Maps for Compass

pbcarch

WKR
Can someone point me in the right direction (pun intended) of where to buy paper maps for compass use?
We are going to Idaho

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would subscribe to Gaia or Caltopo and print off what you need. Both sites offer the ability to overlay a grid and different map types (ie. sat., gmu borders, topo).

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
If you are printing maps from your own printer make sure you also print out the "scale" so that you have the an ability to plot points and determine distances. MYTOPO can work well but I have found that the end product is not always clear enough to read the contour lines. You can also download for free topo maps of the entire lower 48 and most of Alaska from "The National Map". Great resource. I download them to my phone and use them in airplane mode.

LaHunter

WKR
I have about 7 or 8 maps that I have ordered from mytopo and all are great. I have no issue at all seeing contour lines or any map features on any of my maps. Mine are all custom maps that I made online of a specific area to my specified scale. I have never tried to print them out on my printer, wasn’t even aware that was possible.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. My only purpose is to get printed maps for CV compass use.
I have a garmin GPS, xhunt but I want that as backup...

The idea of a custom paper map with all the private properties as well would be great. Dont mind size i will go them ( i am an architect by day )

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
I have a sun suunto mc-2g compass and it units on the base are not usgs. The scale says 1:25

If I order maps from mytopo should I order 1:24 or 1:25? Itvseems most get 1:24 maps but not sure if if that's because of the most detail and match their compass base plate.

I am guessing going with 1:24 map and having a 1:25 base plate on compass i will not be able to measure distances correctly with compass scale and just default to my GPS unit for that

Thoughts?

GotDraw?

WKR
1:24,000 is most common and used on OnX chips, Garmin, etc.

No big deal if you have a 1:25,000 base plate on your compass... your distance measurement will be off by +4.1667% from 24k to 25k, and if converting 25k to 24k, off by -4%. It's not worth even 1 minute being concerned about.

You could use the distance function on your GPS if you need real precision.

That said, I did not realize when buying my first compass that base plate measurement references can be 24k, 25k, etc. Once I did, I made sure to get 24k since that's what my gps uses.

JL

hskrhntr

FNG
Just got my first map from mytopo and am very happy with it. Easy process to set up the exact area I wanted. It got here in 3 days. Will definitely use them again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk