properly- it isn’t setup like I thought at the time. Once I tried one and set it up the way they said, it has been a serious game changer for hunting out of a ground blind. When I’m guiding a bowhunter or filming for Bow Madness or taking the kids hunting, there’s a LOT of scent to contend with. I’ve had old grey does and big sows circle the blind and stand right outside, downwind, sniffing and not bust us. It’s probably 90% effective and that’s WAY better than I’ve ever had without one. The point is, I can’t say (and I’m not trying to imply) HECS is fake but most of the scent control stuff has turned out to be more of a marketing gimmick than truly effective. Remember the old Scent Blocker advertising phrase, “Forget the wind and just hunt!?” Lol! How many missed opportunities occurred because hunters bought into that hype? So, I’d have to see a lot more anecdotal evidence from a wide array of people I know and respect and who don’t have a vested interest in the product - like endorsement deals.

I think it’s an intriguing idea and I’m not opposed to using technology to my advantage. It’s just a little pricey for me to just test out and scent is MUCH more of an issue to me than movement.

I'm thinking along the same lines with Hecs. I'm still a relatively newbie with 4 years of bowhunting under my belt. I've found success on two archery bucks and two rifle bucks. Out of the two I've killed with a bow, I've been busted 13 times on different bucks because of wind. I bought into the scent control thing and pages the price for it. That's why I'm pretty skeptical about HECS. The science sounds good, but the so called science sounded good with scent control too! haha.

svivian

WKR
I don't know anything about their hunting line but they do make spearfishing suits and the top guys in the country who i compete with all swear by hecs wetsuits.

OP
bguitierez
I don't know anything about their hunting line but they do make spearfishing suits and the top guys in the country who i compete with all swear by hecs wetsuits.
IMO (haha I used it) the suits make more sense in the water with fish, given the environment, lateralines etc.

Gr8bawana

WKR
IMHO [grin].....BTaylor is right on the money.....

HECS is a gimmick.....PT Barnum was right.......there is one born every minute

If you believe any of the BS from HECS I've got a bridge to sell you.

icEh4IF.png

I'm thinking along the same lines with Hecs. I'm still a relatively newbie with 4 years of bowhunting under my belt. I've found success on two archery bucks and two rifle bucks. Out of the two I've killed with a bow, I've been busted 13 times on different bucks because of wind. I bought into the scent control thing and pages the price for it. That's why I'm pretty skeptical about HECS. The science sounds good, but the so called science sounded good with scent control too! haha.

The ozone thing REAL, that I’ve got to say. In fact, I started rigging my ozonics up to a old garment bag and ‘washing’ my scent out of my clothes nightly, whenever I have it handy. Most of my gear gets a good dousing of ozone now before any hunt- if it’ll fit in that bag. Got some stink to your backpack from hauling meat? Wash it with ozone and that stink is gone. Now they make a special unit for doing that and I think there’s a second company making clothing/gear washing systems, using ozone.