Marsupial vs Outdoor Vision Bino Harness

Vangysway

FNG
I've narrowed it down to these two bino harnesses as my top two choices. I'd imagine I can't really go wrong with either, but I thought I'd hear some final thoughts before pulling the trigger. I'll be pairing it with an FHF rangefinder pouch.

Thanks,

Alex

Brendan

WKR
Not what you asked, but I wouldn't recommend the Marsupial or the outdoor vision because they contain magnets (or any other product that does). We did a test this year where a friend was getting all turned around trying to navigate with his phone (Gaia) because if he forgot to extend it away from his body, the magnet was affecting his compass reading / heading within the app... I believe we tested it with two phones and a GPS. Can't remember which harness it was, but that's what was causing it.

Personally - I like AGC for the elastic storage on the top (elk calls and windicator) and the fact I can fit my rangefinder in the front pouch. I did replace the buckles with autolocks through.

Ronb

WKR
The magnets mess with my garmin rino 650t, but it doesn’t mess with my iphone onx map app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
The magnets mess with my garmin rino 650t, but it doesn’t mess with my iphone onx map app.

Has nothing to do with the app, it has to do with the phone. In general I've noticed android phones to be more picky, but I looked up the iPhone X and magnets can affect the internal compass reading. When you're moving it's not an issue as the track comes from the GPS. But when you're stationary and looking at bearings or directions to certain features within an app, it can be affected. All depends on how strong the magnet is, and how close you hold your phone. When we tested it, just had to remember to keep the phone away from the harness...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used the marsupial for close to two years now and yes the closure magnets will impact a GPS or compass but it's like only a 8 or 10 inches bubble outside that it's a non issue. I just hold it lower when I want a reading. For me the upsides of the design far out wiegh the inconveniences

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Marsupial Gear for two years and I love it. I beats the pants off the FHF harness I had before that. I have also looked into the Outdoor Visions option. The only things about the Outdoor Visons I might like better would be it is fully enclosed and it has a longer piece of material running down your spine.

One feature I really like about the Marsupial that I don't think the OV has is the magnets on the bottom of the bino pouch to hold the lid down and out of the way when the pouch is open. Love that feature. Keeps things out off the way and not flopping around. The harness is extremely well made and has been bomb proof for me.

bates

WKR
I have tried Kuiu, Muley Freak, AGC and the Outdoor Vision

of all of those my favorites are an old original AGC compact harness and the Outdoor Vision

i really like the outdoor vision and would go that way

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Marsupial. The Outdoor Vision harness straps look like a sweatbox. These things aren't carrying tons of weight, I don't need tons of material and padding. I have an AGC as well, I feel the straps are overkill on that too. I do like that the OV is more full coverage, and the rain cover is neat. Am I mistaken or are there no tethers on the OV system?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The OV straps are super comfy and don't sweat you out any worse than any other model. The padding is very minimal. I have an older version, but I believe the newer models also have the lower set of magnets to hold the flap open. The rangefinder case does, as well. I think a lot of guys would find the OV harness a little sleeker and less bulky than the Marsupial. Possibly a little fuller coverage to keep out debris, if you're a brush-buster or a crawl around on the ground kind of guy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OV straps are super comfy and don't sweat you out any worse than any other model. The padding is very minimal. I have an older version, but I believe the newer models also have the lower set of magnets to hold the flap open. The rangefinder case does, as well. I think a lot of guys would find the OV harness a little sleeker and less bulky than the Marsupial. Possibly a little fuller coverage to keep out debris, if you're a brush-buster or a crawl around on the ground kind of guy.
I don't see how it could be sleeker or more streamlined how about a picture depicting these features

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have the OV and I really like it. It sets close to the body, is sleek and thin in comparison to most other models, holds the glass tight to you when bending over, and the fact the lid opens forward and out of the way really shines with me. FWIW, people have known that magnets fool with compass readings for at least a 100 years. You just simply hold the compass away from the magnet when using it. God Bless

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG

Would you say it's equally as sleak when open, or is the OV a bit more bulky due to the lid not closing flat like the Marsupial does?

Felix40

WKR
I have the marsupial but they are so similar that Im sure you will like either one. Looks like the pros of the marsupial are easier one hand opening/closing, potentially cooler straps, and sleek when open. Pros of the OV are quieter material and better protection when closed.

The owner of marsupial has been great when Ive talked to him too.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the Marsupial will be "flatter" when open, but I wouldn't sneak around too much with any of them wide open. The OV is more of an actual lid, where the Marsupial is a flap. This is also why the OV has better coverage protection. I found them equally easy to operate fully one handed, just found the Marsupial louder if it suddenly closed on the magnets on it's own. Now, this would probably only matter on a spot n' stalk if you were really close to game or in a stand, but I just found it a bit easier to "ease" the OV harness closed. Mine doesn't have the magnets that lock it open, but with a little use, the fabric softened up and it stays open fine on it's own. I'm sure you would find either one very functional and comfortable.

sheephunt

FNG
Agree w/RustyHazen. I prefer the OV. Has better coverage. I have the more recent version and the top lid does have magnets that hold it open (when in the open position). No issue at all with the straps and heat. The look bigger than they actually are.

It is extremely quiet and very simple with one-hand. The rain fly in the lower pocket is cool, but also nice that it has a quick release to remove it, if you don't feel you need it on a given day. I stick my knife in there.