Looking to pick up my first GPS

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
First post on Rokslide! Been a lurker for quite sometime and finally broke down and joined the fold. I'm from the East coast and try to get out west at least 1-2 times a year.

Looking for recommendations on GPS's. I have made it this far with just topo's, google earth print outs, and my iPhone. With the unreliable battery life and unknown service, I would like to pick up a GPS as a security blanket when backpacking into wilderness areas.

Thanks in advance!
John

NDGuy

WKR
Garmin 64s or 64st. Easily the best bang for your buck, very durable and easy to use. You will never have to worry about a touch screen going out or not working in the cold like the Oregon or Montana.

Only downside is it takes double AAs and cannot be charged on the go, need to swap the batteries.

If you don't care about money, the InReach Explorer is a similar interface as the 64 but also can send text messages (although very slow to do so, no autocorrect or anything lol)

Check this site out if you want more detailed info.

The Best Handheld GPS | OutdoorGearLab

frankrb3

WKR
Garmin 64s or 64st. Easily the best bang for your buck, very durable and easy to use. You will never have to worry about a touch screen going out or not working in the cold like the Oregon or Montana.

I agree. I have been using a Garmin 64 for 5 years and it's been great. I lost mine last year while shed hunting and replaced it with the exact same model because I like it so much. For me personally the fact that it's not rechargeable and it takes AA is an upside. When I am miles from my truck for multiple days (or even day hunting for that matter), I want a unit that I can replace the batteries in as soon as they die and keep going. Definitely use Lithium batteries though. THey are lighter and seem to last much longer.

Luked

WKR
Why not an Inreach Explorer+2
has preloaded Topo maps as well as the communication factor for people at home.
that's what I'm planning on getting

Using InReach for a few years. It's great. Keeps the wife/family at ease knowing I'm okay in the backcountry.
For GPS and communicating with my hunting partner we use Rhino 755t.

If your just looking for a security blanket a used Etrex my be an option. They're really light with great battery life and can usually be found for under $50.
Heck I just junked an older one and have a Legend laying around I'd part with.

I'll kind of second what Camping1601 is saying. If you are comfortable with paper maps and you just want a security blanket I would go with the Garmin Foretrex 401. It's easy to operate, small, good battery life. You can mark multiple points, it tracks your path/mileage/elevation gain-loss. You can even input a point of where you are standing; and then change those coordinates to a point, say from GE, and be able to navigate to that area. I did this last year - found a watering hole and grabbed the coords from GE, marked my house location and then just changed the coords. Found it no problem come elk season. Doesn't have maps on it or anything fancy. I strictly use it to mark locations such as camp, sign, water, and then use it to track my mileage throughout the trip.

Beendare

WKR
JS,
I am a big GPS guy...been using them for 30 years. Just sold my last one......went to GAIA on my iPhone now as it kills the little gps screens.

Search the forum and you will se a bunch of threads on it

First post on Rokslide! Been a lurker for quite sometime and finally broke down and joined the fold. I'm from the East coast and try to get out west at least 1-2 times a year.

Looking for recommendations on GPS's. I have made it this far with just topo's, google earth print outs, and my iPhone. With the unreliable battery life and unknown service, I would like to pick up a GPS as a security blanket when backpacking into wilderness areas.

Thanks in advance!
John

the inreach gps are our best sellers...if you have questions or want to check our pricing feel free to shoot us a pm

Rokwiia

WKR
Two thoughts come to mind for the OP. First, I hope you intimately know how to use map and compass and have both with you where ever you go. I'd vote for a dedicated GPS such as an eTrex 20/30.

The eTrex has a very long battery life and you can carry a few extra batteries to last how ever long your trip does. I have an eTrex30 and GAIA on my phone. I rarely ever reach for GAIA.

My phone's battery will die if I get lost and stuck out on my own. Then, if I were relying on it, I'd be screwed. An eTrex is much more capable than a smartphone if you drop it, submerge it, or otherwise abuse it in the backcountry.

I am a SAR member and fairly capable with wilderness navigation. I'd always opt for a map and compass as my main navigation tool. Ideally, all you really need is a map if you know how to navigate using terrain association. In the end, an eTrex will record your route which you can use to retrace your steps. Always record waypoints along the path of travel, especially your starting point. You'd be surprised how many people forget to record the starting location as a waypoint.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

muddydogs

WKR
I would spend some time learning what your phone can do with a good map program like Earthmate or Onix maps as there is no need to a dedicated GPS if you have a smart phone. From your comment about unknown service I suspect that you have not looked into your phone as a GPS or yo would realize that you don't need cell service for the phone GPS to work.
Like others have stated if you want to spend money on a GPS then get the Garmin InReach Explorer + unit as a backup GPS, Run Earthmate on your phone as primary GPS and have the added benefit of 2 way satellite text communication.
Phone battery issues are easy to mitigate for a lot less cash then a GPS unit. First there's ways to shut down unneeded phone functions when remote that save a lot of battery life then there's all sorts of external battery packs that can be purchased for as little as $20.