Best method to carry gun with pack?

I have been doing some research and am having a tough time trying to figure out the best way to carry a gun on a pack while elk hunting. I see the kifaru gun bearer but not sure how comfortable it would be to have your arm over it and the extra weight on one side. Also I believe kuiu makes one but looks like it might be alittle tough to access? I am looking for one that I can have access to my rifle, odds are I won’t need it right away but would hate to pass an opportunity because I have to take my pack off and unstrap.

Napperm4

WKR
I have been doing some research and am having a tough time trying to figure out the best way to carry a gun on a pack while elk hunting. I see the kifaru gun bearer but not sure how comfortable it would be to have your arm over it and the extra weight on one side. Also I believe kuiu makes one but looks like it might be alittle tough to access? I am looking for one that I can have access to my rifle, odds are I won’t need it right away but would hate to pass an opportunity because I have to take my pack off and unstrap.

I picked up a mystery ranch quick draw sling last season. Works awesome. I’d highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
I have the Kifaru gun bearer and it works well. (As advertised). That said, I carry it by hand if possible. As that’s just faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kifaru Gun bearer. I usually have trek poles and the positioning of the rifle up my side under arm while walking with poles is 100% natural

I prefer the stone glacier to any other system and it will work on all the major pack brands. I like that it’s behind my shoulder almost like I’m carrying it in a sling but one pull on the tether and I have the rifle out and ready. I pretty much use it for hiking in the dark and if I’m packing or headed home. Most of my hunting is long hikes in the dark and thick timber. I know for a fact o don’t want a rifle barrel in my vision or in the way going under and over stuff and through brush.

OP
S
Thanks for all of the replies. Maybe I will have to give the kifaru a shot. I was not able to view the pictures in that link.

OP
S
Also I will be using a badlands 2200 and am wondering if any or all of these will work with that pack? The stone glacier one looks more like where I would want the gun but not sure if it would work with that.

I have used an Eberlestock weapon sleeve and a Kifaru Gunbearer.

However, my current favorite system is a simple sling stud attached to my pack strap.

https://www.facebook.com/slingkeeper/

It's just a stud that affixes to the pack strap. It keeps the sling of your rifle in place.

Between my flexible rubber sling. Slogan Outdoors Slings. The Original Rubber Slings. As seen on TV and this sling stud, my rifle is secure (even over rough terrain) and easy to access, without adding stuff to my pack the adds weight or bulk.

mcseal2

WKR
I have used an Eberlestock weapon sleeve and a Kifaru Gunbearer.

However, my current favorite system is a simple sling stud attached to my pack strap.

Frankenstud Sling Keeper - Home | Facebook

It's just a stud that affixes to the pack strap. It keeps the sling of your rifle in place.

Between my flexible rubber sling. Slogan Outdoors Slings. The Original Rubber Slings. As seen on TV and this sling stud, my rifle is secure (even over rough terrain) and easy to access, without adding stuff to my pack the adds weight or bulk.

I bought one of those too but am still experimenting with where to put it while carrying my rifle on conditioning hikes with just the sling. My Kifaru tactical frame and Nomad 2 pack has the load lifters positioned wider than my Exo 3500 and it seems to want to push the sling off my shoulder worse. With a light load just loosening the right load lifter helps a lot but that isn't what I want to do when using it as more than a daypack. I just want to be darn sure where I want it before I install it on a high dollar pack. I tried the Gunbearer and it's a good system, just not quite right for me and my rifle. I have a Rifles Inc LW70 with a short forend and the Gunbearer's upper strap has to go around the barrel with the gun positioned like I want it.

I do like the Eberlestock scabbards. I use a Team Elk for predator hunting and carry my AR in it. I just like the way the other brands handle loads better for big game hunting where I hike further and carry more. I once was on a conditioning hike with a Remington 7615 in the scabbard of a J34 and jumped a coyote from a patch of brush ahead of me. I grabbed the rifle from the scabbard and shot it. I ranged from the dead coyote to the thicket and it was 43 yards. A rifle can come out quick. That rifle only had a 16.5" barrel so it was faster than a 22-24" hunting rifle, but it gives you an idea.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies. Maybe I will have to give the kifaru a shot. I was not able to view the pictures in that link.

I wasn't very impressed with it, my rifle was still wobbly and the top the strap I couldn't get to sit right on my Tikka. I could tell it would just piss me off hiking around with it. I think it would work better with the Kifaru system vs the universal model on my Metcalf pack.

Wasn't overly happy about paying shipping both ways either when I returned it.

OP
S
Seems like the only thing to do is try it and see if it’s right for me. Does anyone know which size works for the badlands 2200? Really I think either but maybe the small would be better.

rm06

WKR
I've used both Kifaru Gun Bearer setups as well as the Stone Glacier. The KGB that is built for the Kifaru packs works a bit better than the universal but that would be the expected performance, in my opinion. I currently use the Stone Glacier on a SG pack (previously used the KGB universal) which I do prefer, I used it for years but I could never get over the rifle barrel constantly in my face. The SG takes a bit more practice to deploy correctly and efficiently but I do like getting the rifle out of the way.

Tick

WKR
Used the Kifaru universal on an EXO pack for one day and didn't like how the weight made the pack belt feel on that side. I did like the rifle position when hiking for accessibility. Used a leather rifle sling the rest of the trip and was more comfortable.