Knee braces?

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Long story short, I suffered a grade 2 ACL tear during archery Elk in oregon last year and reinjured it Climbing Mt. Hood in December. My rehab should be complete by August - but was curious if anyone had suggestions on knee braces that work well for more long term use in the backcountry.

Shraggs

WKR
Nothing as serious as yours. Old football and doing injury no surgery.

Tender. I train lift carefully to build strength.

Found an over the counter from a local pharmacy here. It's cloth compression so it breaths and it has some lateral support sewn in on each side of knee.

I could still overpower it. But has done well for me working out with weight and actually hunting.

Mosby

WKR
I had a full acl, pcl, mcl tear with a broken knee cap a long time ago. Back when they simply took everything out and closed it back up.

I tried a couple of over the counter knee braces several years ago and found they either didn't fit under my pants or those that did were too tight and cut off my circulation when sitting. Now I take a bunch of advil and hope for the best.

ACL repair is so much better today I doubt you will have long term problems, with the proper rehab. They make much better braces than when I last tried as well but some are expensive. You might consider having your Dr prescribe a brace and have your insurance cover it. They make some for athletes that might work well but they can be pricey if you buy it otc.

blackdawg

WKR
My doctor prescribed a Donjoy Defiance Custom Knee Brace following my second ACL surgery. I believe in it, a few slips I took, I believe could have sent me back to the OR table again. I was also able to purchase a severely discounted extra custom brace through Donjoy. I use my braces everyday and would highly recommend the custom level of brace. I only wish I had it many years earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my ortho doc prescribe me my knee brace, insurance even paid for it. I was glad I did it too. the brace help a to last fall and this last winter when we were cat hunting here in Montana, it is just habit that I put the brace on now.

MHWASH

WKR
I had surgery in July. Doc told me that even the most expensive brace does no more good than the old fashioned wrap around ACE bandage. He also said that the ACL is stronger than it was before. I've been on a few hikes and do cardio 5 days a week with 25 pounds in my pack, with out a brace. I do not feel like the knee is weak at all. There is pain and discomfort, but it is what it is. I'm headed for a 3 day spring bear hunt in just over a week, so that will be the first real test. I'll bring Advil.

landont20

FNG
I used to be an orthopedic device rep for almost 10 years. Over that time our company sold just about every knee brace out there. Don’t look up the research on knee bracing and it’s effectiveness, it’s not great. But, if you want to go down the road of one, we have found that the Breg Axiom-D is probably the best brace out there. Very similar to DonJoy. The biggest issue we had when selling the DJ’s was getting them to stay in place, they all seemed to have a tendency to migrate down the leg. The Axiom-D seems to stay in place the best out of all of them. We found that if it stays in place, patients were prone to actually using them. All of these braces are sensitive to how you put them on. There is a method to the madness of getting all the forces in the right sequence. The Breg Fusion is a good one too. If you decide to go down the road and get one, have your Doc write a RX, your insurance should cover it. If you have any questions on how to put it on, shoot me a message, it’d be happy to help.

-Landon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
The Weather finally cooperated enough for a bear hunt. Packed a 45# pack for a mile and 1000' incline the first night. Second day we moved camp another mile after not seeing any bears. Sunday we packed out the 2 miles. Between the three day probably put on 6-7 miles. Did not wear a brace at all. I'll admit there was discomfort, as you can imagine coming down was the most painful. Not once did I feel like the knee was going to give me problems. Next hunt will be in two weeks for 5 days. First day will be a 5 mile hike to the camp spot. I'll have more discomfort in my back than my knee.

Backstrap

FNG
Since it sounds like your ACL was completely repaired you should n't need a brace after therapy. I think what your Doc told you about braces vs an Ace bandage is complete BS. I blew out my ACL and they would not repair it (whole other story) but they did prescribe a Don Joy for me. I still ski and the bad leg does not have the strength and precise control of the ski tip without the brace. It takes a while for the pain to go away but it will and it sounds like you're really working on the strength and recovery.

I have a donjoy that is similar to this. This appears to be a newer version. I will say that I don't use it while hunting. ACL and PCl are gone. Just did PT and have been ok. Never felt the need on a hunt...maybe just been lucky. Brother is missing both his ACL's and no longer wears braces either

Attachments

• donjoy.jpg
    donjoy.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 48

Murdy

WKR
I just have some meniscus tears, no ligament issues (yet). But, I tried several otc braces I ordered off Amazon. The best ones, imho, were the ones with Velcro straps so you can adjust the tightness. The other style, where you just slip it over your foot and up your leg, can be okay, but are hit and miss, in terms of fit.

I'm in the same situation. I have an 80% torn ACL and I'll be fitted with a Don Joy knee brace tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have any input yet. I'm hoping the knee brace will allow me to continue training for an upcoming elk hunt with out completely tearing my ACL.

Felix40

WKR
I had my acl replaced about 10 years ago. The The only thing Ive found that doesnt rub me raw during a serious week of hiking is kt tape. Do a full tape job with two or even three pieces and it will last several days. Shave the area first so you can peel it off easily and replace it when you feel like its not working anymore. I find myself leaving my brace off because its hot, smelly, and itchy.

I got the Donjoy SE4 and used it to walk up and down an interstate overpass (no mountains near by) with a 40lb pack. I didn't have any problems with my knee. I actually started to forget I had a torn ACL. I don't use the knee brace unless I'm working out.

Mitten32

WKR
When you re-injured how did you do so? Was it a sprain, mild tear etc. Hopefully you completed another MRI before initiating your rehab.

