Water filtration for really dirty water

codym

WKR
Hey guys I searched but couldn't find a thread with exactly what I needed. First I'm brand new to filtering water period. My scenario is as follows: I hunted a wilderness area for several years but all off horseback, we would pack in water. The only water in that area are dirt tanks that are very dirty, stagnant and contaminated by cattle and elk piss and shit. Now I got rid of the horses and would like to hunt the same areas. What type of filtration system is up to this type of work. I will be scouting another part of the unit that has some running water this summer but really want to be able to utilize my old areas. Thanks!!

Hey guys I searched but couldn't find a thread with exactly what I needed. First I'm brand new to filtering water period. My scenario is as follows: I hunted a wilderness area for several years but all off horseback, we would pack in water. The only water in that area are dirt tanks that are very dirty, stagnant and contaminated by cattle and elk piss and shit. Now I got rid of the horses and would like to hunt the same areas. What type of filtration system is up to this type of work. I will be scouting another part of the unit that has some running water this summer but really want to be able to utilize my old areas. Thanks!!

A filter is not going to remove piss from water, it just removes particles including parasite eggs, bacteria, etc. The liquid urine will go right through. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Most filters will also be ineffective against viruses, so you'll probably want to double-up with a chemical or UV treatment if you know that you're going to be drinking from a contaminated source.

boom

WKR
i have a FirstNeed. it's a water purifyer. i was told it was good for very unsanitary conditions. i bought it more for earthquake preparedness and third world travels. i have not tried filtering a horse trough. man,,what a mind-eff.

Akicita

WKR
I'm thinking of going with a Katadyne be free and a steripen.

I don't believe that combo will meet your expectations for the water sources you described. For relatively sediment free water they work fine but you will quickly become frustrated with clogged filters.

OP
C

codym

WKR
I don't believe that combo will meet your expectations for the water sources you described. For relatively sediment free water they work fine but you will quickly become frustrated with clogged filters.

So of the three mentioned, the vario and first need whats the big difference? (I'm not paying the 350 for the msr). Would these work for what I need?

JPD350

WKR
Take some packets of flavor crystals, makes a big difference! I have a Katadyne Hiker Pro and it has worked well, I clipped the foot off of a pair of stockings I found in a dumpster............ just kidding they were new ones! and I put it over the hose filter with a rubberband, it seems to help but your talking some nastier stuff.

I filled up a 2 liter clear bag with a Katadyne hiker pro last year and I had to filter out of nasty little mosquito pool, I have to say that bag of water was not very appealing looking, the smell was deep and yes it taste like it looked and smelled.... but I was very thirsty and drank it anyway.

FlyGuy

WKR
I had to pull water out of a nasty hole in '16. I had spiked out solo for a few days as I was going back after a bull I'd seen. It was a HUGE climb to get into this area. No cell signal at all, and to my surprise no water up there either. I had been completely out of water since my mtn house the evening before. I'd hiked/hunted around all morning without crossing water and was now getting scared. To make matters worse, It had gotten really hot that day. Eventually I Found an old, very small, man made wildlife reservoir that was holding water - but boy was it was bad. Figuring that I was going to die up there anyway if I didn't do something, I rolled up my pants and waded barefoot towards the clearest part. But, I actually Busted my Kat pump's seals trying to pull that nastiness through it, so I ended up with a bladder full of greenish brown water. At that time I carried those two part drops that combine to make chlorine dioxide (don't recall the name?) They worked like a charm. The water still tasted just like it looked, but with a few grape flavor packs mixed in I happily chugged it down and got off that hill.

Bought a delorme inReach as soon as I got home.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I haven't tried it in real crap water, but I take a slug of coffee filters and place over the intake of my Katadin Hiker Pro, take even more than you think you need, they clog up faster than you think they would. Other thing I tried that I quickly figured out wasn't needed for my water sources but was a good theory, was I took a cloth water pail with me, filled it up with water and let it settle out and pump from it.

boom

WKR
So of the three mentioned, the vario and first need whats the big difference? (I'm not paying the 350 for the msr). Would these work for what I need?

i think the FirstNeed is the only EPA rated filter to take out viruses. i was told it was the only water PURIFIER at the time..it is not just a filter. this was maybe 10 years ago, that may not be the case today.

jmden

WKR
MSR Guardian is another good choice.

Read up carefully on the Guardian to see if it fits your needs. It is likely the only one I would trust in this sceneario. I don't think most filters are truly designed to handle really dirty water. The Guardian is. I've had several filters and received the Guardian from MSR right when it first came out and have been impressed with it when I haven't been by others.

slim9300

WKR
1744e05202347bd6ea92a63eb73a72b9.jpg

Gila wilderness for 13 days last September with Katadyn Hiker pump and AquaMira drops. Once our water ran out after day 4 (packed in with horses) we drank solely from tanks filled with piss and shit. This is the water after being pumped. Filter never clogged and pumped roughly 30 gallons of water without needing to be taken apart. I was impressed. Use a small tight knit synthetic bag with a draw string as a pre-filter. Normally where I hunt the water is clearish and AquaMira is all that is needed. Neither of us got sick. Wish I could post the video of us pumping that I took. The pictures make the water look clean! lol

7c89b6e6c3439af374454e560f8758a1.jpg

twall13

WKR
I saw GotDraw?'s post in the link above when he originally posted it and have been using that system since. It works pretty slick for prolonging the life of the sawyer filters and really does a good job of getting the larger silt out before it ever gets to your filter. I'm not sure it's going to help much with the piss taste if you are pulling from an elk wallow as the OP describes, but for general use I really like it.