Water purification

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I are going to be on a 7-8 day deer hunt this November, and are gathering the needed supplies. Next on our list is a water filtration system. Typically when hunting hard we'll go through 4 liters each a day. So we're looking at having to purify 8-9 liters a day. I have a MSR MiniWorks EX water filter, but it takes 85 pumps per liter according to the manual. In real life it seems like 100+. It takes forever!!! I'm looking for something that won't take quiet as long, and won't rob the bank. Open to any and all ideas. Thanks.

I've been looking at this one. Anyone have any experience with it?

First Need XLE Elite Water Purifier

First Need XLE Elite Water Purifier at REI

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you know what your water sources look like as far as distance and how many streams lakes seeps you have in the area?

Id definitely go with gravity fed and take a steripen as a backup or Tablets as a backup. I can filter 4 liters in under 5 mins but it takes me being able to fill up the bladder quickly. We also take a small cup to pour into the bladder if you cant dip your bladder in the scoop the water.

Steripen is nice as its super lightweight. Also putting a Sawayer mini on your regular bladder and just purifying as you drink is also another nice way to go. Alot of us have done that in the past.

I have no expierence with the First Need but just remember you get what you pay for. One thing you definitely dont want to fail is your filter. Always take a backup as well.

I use a steripen and have had zero issues with it. It takes around a minute and the taste sure beats using iodine tablets, etc... I also don't have to worry about the filter freezing with water inside and.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Sawyer squeeze system and have had good luck with it. I carry a dirty water bladder and a clean water. If I'm in a rush and don't have to worry about water availability in the area I'm in, I can fill the dirty bladder, seal it, and filter later. If water is scarce, I fill the dirty and filter into the clean, then fill the dirty again and take it along for later. It's a very versatile system, easy to find, and inexpensive.

The only issue I know of that other people have run into with this system is things freezing if it gets really cold. If you consistently hunt in below freezing temps, you may want to consider something else. It does have to freeze pretty hard to effect it, so just touching 32 degrees probably won't cause any damage. I don't hunt in the frozen dead of winter much, so when it does drop down to low temps at night I wrap the filter housing in a towel and put it inside my sleeping bag to keep it warm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the Sawyer squeeze system and have had good luck with it. I carry a dirty water bladder and a clean water. If I'm in a rush and don't have to worry about water availability in the area I'm in, I can fill the dirty bladder, seal it, and filter later. If water is scarce, I fill the dirty and filter into the clean, then fill the dirty again and take it along for later. It's a very versatile system, easy to find, and inexpensive.

The only issue I know of that other people have run into with this system is things freezing if it gets really cold. If you consistently hunt in below freezing temps, you may want to consider something else. It does have to freeze pretty hard to effect it, so just touching 32 degrees probably won't cause any damage. I don't hunt in the frozen dead of winter much, so when it does drop down to low temps at night I wrap the filter housing in a towel and put it inside my sleeping bag to keep it warm.

^^^^This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. As far as water sources go, we're looking at small streams and natural lakes. I really like the idea of the gravity fed water filtration system, but I'm worried about them freezing. We will be up around 8500 feet in elevation in November. Any way to keep them from freezing? The squeeze deals seem like they'd work pretty good for us.

twall13

WKR
I have the first need XLE filter and it works well. It outperformed my brothers katadyn pump in both speed and cleanliness of water (visible color difference) from the same water source a couple of years ago and it wasn't even a close comparison. All that said, it does come with some downsides to be aware of. It's pretty heavy for a pump filter (17.5 Oz.) and I've found once the filter gets plugged, it becomes very difficult to pump and is pretty much useless until you replace the filter. Many other models are field maintainable but this one really isn't. Yes you can backflush to a degree by opening a port but that only goes so far in my experience. It can quickly become expensive replacing the filter at $50 each. That said, depending on how dirty the water source is, a 10 day hunt should be reasonable for two guys with that filter though the flow rate will likely slow some towards the end of the trip. It really does a good job and not only filters, but purifies water unlike most filters. As a side note, the pump handle is plastic and I always felt like it was flimsy and going to break at some point but that's really all in my mind as I used it a fair bit for a couple of years without issue.

As others above, I've mostly moved to a Sawyer squeeze system for backpacking (I tried the Sawyer mini but it plugged too rapidly and became very slow). I have quick disconnects on my hydration bladder so I don't have to remove it from my pack to fill it. I can use it as a gravity system, or squeeze directly into a cup/nalgene as desired. This is lighter and a bit more versatile for me. Both the Sawyer's and the First Need filters are susceptible to freezing so you'll need to watch for that regardless of which you choose. I think it's good practice to protect any filter from freezing but maybe that's just me..

