MSR Dromedary Taste

slowelk

WKR
How's the water taste with the polyurethane lining? If the taste in intolerable what are your other suggestions for durable water storage?

Bulldawg

WKR
I haven’t noticed any taste difference at all, only thing is the chlorine tablets I use in it sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I have a regular one and a light weight model one and notice no flavor induced from either. We really like them!

mk_v

WKR
How's the water taste with the polyurethane lining? If the taste in intolerable what are your other suggestions for durable water storage?

I had a bad taste when I first got one, but after a few uses it went away. Maybe wash it out really good so you don’t have to worry about it.

LaHunter

WKR
I used the 6L size last year and didn't notice any taste. I washed mine out really good with dishwashing soap prior to use.

jmden

WKR
Mine taste bad if the water is in there any length of time. Well known issue. Depending on the kind of trip, I either use the water out of those ASAP or wait til the end of a trip and only drink it if I have to, hoping I won't go through that much water. On week long sea kayaking trips, I can get 'forced' into drinking from them.

Get some Platypus bags. Lighter, cheaper, durable and no taste.

It is all good. I haven’t found the taste to be an issue. If you are worried rinse it with a few gallons of water upon receiving. You should wash it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback.

Which platypus to you recommend?

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Also, how's the durability of the light vs the regular?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a 4 liter Drom-lite for every backpack hunt I've done plus a ton of training hikes for four years, now. The durability has been all I could hope for. Never failed or leaked. Not a mark on it. I use it as my main bladder. I wouldn't buy the regular Dromedary bag, simply because it's heavier and more expensive.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
We used both the dromedary and drom-lite version last year and didn't notice any bad taste. Like others have said, wash them out before using and should be all good.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
General tip: If you get a new plastic container that is smelly you can rise/wash with really hot water and also fill with a lemon juice solution for a bit (and rinse/wash with hot again). I got some 10L collapsing jugs for base camp that came stinky but after a cycle of wash/lemon/wash they no longer smell and water out of them tasted fine.

ianpadron

WKR
I have the MSR 10L and have no idea what taste you guys are talking about and I'm pretty picky about my water.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
No issues whatsoever on either of the 4L Droms I've used. The only reason I had to get a second one was due to giving the first one away.

Another bladder with absolutely no bad taste issues is the Hydration brand.