Dry bag recommendations

Doing a float hunt in September. Taking in pack rafts. Would like to keep all my food and gear dry during the float. What dry bags y'all recommend?

JP100

WKR
Ortlieb or Sea to Summit would be my pick, Id go with the heavy duty ones for a raft trip so they can be chucked about with out worrying about them.

Check out Rockagator as well. Bought one of the backpacks and their larger dry bag. Haven't used the bag, but have used the backpack on a few occasions. Stuff looks durable; it's heavy weight as well.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Ortlieb or Sea to Summit would be my pick, Id go with the heavy duty ones for a raft trip so they can be chucked about with out worrying about them.

i have the heavy duty sea to summit roll tops. They are tough as nails. I've rafted with them and was the only one with all my gear completely dry the whole trip.

I have an Ozark Trail one that I bought years ago. It's made of the same stuff the rafts are made of. Tough as nails roll top model. Mine made it down the New River and The Gauley one year without issues. Me and my brother were the only ones with dry clothes when we stopped for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I have three Sealine bags. I used them on several float trips, canoe and kayak trip. They have held up great. I over take them for gear on fly in hunts, when I can make weight. They are great for sitting out on docks or shore in bad weather waiting on a plane.

Mike7

WKR
The sea to summit Big River bags are very, very durable for how light they are. In fact, I am using one this year as my main backpack bag. Some of the heavier bags like sealine, etc. are overkill in my opinion for a packraft trip.

I don't think most rolltop bags will keep things totally dry if you flip a raft and submerge whole bags though. So for things that absolutely must stay dry (e.g. electronics), you might want to consider one Watershed bag like Larry Bartlett recommends.

If your looking to go ultra light wt. look at the offerings in cuben fiber by Zpacks, HMG, or MLD. Looking to go super bomber, then go SealLine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple thousand river miles on a 65L from NRS and it has never let me down. The SeaLine bags are really solid, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Conundrum

FNG
Watershed is all I use now. They are duffels so you don’t have to pull everything out to get what’s in the bottom. The fabric is fairly light but super durable. They have a heavy zip lock type seal plus a roll top-no zipper to fail and I not sure how you could screw up the seal but if you did, it’s still a roll top. Mine have been upside down on a raft (more than once, doh) and everything stays dry. My big one fits perfectly in my pull sled so I’ve had it in <0* temps and they work fine. The new Yetis seem cool but man are they expensive. I’ll stick with Watershed. My oldest bag is somewhere between 15-20 years old and is as dry as day one.

Osprey Dry Sacks, Sea to Summitt and SeaLine. I've got all three but the Osprey are probably the best price and come in sizes from very small to 12L, 20L and more.

frankrb3

WKR
Outdoor Research makes some nice dry bags but my military pack liners (from sealine) have held up great. I actually filled one with a towel, some food, beer, and electronics and snorkeled over a mile to an island in the pacific ocean and everything stayed dry. I just tied a string from the bag to my ankle and towed it behind me. I stopped several times and used it as a flotation device which pretty much completely submerged it under water.

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
Watershed is all I use now. They are duffels so you don’t have to pull everything out to get what’s in the bottom. The fabric is fairly light but super durable. They have a heavy zip lock type seal plus a roll top-no zipper to fail and I not sure how you could screw up the seal but if you did, it’s still a roll top. Mine have been upside down on a raft (more than once, doh) and everything stays dry. My big one fits perfectly in my pull sled so I’ve had it in <0* temps and they work fine. The new Yetis seem cool but man are they expensive. I’ll stick with Watershed. My oldest bag is somewhere between 15-20 years old and is as dry as day one.

Second this, I have had both sea to summit and sealine bags get damp on the inside I believe from seams leaking slightly after hard use. Have never had this issue with watershed. They are heavy duty but with that they are also a little heavier.