In need of suggestions for water filtration system for backpack hunt

rgref522

WKR
What do you suggest for a water filtration system for a back pack hunt out west. I have a bladder but that's it in terms of hydration needs.

Dunndm

WKR
I personally bring a life straw that I use to drink when I see the steam. Then I also bought a bladder/filter combo system that holds I believe 60 oz that tou fill up then screw a little filter/dispenser system.
If it's something that might interest you I'll send you a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many replies coming - hopefully.
Kind of depends on your area and how much water and what source it comes from and the time of year.

Will it be winter, freezing temps that could impede a filter on a filtering system
Is it a wallow or urine, fetus filled small puddle.
Is it a nice stream, creek or river or pond.

I hunt with small streams as a source.
I have a bladder for camp (10 liter) with filter system built inside. Just dump water in it and it is filtered out and ready to drink from the fitting on the end. I use this mostly for dehydrated meals, coffee or washing face and teeth.
- I utilize this more if my camp is very close to a water source and just fill this big MSR bag and carry back to camp and hang it.
- If I am not by a good water source for my camp then, I carry a small dirty bladder to fill and then transport water into this 10 L camp bladder

I also carry a 2 liter bladder in my pack that I pump in filtered water using my MSR pump and quick connect fittings.
- I can drink from this as my hand pumped already filtered the water thru it, or use to top off my big 10 liter camp bag up each day (2 L at a time)

I also have a Nalgene 32 oz bottle, that I scoop water into, and sterilize it with a "Steripen Classic" or equivalent.
- This is my favorite as it is quick and light and simple.
- I always have the Nalgene bottle, Steripen on me, even in day pack mode.

I have aquamira tablets In my emergency kit to use in any size 2l or bigger bladders with unfiltered water- if my other systems don't work or break or freeze or what ever I have this as a back up.

GotDraw?

WKR
Agree with @mfllood3800--

Tell us where, when, elevation you'll be hunting and you'll get feedback targeted best to your precise need without wasting everyone else's time trying to guess your intended location/time of year/elevation. You don't need to tell us the exact GMU, just generalities.

Also, will you have a base camp near water? What, if anything do you already know about your potential water sources?

Best,

JL

What do you suggest for a water filtration system for a back pack hunt out west. I have a bladder but that's it in terms of hydration needs.

gabenzeke

WKR
Many replies coming - hopefully.
Kind of depends on your area and how much water and what source it comes from and the time of year.

Will it be winter, freezing temps that could impede a filter on a filtering system
Is it a wallow or urine, fetus filled small puddle.
Is it a nice stream, creek or river or pond.

I hunt with small streams as a source.
I have a bladder for camp (10 liter) with filter system built inside. Just dump water in it and it is filtered out and ready to drink from the fitting on the end. I use this mostly for dehydrated meals, coffee or washing face and teeth.
- I utilize this more if my camp is very close to a water source and just fill this big MSR bag and carry back to camp and hang it.
- If I am not by a good water source for my camp then, I carry a small dirty bladder to fill and then transport water into this 10 L camp bladder

I also carry a 2 liter bladder in my pack that I pump in filtered water using my MSR pump and quick connect fittings.
- I can drink from this as my hand pumped already filtered the water thru it, or use to top off my big 10 liter camp bag up each day (2 L at a time)

I also have a Nalgene 32 oz bottle, that I scoop water into, and sterilize it with a "Steripen Classic" or equivalent.
- This is my favorite as it is quick and light and simple.
- I always have the Nalgene bottle, Steripen on me, even in day pack mode.

I have aquamira tablets In my emergency kit to use in any size 2l or bigger bladders with unfiltered water- if my other systems don't work or break or freeze or what ever I have this as a back up.
Where are you finding fetus filled water sources??? I wouldn't hunt There!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
For filtering large volumes of water such as at a base camp or when you know the streams are pretty large I'd go with a platypus gravity works.

For on the go and filtering from small streams I'm a fan of the MSR trail shot however it it is not go for large quantities. Don't overlook using purifying pills in a nalgene either

gabenzeke

WKR
To the OP I bring a steri pen for filling a nalgene quick on the fly, and a pump for large volumes of water. Kind of overkill probably, but if I'm hiking and need a quick refill, the pen is easier for me.

DavePwns

WKR
To the OP I bring a steri pen for filling a nalgene quick on the fly, and a pump for large volumes of water. Kind of overkill probably, but if I'm hiking and need a quick refill, the pen is easier for me.

Is the steripen classic the best / most reliable model?

gabenzeke

WKR
Is the steripen classic the best / most reliable model?
That's what I've heard. I have that one and the quantum and never had an issue. I definitely make an effort to baby them though and always have new batteries in them. Used to manage a restaurant and that probably made me paranoid about germs. Plus the stories I've heard about beaver fever sound pretty terrible. Lol

Steri pen with lithium batteries

Pre filter for nalgene

32oz nalgene

Have some aqua tabs floating around inside a pocket of my pack just in case.

Ain't got the shits yet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sawyer mini or squeeze are great, inexpensive options too. Any of the filters must not be allowed to freeze though.

Don't leave your batteries in your steri-pen, ask me how I know. 😂

I used the Aquamira drops last year for treating my Nalgene bottle to treating larger volumes in camp. Seem to work well for us. Only down fall was they recommend waiting 5-10 min (I think) after treatment to drink.