Drakon Carbon Trekking poles

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After snapping several high end carbon trekking poles. I bought a set of these last fall and they have been great and are reasonably priced. DrakonSticks

– Drakon Outdoors

848c8268176209fd1ee107f33e3c1c08.jpg

bead5a563e3741b2ff6f9fd5cf785179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, I know, I’ve said it on here many times but I’ll go ahead and say it again, Costco, $29, flick lock and 15 oz. for the pair.
76a4abc69cc423c541660500263b8d6a.jpg

89fa3af7cbc81b1ad214f75ea898e948.jpg

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I know, I know, I’ve said it on here many times but I’ll go ahead and say it again, Costco, $29, flick lock and 15 oz. for the pair.

I’ve broke two of those... but I’m husky!

After snapping several high end carbon trekking poles. I bought a set of these last fall and they have been great and are reasonably priced. DrakonSticks

– Drakon Outdoors

848c8268176209fd1ee107f33e3c1c08.jpg

bead5a563e3741b2ff6f9fd5cf785179.jpg

And look at that Carbon- that is sexy. If your current trekking poles aren't sexy looking, well they are just plain junk, no matter how long they have lasted.
Carbon is the only requirement that matters.
lol

But because I myself am sexy, I don't need to add sexy to my system, I can use alumn poles.
:)
And I'm cheap, sexy and cheap.... ok just cheap.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
And look at that Carbon- that is sexy. If your current trekking poles aren't sexy looking, well they are just plain junk, no matter how long they have lasted.
Carbon is the only requirement that matters.
lol

But because I myself am sexy, I don't need to add sexy to my system, I can use alumn poles.
:)
And I'm cheap, sexy and cheap.... ok just cheap.

Always been a sucker for carbon. But truthfully the set I’ve had the longest was a cheap ass set from black diamond. But I left them by the tree I butchered my elk by last year..... hopefully they are still there.

Always been a sucker for carbon. But truthfully the set I’ve had the longest was a cheap ass set from black diamond. But I left them by the tree I butchered my elk by last year..... hopefully they are still there.

Send me the pin ill retreave them for you, no charge, and I'll try to not remember the secret spot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

moeleo

WKR
I bough a set of hiker hunger poles off amazon a few months ago. Came with rubber tips, rubber shoes for pavement, mud and snow baskets for like $60. Flick lock and have seemed so far to hold up well. Haven’t put them through the paces yet but so far so good.

Trial153

WKR
I bough a set of hiker hunger poles off amazon a few months ago. Came with rubber tips, rubber shoes for pavement, mud and snow baskets for like $60. Flick lock and have seemed so far to hold up well. Haven’t put them through the paces yet but so far so good.

Do they really come in at under a pound for the set?

moeleo

WKR
Again though. Not sure how well they hold up to the Drakon Poles. Haven’t put them to the test but I’m sure The Drakon have to be really good otherwise Ryan wouldn’t recommend them.

Trial153

WKR
I am going to pick up a pair of the hiker hunger poles. Might list my BD and Leki on ebay.
I like the weight of them the reviews are solid

jmden

WKR
Causeway Walking Poles

I've been running the DAC/Helinox Causeway "GL145" (listed above) for several years. They are specifically designed for tough terrain with heavy loads as mentioned in the description. Nothing is bombproof and I did snap the lower section of a pair going down a 50 degree slope to retrieve a bear when it got stuck and I kept going--I'm sure many here understand. The GL stands for Groove Lock and the sections of the pole have grooves every 5cm that give a mechanical lock between pole sections combined at the same time with a friction lock. This was always one failure point I'd had with high end poles in the past--when wet and/or under heavy load in nasty terrain, the friction lock was more likely to give way at the moment you needed it most. With the Groove Lock, properly done, I've not had this problem. It holds. I've had much more confidence in them than other poles I've had and they weigh 15.2 oz total. I take the baskets off (never needed 'em) and get it down to 14 oz with a pole that is meant for heavy duty work. With a heavy pack of meat, I can be over 300 lbs and going down a steep 45 degree mountain slope with no trail...a pair of trekking poles becomes nearly mandatory. And, they must work! Have the set without the shock absorber. Have run both shock absorber and non shock absorber and not seen a difference that matters to me. Lighter and less to go wrong without the shock absorber.

Not sure where to get 'em at the moment. Big Agnes used to be the Helinox distributer and I got them on a pro-deal from them, but that particular pole isn't on their site now.

I love these and use these exclusively and have for several years with heavy loads and long miles!! I’ve had to replace the nuts on the flip locks but that’s it. I had one stick on the rocks last year packing out my bear and I thought for sure it was going to snap but she held strong!! I guess if one breaks I’ll try the Drakons!!! It looks like the Hiker Hunters from Amazon are very similar to the Costco ones.

Yeah old thread late too the party . I currently use Peax sissy stix backcountry elite"s ( pricey but excellent ) . However a partner of mine uses the Drakon , excellent premium set currently $107 delivery included .
As most of you's know the Peax bottoms are aluminum with the top two sections carbon fiber .