Garmin In reach

codym

WKR
Hello I'm starting to research these. I need something to stay in communication with family and hunting partners in the wilderness. I have a garmin astro 430 (part of my bird dog tracking system) that I use as my gps and generally don't take my cell phone in the field. I've been using garmin tracking products for my bird dogs and have had a handheld and several GPS collars become obsolete and Garmin refuse to support or service them. This is my concern with the in reach is that I will likely have an obsolete piece of technology in less than 5 years. Is there any other options out there vice a sat phone for communicating in the back country. I also do not like the fact that I cannot use replaceable batteries in the field, anyone have issues with the rechargeable batteries? Thanks

Everything gets outdated, but I suspect this will be used for years to come.
Some guys still have the original "Spot" systems from over a decade ago.
I'd say get it if you can or one similar and move on.

If it is just to track, inform, locate, you have everything you need. Worry about the future when it arrives.

"One day every one dies, but every other day they live"
- go live and enjoy the peace of mind it brings

VernAK

WKR
Cody,

I've used the In Reach for several years and prior to Garmin acquisition. The battery charge lasts a very long time. I typically turn mine on twice a day and receive/transmit a few messages and seldom drop below 80% charge on a 10 day trip.

I know of no other options other than Sat Phone and the prices have escalated there.

OP
C

codym

WKR
Very good info. If I get 7 years out of it I will be happy. I've just been reading where some of the older models were not being supported. Good to know on the battery life, I'm planning on a 14-16 day archery hunt this year and do not want to have to come out to charge. Thanks again this stuff is all pretty new to me.

dotman

WKR
I have the original delorme SE inreach and by no means is it obsolete or will it be with changes, it may not have bells and whistles that newer models will have in the future but it allows me to do exactly what I got it for, texting and calling SAR if needed.

OP
C

codym

WKR
I have the original delorme SE inreach and by no means is it obsolete or will it be with changes, it may not have bells and whistles that newer models will have in the future but it allows me to do exactly what I got it for, texting and calling SAR if needed.

Sweet! That's all I need it for as well!

Love my Garmin InReach..the cheaper yellow one without the GPS functions...I pair with my iPhone for texting and use the phone as my GPS. Works great in the Canadian North and down on the Mexican border. Really nice to text with my wife as well as the pilot on drop off hunts. Bet the InReach platform is supported for a very long time with all the commercial users that have them (guides and flight services, etc).

Trial153

WKR
i had the second verison for a couple years, paired with my phone it was perfect.
i just upgraded to rhe newest one.

DeLorme InReach Explorer Satellite Communicator with Navigation : Cabela's!

What’s the difference between the new Garmin inreach and the delorme at the link above. I know Garmin purchased Delorme. Just wondering what the upgrades are or if someone could point me to some info here. Just like the OP. Concerned about the life I would get out of something like this. It’s appealing at half the price of the new ones. Sorry. Not trying to thread hijack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google DeLorme vs Garmin InReach and read about the differences. Mainly seems the DeLorme has the potential for false sos alarms due to the button. Also the battery on the DeLorme unit would be a year or two old already.

dotman

WKR
For battery life I leave mine on all day while out, use it to text my buddies etc. battery lasts 3 days before I recharge it, could probably get 4 if I wanted. I also use my phone for GPS and for the texting function on the delorme, I usually recharge both at the same time. I use an Anker 20000mah battery pack and it easily has enough juice to charge all my stuff for a 10 day period.

I don’t use the tracks feature, that may use up the battery faster.

dotman

WKR
DeLorme InReach Explorer Satellite Communicator with Navigation : Cabela's!

What’s the difference between the new Garmin inreach and the delorme at the link above. I know Garmin purchased Delorme. Just wondering what the upgrades are or if someone could point me to some info here. Just like the OP. Concerned about the life I would get out of something like this. It’s appealing at half the price of the new ones. Sorry. Not trying to thread hijack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that price I would get this over the Garmin.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've used the In Reach for several years and prior to Garmin acquisition. The battery charge lasts a very long time. I typically turn mine on twice a day and receive/transmit a few messages and seldom drop below 80% charge on a 10 day trip.

Ditto Vern's report...same for me for several years as well...same unit, same experiences. I really like mine and have had zero problems with it, although like Vern mine is a pre-Garmin. The rechargeable battery is pretty darn good and really lasts if used the way Vern is describing (I do the same thing).

I'll add that it takes a bit of getting used to at first, and I really prefer linking it to my cell phone (earthmate ap) for ease of application. Communicating directly on the unit itself is torture...I'm speaking of back and forth communicating, in real time.

Skip the explorer, and stick with the SE. the gps map function burned me pretty good last season. partially my fault for putting so much faith in a gps when I should have spent more time looking at the compass. Cue the Back country bromides and platitudes.

SICARIO

FNG
I also have the Delores SE and it’s still working great. I always carry a battery backup and small solar panel so I can charge my rino/iphone/delorme while I’m out. I have indefinite battery life in case things go south. The battery and panel is worth the extra weight.