Something fun, gear what worked what didn't 2017

Tag_Soup

WKR
JP100, thanks for the explanation when called out on the carpet. I’d think based on your explanation that you definitely put some miles on your gear. Good on you! Thanks for the explanation and information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
JP100, thanks for the explanation when called out on the carpet. I’d think based on your explanation that you definitely put some miles on your gear. Good on you! Thanks for the explanation and information.

I try not to break stuff, but shit seems to fall apart around me haha.

Guiding is very different to the average rec hunter, (not trying to be a dick) but its very different, we will use stuff every day for 100+ days straight, and shit fails pretty often really.

One thing I think in NZ that is different to most parts of North America(coastal BC/Alaska ect aside) is the moisture, my pack is wet most of the time, and we have very high UV damage here. These combined are very hard on fabrics and pretty much all gear.

I still think the Kifaru is one of the better packs I have tried, the comfort level is very good for my body shape. And in the short time I have been using them they have made quite a few improvements to their design, which to me shows they are trying their best to make things better all the time.

As a side note, to get an idea of the REAL hard ass mother f#$ckers out there, when I had my pack repaired I was talking to the guy who runs a small custom repair/sew shop. He does a bit of work with the military and was just helping the SAS with some pack mods for some training thing.
They were running Stone Glacier's and the MINIMUM pack weight was 80kg!! Thats 176lbs.....and that was the minimum......one boy was packing 130kg/286lbs.
That puts things in perspective haha.

They had I think one failure over their training run(maybe 2 weeks?), but thats pretty extreme stuff.

If your on face book you should be able to this, Facebook
My younger brother packing around 80kg/180lbs(yes we did weigh it) in a Macpac bag haha, the things we do for a laugh.......

Is there gear that wont break? I dont think so, but some is much easier to repair and fix in the field.
Carbon for example I think is a great material, but a poor choice for alot of back country gear.
Carbon is very strong and stiff, but shows no wear or stress and once fails it fails big time

Alloy for example shows stress easily and will bend long before it breaks, and can be re bent.

I had an Eblerstock pack get blown off a mountain and roll about 2000ft to the valley floor(sounds hard to believe I know) and the frame stays were bent 90 degrees, I could simple re straighten them and carry on with no issue more or less.

This is a good example of maybe not the best pack out there, but one that can take an absolute hiding and still be functional.View attachment 72589
heres the frame stay, alot of packs use a very similar frame stay set up, and despite its failings it is a good durable option that can be molded to the user(in this case a rock haha)

View attachment 72590
Where my pack stopped, we were on the skyline ridge. Pretty much all my gear survived without issue, I only lost one of my knives an that was it.

Here’s a few highs and lows for me.

Good:
Sitka Flash... light, worked great to block wind and I used it waaaay harder in pouring rain and snow than I should had. Held up great and kept me dry longer than expected.

Bad:
Vortex bino tripod adapter. I got a tripod and used it a ton this past year. Love the ability to glass more relaxed even with my 10x binos... but having to get my fingers between the tubes to tighten that screw is a pain in the neck. I think they really should revisit this one. A guy should be able to go from bino harness to tripod without taking gloves off or getting out a leatherman.