Havalon Piranta

I have a Havalon that I've skinned a lot of deer, pigs and exotics with. I'm thinking on just taking it on my elk hunt along with a Leatherman, but wondering if it may not be a little small. Any of you guys regularly skin elk with JUST a Havalon or do you take some other sort of knife too?

frankrb3

WKR
That's all a lot of guys use but I have never been able to go hunting without a fixed blade knife of some sort to pair up with my piranta stag. I use a mora companion because they are light, strong and get it done.

Works great for everything but camp duties (shaving wood)
My go to knife in my kill kit, heck its the only knife in there.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
That's all I carry anymore. I have broken down three elk with it and never felt the need for anything else. I do cary a fixed blade knife too, more for camp chores and cutting up food items. I do keep a small Leatherman to change out blades. That's the only reason I may switch to a Gerber Vital. The blades can get jammed in to the piranta when it's below freezing and I worry about slipping and getting cut bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That's all I carry anymore. I have broken down three elk with it and never felt the need for anything else. I do cary a fixed blade knife too, more for camp chores and cutting up food items. I do keep a small Leatherman to change out blades. That's the only reason I may switch to a Gerber Vital. The blades can get jammed in to the piranta when it's below freezing and I worry about slipping and getting cut bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thats why I prefer the gerber vital and the outdoor edge razors

MtnMuley

WKR
Other than the initial cuts from the Swingblade guthook blade, all I've used on a couple dozen elk have been Havalon blades. I wouldn't be one bit deterred to tackle any elk with the Piranta alone.

boom

WKR
it is all my friend uses. he is great with the thing.

we got caught up in a storm and i had to use my knife to build a fire..that is the shortcoming i suppose..a SHTF moment. i have a tiny Ferro rod wiht me all the time, a knife just works. i used it to light my jetboil once when my bic failed..that peizo thing failed at home.immediately.

Jake C.

FNG
Havalon is awesome. Check out Tyto Knives I just order both the Tyto 1.1 and the Esse Izula, both are on the Tyto website.

ndbuck09

WKR
Use the stronger blades that havalon has now. Makes a world of difference in strength. I only carry a havalon and a sog Flash 1 on hunts and haven't needed any more, popping joints and skulls off included.