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Thanks everyone. As far as water sources go, we're looking at small streams and natural lakes. I really like the idea of the gravity fed water filtration system, but I'm worried about them freezing. We will be up around 8500 feet in elevation in November. Any way to keep them from freezing? The squeeze deals seem like they'd work pretty good for us.

Shake it out really good after each use, put it in a ziplock baggy and put that bag on your person, close to your body. An interior pocket of a coat, etc. is a good place for it. Throw it in your sleeping bag at night as well.

Mosby

WKR
The only way I know of to keep it from freezing overnight is body heat unless you have a heated tent. I sleep with mine. I also take a back up either a steripen or aquamira tablets or liquid drops. Sometimes both. They don't freeze and if something fails or breaks I have a plan b.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I looked more into Sawyers website, and it looks like they have everything we need. The prices are super low too. I'm going to get an inline water filter for my hydration bladder, with the quick disconnect kit, and a few of the squeeze filters. That should be perfect for the hunt.

jolemons

WKR
I can't get into the gravity fed hype. I carry a 3L bladder in my pack that I pump directly into with a quick connect. By connecting a Katadyn to the bite valve connection, I can setup, pump and take down in about 5 min.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I can't get into the gravity fed hype. I carry a 3L bladder in my pack that I pump directly into with a quick connect. By connecting a Katadyn to the bite valve connection, I can setup, pump and take down in about 5 min.

I use quick disconnects and a gravity system via the sawyer squeeze. I don't take my bladder out but instead of pumping I can hang the bladder for 5 minutes while I do something else, usually get a meal ready. I could always squeeze the water in as well via the same quick disconnects but I like being able to walk away and do something else while my bladder is filled for me.

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
I use quick disconnects and a gravity system via the saeyer squeeze. I don't take my bladder out but instead of pumping I can hang the bladder for 5 minutes while I do something else, usually get a meal ready. I could always squeeze the water in as well via the same quick disconnects but I like being able to walk away and do something else while my bladder is filled for me.

Good point. Another useful feature of a pump is not having to fill a dirty bladder. The pump inlet hose can be several feet long to get into deep crevice creeks, suck from shallow pools, etc. Additionally it has kept me from having to get my feet and hands wet from being able to stay away from the water source. I find this handy when I camp by water and am wearing my crocs. I don't like having to get into the water when it's cold to fill from a shallow stream.

twall13

WKR
I don't typically have to get in the water to fill the bladder but you make a good point. There are some water sources that are much easier to filter with a pump than trying to fill a bladder. Not a problem in the areas I typically hunt but I have been in a few areas where a pump works much better to pull water from the source.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. Another useful feature of a pump is not having to fill a dirty bladder. The pump inlet hose can be several feet long to get into deep crevice creeks, suck from shallow pools, etc. Additionally it has kept me from having to get my feet and hands wet from being able to stay away from the water source. I find this handy when I camp by water and am wearing my crocs. I don't like having to get into the water when it's cold to fill from a shallow stream.

I don't usually run into this issue in the area I hunt, so the Sawyer works great. A friend of mine dealt with the situation you're talking about a few times, so he got a length of hose and a primer ball for a fuel line on a boat. He uses is exclusively for filling his dirty water bladder, and uses a Camelback bladder with the large cap so he can store the hose and primer ball inside the bladder when not in use and the bladder is empty.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is interesting to hear all the different experiences.. Oh for the good old days when you could just stick your head in the creek and guzzle away! LOL

To be honest most of the time AK sheep hunting if we could find clear water and were high enough we just went with it... When we did have to filter it was the Sawyer Mini and it worked ok. Wasn't perfect but for the weight it worked well.
Amazon.com : Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System, Single, Blue : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors

For areas where getting water was tricky or we knew it would be silty we used an MSR Filter. They make good filters.
This is the one I have: MSR(R) MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

We have not used this filter yet (MSR Trailshot) but picked one up this off season to try out.
Amazon.com : MSR TrailShot Pocket-Sized Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness : Sports & Outdoors
Seemed like it would be faster than the Sawyer, but certainly more expensive.... I think we hit a sale and paid around $35 or so.

Aquatabs. Saves weight, no hassle, and they work.

Chlorine Dioxide tabs are my go to as well. Almost weightless, and very little bad taste to the water (provided you wait about an hour before you drink it.)

I typically bring a bunch of Chlorine Dioxide tabs and a small MSR Trailshot for when I can only find really nasty water.