Backpacking skillet

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone uses or knows about a good lightweight skillet that would be good for short backpacking trips with the kids. Bacon in the morning is something we all love! I have one from my trangia alcohol cookset, but wondering what else anyone here uses. Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

xrayit

FNG
Fry-bake pans are my go to camping pans, the alpine set is a reasonable size for backpacking if you like to actually cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I picked up a really small skillet at Walmart. Maybe 4" wide aluminum and teflon coated. It only weighs a few onces. One egg at a time tho!

I cook a piece of bacon cut in half, when near Down cracked an egg over it and thru it in tortilla. Worked well, one at a time...

GPool1842

WKR
Check out the new Sea to Summit Alpha Pan 8” and 10”.. $35 and $45 respectively. I’m going to pick up the 10”.. read good things about their new Alpha cooksets and cookware.

OP
S
Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I will take a look and pick something up. The spring fishing trips are great for fire cooking, ie. no ban on fires

boom

WKR
For a short trip with kids, why not that Paderno carbon steel skillet? It would be bomb proof and damn near perfect for bacon. Not the lightest option, but with kids, you going in far? I dunno.

OP
S
For a short trip with kids, why not that Paderno carbon steel skillet? It would be bomb proof and damn near perfect for bacon. Not the lightest option, but with kids, you going in far? I dunno.
Absolutely. Just wanting to get away from the cast Iron

Shraggs

WKR
I just remembered something I tried.

My wife bought those cookies that come in a roll, and it came with this thin 4" coast iron fry pan and o make big cookies at home.

I nabbed it. Not light maybe 4-5 oz. did a scouting trip and took it and stove. Cooked a bacon strip cut in half, then cracked an egg over it and thru it tortilla.

It's a novelty piece, but it will serve one and an option I'll do again.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used the GSI pan a little bit. Seems to work well and weighs nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk