Packable rope type saw?

4ester

WKR
Saw one of these rope type chainsaws pop up on my Instagram feed and it got me thinking....

If they actually work that well, it would be a nice item for use with the titanium stove?

Anyone ever tried them and what did you think? Any specific brands that are best and ones to avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Cool idea, not great performers or good use of energy. A more standard saw like a Bahco, Silky or other good folding saw or a takedown saw like a Sven is a much better option IMO. A decent folding saw is way ahead of those rope/chain saws.

Most of the reviews I've read on the pull-type chainsaws don't rate them very well for serious wood cutting work in a variety of uses. You need both hands to make it work and that means the wood must be essentially unmovable. Probably not useful for cutting up dry wood sections laying around camp. Seems like their best application might be green or soft wood which is still standing or unmovable. Anyway...definitely not for me. I'll bring a real saw like a folder or collapsible buck-saw for serious wood use.

GotDraw?

WKR
Forget it. Those chain saw style rope saws are a TOTAL waste of time. I know from experience.

Get a real saw... one of the Bob Destrude folding saws:
Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw | Made in USA | Guaranteed For Life | Duluth Pack

You can use the full length of the blade on a Destrude, unlike those triangular shaped saws like the Sven or Gerber, which pinch down on one end. Buy a long Destrude and you can also use it to clear big deadfalls off the trail (if you're using horses or packing game out with a horse).

The Destrude is THE bomb... also from experience.

JL

BCSteel

FNG
I use a Silky Gomboy 240. Best money I ever spent on an outdoor product. It comes on every trip.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk