Trekking Poles....an overlooked piece of equipment

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

The last two years I have really been playing the "ounces" game. Doing everything I can to shave some weight here and there. Recently it dawned on me...My trekking poles, while a staple in my kit, are freaking heavy! I currently run a set of Black Diamond Aluminum ones with rubber handles. They have saved my butt numerous times and helped me pack ALOT of meat back to the truck, but putting them on the scale made me rethink my set up.

I contacted Kendall with Blackovis.com and got the Black Diamond Carbon Distance FLZ poles headed my way. I just got them tonight. I am liking them so far. Super light, built well and I am pretty sure they will fit in just right.

These guys have a big season ahead of them. I have several tags and they will definitely get a fair shake down...starting in May with a Spring Bear Hunt. Full review will be up in Late June and I will continue to update the thread well into November.

Anyone else use these?

27078512088_18325939b4_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to see your thoughts on them. I have a fairly heavy aluminum pair now but have been looking at the ones you got.

Brianb3

WKR
I’ve broke two sets of carbon Leki micro vario. Then Camo fire had the aluminum ones cheap and I’ve not broke them in two seasons. They’re a little loud. A little heavier but I’ve not broke them though I’ve tried many times.

When your tent depends on em they better be reliable. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, as a hard-use "wear item" I just won't buy the spendy ones. I have seen the fancy carbon poles snap where AL usually just bend, not always, they'll break too. I can save those ounces elsewhere.

I have the first set I bought, MTNSmith Pyrite 7075s, still going strong after 1000s of miles. I also need taller poles for my hiking and for my shelter and aluminum seems to have more options.

nrh6.7

WKR
I’ve broke two sets of carbon Leki micro vario. Then Camo fire had the aluminum ones cheap and I’ve not broke them in two seasons. They’re a little loud. A little heavier but I’ve not broke them though I’ve tried many times.

When your tent depends on em they better be reliable. Good luck!

Brian, I have a pair of these but haven't used them hard at all. Where you using them in extreme type conditions to make them break or just normal hunting use?

Brianb3

WKR
Gosh idk. Im generally really hard on stuff. “Bull in a China shop” I’d say in a given week or month I do both some normal some hard but 80% off trail. I broke one going up through blowdown. Then broke the other dumping elevation off a trail. Both snapped in the same place in the same way in the Middle section. They both snapped because at a certain point there’s no more give.

I Have it burned in my brain both scenarios where I broke the carbons and have thought several times with my aluminum’s that they were going to break at any second and they have pushed through.

I am running the black diamond trail ergo cork. They are pretty heavy at 17 oz for the pair but pull double duty as poles for my tarp, so I'm stuck with the telescoping style.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been running these for years busted a few but they get a ton of abuse and mileage better them than me👍

If not hunting most of my pics for close to a decade will have trekking poles in my hands...I believe they have helped keep my 11 surgery knee going on some long packouts and help grinding out some uphill. Yep like all the gear we use many options but Black Diamond has treated me well with some warranty replacement others simply they wore out like a good pair of boots.they will save energy, punishment and help keep you upright the key is to have them with you when needed:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the Black Diamond Trail Pros IIRC....saved my knees and ankles on several occasions. One in particular, a small ridge crumbled away beneath me, as I was going down, instinctively drove the pole into the ground above me...it flexed but held me upright even though both feet had slid down hill (hard to describe). I remember looking at it in a split second as it bent, then I got a foot under myself and pulled myself up straight again. Pole went back straight...all well. If I had not had those poles, I would have fallen hard sideways and probably serious hurt myself.
Another occassion in Colorado, basically had to use them as crutches going downhill as my knee had blown out. They took it, no problem. Felt stupid when I first bought them, but now, man, one of the best things I bought.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The aluminum Distance Z poles are only one ounce per pole heavier than the carbon version, quite a bit more resistant to breaking, and like two-thirds the price. Great poles, break down to 15-16 inches and 12.1 oz per set for the moderate length set. Great Product!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I require at least 1 trekking pole on any overnight adventure. I prefer 2 in the right terrain.

They do double duty as the structure of my shelter.

I’ve been using trekking poles (for all of my hiking/training hikes/hunting, and a lot of my shelter system set ups), religiously now for over 10 years and the only regret I have is not using them sooner. My first pair were Leki aluminum twist locks which I returned, after having issues with the locks, and replaced with BD carbon flick locks. I currently have 3 pair of CF flick lock poles, the heaviest being the BD at 18 oz. and lightest being Locus Gear at 11 oz. All have served me well but for wt. reasons, the LG poles get used more than the others now. I did break the thinnest section on a BD pole once but it was totally my fault (stumbled and grabbed it while getting into the shelter that it was supporting). BD would not warranty the section because the poles were over a year old, so they charged me $40 with shipping, to replace it. Dealing with BD on this issue was a real PITA, and I haven’t bought another BD product since...don’t know if I ever will.

Last edited:
Costco is again selling "Cascade Mountain Tech" poles for $29. I couldn't pass them up - carbon, adjustable, and 15.7oz. I'd been using a decade old but good set of aluminium Komperdells that have treated me very well but the old style twist locks were starting to occasionally slip. Figured I'd give these a try. Not out too much if I don't like them......

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve got some komperdells that I beat the heck out of since ~ 2000. I’m looking to get a newer, lighter pair and was considering the aluminum version of the ones in the OP.

Brock, I watched one of those poles snap in half last year on a goat hunt while traversing an avalanche chute, my friend wasn't too happy about it considering the hefty price tag. Either way, I hope that they work out for you and it doesn't happen.

I've been using simple BD Trail Shock Pros for many years and they are still going strong.

I can't imagine going on a mountain hunt without them, they are invaluable to me.

I am anxious to hear the review Brock I’ve been using a set of MSR poles that are pretty light. The way those BD poles bend freaks me out. They just don’t seem durable to me. I guess we will soon find out. Good luck on your spring bear hunt.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, I watched one of those poles snap in half last year on a goat hunt while traversing an avalanche chute, my friend wasn't too happy about it considering the hefty price tag. Either way, I hope that they work out for you and it doesn't happen.

I've been using simple BD Trail Shock Pros for many years and they are still going strong.

I can't imagine going on a mountain hunt without them, they are invaluable to me.

Nick,

Thanks for the insight. Durability will definetely be a point of interest.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk