What Tarp stakes and hammer?

MHWASH

WKR
I received a 10 x 10 tarp to use as a day time shelter between showers and as a sun shade. What are some good light weight but durable options for stakes and a hammer?

bpctcb

WKR
I like MSR groundhogs for stakes; some people like the mini groundhogs. I guess it depends on soil/ground conditions. I believe there are titanium stakes available if you want to spend the money.
I never carry a hammer. I can always find a rock somewhere to use.

BP

2nd the groundhogs. They are awesome. Lightweight and can smash with a rock and not bend them very often.
They hold in most soil types very well...sandy then just top off with large rocks and you are all set.

young7.3

WKR
1. Ground hog stakes. If you want to go ultralight, ruta locora makes carbon fiber/aluminum stakes.
2. A rock

dpep

FNG
+1 for Groundhogs. I also have some Sierra Designs J-Pegs that work well too.

I usually bring a lightweight hatchet that doubles as a hammer.

xrayit

FNG
MSR ground hogs are cheap, light weight and durable. Ti nail stakes are durable weigh more than aluminum but for me don’t hold as well as ground hogs in some soil types. Not a fan of the j style stakes in aluminum or Ti. Carbon stakes are light weight, expensive and delicate IMHO. Managed to break two of six carbon stakes on the first outing, seems a big rock has adverse effects on carbon stakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got some nice lite titanium ones by a company called TiTo off amazon for I think 10 dollars for 6. I got 2 sets of them and so far they seem to work really well. I havnt personally used them but I loaned a tarp to a buddy of mine and he said they were great.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Perfect, thanks guys.

As far as the rock goes, do you prefer basalt or granite?

AdamW

WKR
Perfect, thanks guys.

As far as the rock goes, do you prefer basalt or granite?

I don't care as much about the rock/mineral composition as much as I do the weight. I like one about 6 lbs, it typically fits in my pack hip belt pouch better than larger rocks. #ultralight

jmden

WKR
Just realize that even though Groundhogs are 7075-T6, they will still snap at the the top where the stake out cord goes if pounded too hard with anything. Take a few more taps of less force to get the job done, rather than breaking one. Some of the 'copies' of the Groundhog ar 6061-T6 and will not take nearly the beating. There are a number of other copies that are either 7075-T6 or 7001 series that are quite strong. I've played around with a few and even though you can get them much cheaper, I've always come back to the regular Groundhogs to send out to customers with my tents.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the amazon groundhog knockoffs for 2 years now without any issues. I've been very happy with them and just ordered another couple packs for them.

As others have mentioned I too prefer the MSR groundhogs and never bring a hammer. The groundhogs are not a free hand push in type stake such as the rounded sherpards hook styles out there but are easily tapped in with a rock or baton in with wood and hold real good in different types of soil .

If a more standard straight shaft stake is preferred I've found the ruta locura carbon sorex stakes to be solid and very light ..

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Groundhogs or mini Groundhogs depending on the expected terrain/type of soil. Step on them in the angle you want them to go then finish with a rock or a piece of wood.