Multi fuel stoves - need help

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone here that travels OCONUS, which stove do you bring since you cannot fly with the fuel canisters for jet boil or similar. I see msr makes a bottle stove that has multiple fuel options, are there any others worth it? Looking to pick something up fairly soon. Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Msr whisperlite international model. Gas, kerosene or white gas. You give up a bit of function so don’t think it is the best as a back country gourmet cooker. It roars a bit too. Not jet engine but it is noisy. Get the repair and maintenance kit if you are really going far.

I am on my second one since 1996. Number one was still going strong until my “buddy” stepped on it a while back.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Msr whisperlite international model. Gas, kerosene or white gas. You give up a bit of function so don’t think it is the best as a back country gourmet cooker. It roars a bit too. Not jet engine but it is noisy. Get the repair and maintenance kit if you are really going far.

I am on my second one since 1996. Number one was still going strong until my “buddy” stepped on it a while back.
Is it diesel compatible as well? I know we travel with diesel as all our vehicles are. Just trying to think of what I may actually have available to me in an isolated location. Thanks for the tip I'll check them out.

I think you can burn diesel in the international and dragon fly but need the kerosene jet. I have never done it but a quick google seems to suggest it works but is dirty.

icb12

FNG
Is it diesel compatible as well? I know we travel with diesel as all our vehicles are. Just trying to think of what I may actually have available to me in an isolated location. Thanks for the tip I'll check them out.

You can burn diesel with a whisperlite. I do NOT recommend it though.

White Gas, Kerosene, Gasoline, Diesel, Jet A, 100LL (they say no- but it works). I've run them all through the whisperlite.

Ag diesel (the red shit) actually burned pretty well. I don't know what the difference is- but it must have less additives and friction reducers or something, because it didn't gum up as bad.
In general choose fuel with the least amount of additives as possible.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
You can burn diesel with a whisperlite. I do NOT recommend it though.

White Gas, Kerosene, Gasoline, Diesel, Jet A, 100LL (they say no- but it works). I've run them all through the whisperlite.

Ag diesel (the red shit) actually burned pretty well. I don't know what the difference is- but it must have less additives and friction reducers or something, because it didn't gum up as bad.
In general choose fuel with the least amount of additives as possible.
Thanks for the info. I was asking about diesel mainly for when I deploy. I know I will have access to jp8 and diesel. Reg gas and kerosene are harder to come by.

icb12

FNG
Thanks for the info. I was asking about diesel mainly for when I deploy. I know I will have access to jp8 and diesel. Reg gas and kerosene are harder to come by.

JP8 has some nasty stuff added to it. I would avoid burning that if you can.
I can't imagine the anti-corrosives or anti-icers are going to do good things for you or your stove.

I’ve burned everything in my MSR XGK from sea level to 16000’. Going strong 30 years. I don’t know what the difference is from the whisperlite. The XGK is loud and dirty, but it cooks.

I’ve also been using an alcohol stove for some short local trips made out of a beer can. I would imagine alcohol would be relatively available all over the world from auto parts or hardware stores.

52B11A3A-C4E8-4D72-BE1E-16F8C0B5801B.jpgCD7AAFD0-6294-492B-900A-60E7E7F462FA.jpg

CDNPO

FNG
I run an Optimus Nova multifuel. I have to sacrifice a little extra weight compared to a canister stove, but I love it.

Burns white gas/kerosene/diesel/etc with ease (some fuel just burns dirtier than others). Boils fast (even faster with a wind blocker of foil).

I have taken it on backpack trips through Costa Rica and Venezuela (before it turned to a collapsed state). Flights were no prob. Just flushed the bottle a few times with a heavy cleaner and then packed it into a drybag for the flight. Once you land, just stop at a gas station or a hardware store (every country has them) and spend a couple of dollars for enough fuel to last a week.

It has never failed and is pretty easy to operate. Plus, the bonus is that in an emergency, you have a lot of fuel to use as a fire starter (helped get a fire going for me in the PNW one time when it poured rain for 4 days and we otherwise couldn't get dry/warm).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk