Benchmade Mini Griptilian G10 Handle

asac12

FNG
I recently purchased a mini grip with the grey/blue G10 handle as a EDC. To everybody with the same knife, does your handle scratch up/mar as easily as mine? The knife is a couple of weeks old and it's only been in/out of my jean's pocket. An email from Benchmade's CS said the G10 handles can dry out and recommended rubbing it down with gun oil. I did and the scratches mostly disappeared, but reappeared after a couple of days. Is this normal?

20180410_131205_resized.jpg20180410_131309_resized.jpg20180410_131348_resized.jpg20180410_131418_resized.jpg

Wolfey

FNG
I have the same knife and EDC it and it shows no wear at all. What pants are you wearing? Maybe that's the cause of scratches.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wolfey

FNG
Some quick reading on a knife forum pointed out that using Ballistol on g10 scales helps with scratches.

OP
A

asac12

FNG
Here's the post I mentioned. Scroll down to the last few posts to find the method to treat the scales.
How does G10 wear? - Spyderco Forums

Thanks for the info. I actually did the same thing with M-Pro 7 gun oil, but I didn't let it sit overnight in a ziplock bag. I'll try that step and see if the results last longer than my previous attempt. The knife has only been in/out of my jeans so far and it's a couple of weeks old, so I'm really surprised the G10 handle would scratch up so easily/quickly out of the box.

I have the same knife (blue/g10 handles/20cv), just the full sized griptillian and have it in my pocket everyday - now im wearing Prana Brion pants instead of jeans (once you wear these you just won't go back). I can get away with wearing them into the office cause they somewhat resemble slacks; and they are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Anyway - looking at my knife; no noticable wear on the handle. Maybe it has to do with jeans or you got a bad handle?

OP
A

asac12

FNG
I have the same knife (blue/g10 handles/20cv), just the full sized griptillian and have it in my pocket everyday - now im wearing Prana Brion pants instead of jeans (once you wear these you just won't go back). I can get away with wearing them into the office cause they somewhat resemble slacks; and they are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Anyway - looking at my knife; no noticable wear on the handle. Maybe it has to do with jeans or you got a bad handle?

I'm starting to believe I got a bad handle. Benchmade CS said it's not a warranty issue since it doesn't affect the functionality. Definitely crappy news for a brand new knife.

I have a mini-barrage with the same color G10 handle and really like that knife. I haven't noticed marks on the handle but I'll look a little closer. That being said to me the knife is a tool and it's sort of expected to get some wear marks and such being carried and used every day. I get your point that you want it to look nice for a long time and you take care of it but I guess some wear would be expected.

OP
A

asac12

FNG
I have a mini-barrage with the same color G10 handle and really like that knife. I haven't noticed marks on the handle but I'll look a little closer. That being said to me the knife is a tool and it's sort of expected to get some wear marks and such being carried and used every day. I get your point that you want it to look nice for a long time and you take care of it but I guess some wear would be expected.

I 100% agree with you that wear and tear is expected from an EDC tool. The issue I have with the scratches on mine is it's a brand new knife. I haven't had many chances to use it as a tool since it's only a couple of weeks old. It's cut a few cardboard boxes and been in my jean's pocket most of the time. I'm only surprised that a G10 handle would be so susceptible to wear from a pant's pocket right off the bat.

Beendare

WKR
My main EDC is the mini Grip in olive, love it.......scales hold up well....my only gripe is the end of the clip is too big...catches on stuff. I'm going to have to grind in down