A consult with an orthotist can be free based on insurance and state you are in (a phone call may go a long way as well without having to even go in). If you're interested in a brace they should be able to guide you in selecting and fitting the correct one. Be sure to select an orthotist that has more experience in creating and fitting braces to athletes as opposed to the neurological or developmental populations. With that being said there are multiple studies that have found knee braces to non-effective in preventing and even increasing the risk of knee injury as crazy as that sounds.

One study reported that knee braces did indeed reduce the rate of injuries to the MCL (the ligament on the inside of the knee, the inner-knee counterpart to the ACL). Two studies found no effect of prophylactic bracing on knee injuries. One study reported an increase in knee ligament injuries if braces were worn. And another study reported an increase in foot and ankle injuries if knee braces were worn. Keep in mind these studies were specifically done on football players which is obviously different than elk hunting.

The biggest thing with recovery from ACL injuries/tears is completion of the isolated strengthening and range of motion exercises that your therapist should be providing you. Do these diligently and long after you have been completed therapy and no brace should be needed.

Best of luck with you knee.

Long story short, I suffered a grade 2 ACL tear during archery Elk in oregon last year and reinjured it Climbing Mt. Hood in December. My rehab should be complete by August - but was curious if anyone had suggestions on knee braces that work well for more long term use in the backcountry.

Speak to your orthopedist for advice. I had torn medial meniscus surgery 3 consecutive summers when in college. The first two were by a doctor in my fathers plan and not who my school suggested. The third time I was working and had the company medical and the doctor I was originally suggested to see did the surgery.

After my surgery he said NOT to wear any brace because it actually weakens the joint because you're not using your muscle to stabilize the joint. He was one of the primary doctors for the NY Giants and I would often see him on the sidelines as well as the 100 or so pictures of him with pro athletes he treated in his office.

That was 31 years ago and I haven't had an issue since other than some arthritis in the knee but that was inevitable. At the time he scoped me he told me I was one of the lucky 10% because the torn cartilage also usually has a torn ACL, I didn't have arthritis YET, the inside of my knee looked like crab-meat and I could go back to do any activity I did before but also forewarned me at 20 that if I tore it again I was a candidate for joint replacement. It took almost another year of PT after to get my strength back enough for them to release me and I had some pain for about 3 years after but I wrecked it pretty good with college football and wrestling.

Muttley

FNG
I have some experience- I have had 4 different fitted/carbon composite knee braces in the last thirteen or so years: two are Don Joy, one a Ossur and one Townsend. I received the 1st Don Joy after my 1st ACL surgery on my left knee in '05- running (hyperextended). Took me 6 months to finally get an MRI, which showed no ACL (total snap) and some meniscus damage. After surgery, I wore that brace a ton: skiing, running, playing sports and hunting. I was living on Kodiak, so put it thru the paces in AK after goat, elk, bear, moose... never slowed me down. About 5 years later, left knee wasn't feeling right for some time and started locking-up, so got an MRI. ACL gone (snapped again somewhere along the way) and meniscus damage. After surgery received the Ossur brace- didn't slow me down in the field. Five years later, playing ultimate frisbee (wearing brace) I turned and felt a snap. Knee swelled up some, but I kept playing and backpacking w/ my knee brace for the next 8 months before I decided there was something 'more wrong' than normal. MRI showed (again) no ACL and more meniscus damage. So in just over 10 years, 3 different surgeons, 3 surgeries and close to a dozen holes drilled in the bones of my left leg, knee is in rough shape. Lots of play, but because of arthritis, it can't be tightened any more, and I only have 30% meniscus left- didn't slow down. I received a 2nd newer DJ brace and have beat on it. There was talk of a total knee replacement, but I'm not ready yet- it's a sure thing down the road (I'm only 38). Right leg was super strong since it did everything, so it really sucked when, during a simple jump shot last year playing basketball I landed and my right knee bent 90° the wrong way- snapped my MCL, ACL and tore my meniscus (the trifecta) leg flopped around like a dead fish. This time after surgery I received a Townsend.

They all do the same job, but none stay up, and during grueling mountain backpacking, sweating and pushing, I'll need to pull them up every so often. I have worn them on top and under my base layer and compression 'socks'- no difference. I have had 100 plus pounds on my back hauling animals across mountains (with all but newest) with no issue. Townsend is the lowest profile and is as solid and comfortable as the others. The DJ's are the more difficult to put on as the lower support goes in front, and requires me to take my boot off to put on and take off, but are the ones I've beat on the most with no issue. The Ossur has worked as well as the others. I have stopped training with the braces on, I feel I get better total workout without, but I always carry them and trekking poles, since I know I can get out of the woods with them, just have to always have their extra weight in my pack, plus an overnight kit just in case. What ever you get, make sure you get it off when you get camp set up at the end of the day so it can dry some, and wash the straps between hunts because they can get stinky.

Physical therapy, physical therapy, physical therapy, and when rehab is over- train, train, train.

I think I will be slowing down a little after this one (done with sports other than hunting & fishing), but I'm back out: 10 mile round trip with over 2k ft ascent, 25lb pack and my bow chasin turkeys this last weekend- just love it.

hmm yea I've tried the power leg knee braces. They're fairly supportive. You can google search them. For reference I got mine from a company called shopsurges here:

Garuda

FNG
Hello everyone Yes, for such actions, you need your own shoes, which will ensure your safety and the absence of fears that you may get some kind of injury. That is why you should think about buying shoes that can easily provide you with all this. For example, I ordered myself special shoes using https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/orthopedic-bracing-support/knee-brace-support-splint /. This has never caused any complaints and gives me confidence that I will do without injuries. I hope this information will help you.

Last edited: