I need a new headlamp

Majja

FNG
I have a great BD headlamp except the red light setting is very lacking. I would liek to try one with red or green. Options please.

Majja

icb12

FNG
Petzl Reactik + -Received one as a gift last year. Best headlamp I've ever used for recreation. Only thing I don't like is the white band. Mine is bloodstained forever.

Also like the original petzl tikka- have a couple of those.

I also have a petzl ultra vario for work that is a beast.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using a Streamlight headlamp for over 10 years with no issues. I've tried a red light, but couldn't stand the red. The green light has been the best for me.

rayporter

WKR
you should narrow it down some, as there are a LOT of choices now days.

do you want flood for close work or throw for far far away
neutral or cool white
rechargeable
can you stand a strap over the top or you head [ I hate that]
batteries - matching what you already carry or something different

these are just a sample of decisions to make.

etsanger

FNG
I've been using the coast fl75r. It is a rechargeable but you can also use batteries and has a focusing beam with red and green lights too. Weighs 3.2 ounces

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Love my Fenix HLR60. There were two separate threads a few months ago talking about them in detail.

204guy

WKR
Is the 1 lumen output of red light enough for you to see while you hike in the dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Been doing a lot of crawlspace work and the battery life on the fenix is great but the red leds are for map reading... maybe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. Been doing a lot of crawlspace work and the battery life on the fenix is great but the red leds are for map reading... maybe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It seems like the only headlamps with a red/green light bright enough to hike with are the ones that ONLY do red or green.

Pro953

WKR
Good to see this come up again. I picked up a zebra last year. Nice power but it certainly burns though batteries. Not sure if this is common across all of the higher lumen headlamps but it gets Hot, hot, hot!

I do miss the red lamp on my old headlamp but the Zebra is great for late pack outs.

GotDraw?

WKR
you should narrow it down some, as there are a LOT of choices now days...

^^^THIS^^^

And I would add the following to @rayporter's points: Batteries *in* the light or remote on the back of the head? Max illumination lumens?

@Majja- Put some time and thoughtful effort into your question in order to better focus it (pun intended) and other will be encouraged to put time and effort into their responses.

This ill-posed questions reminds me of the OP on the moose forum who asked "What is the average distance for shooting moose?"

Well posed questions get well thought out responses. Poorly thought out questions that are lobbed over the shoulder waste people's time.

JL

NDGuy

WKR
Yeah red light isn't bright enough to use exclusively. Still love it though!

rayporter

WKR
if you want a lot of power that lasts and lasts get a light with the batt pack behind your head.

I cant stand em. the strap over the head drives me nuts.

also the lights like the zebra cast a light across my face with no hat on that hurts vision. lights like the old Princeton tec don't do that when I don't have a hat on.

if you are not up to speed on the colors of led lights [ I mean the white light tint ] you should read up on this.

I have a hl 50 fenix I love but it has a fatal flaw in that there is no lock out and it is extremely easy to turn on accidently. [ and no red]

luck-ray

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Petzl Tactikka +RGB. Almost all of my use with this has been with the red lens. If I'm camping or hunting, I don't want the white light to hinder my night vision. When I am in the field for work, we have to use something other than white and have not had any problems navigating c-wire obstacles, walking around the area, or most importantly at night, finding the john. It runs on AAA batteries so extra batteries weigh almost nothing and fit almost anywhere. Keep in mind that a red lens is not supposed to cast a beam way out in front of you, you should have just enough light to see a few feet in front of you and read a map.

LostArra

WKR
Flashlight junkie here, various headlamps including Zebra and Fenix.
I keep going back to my Fenix HL 30. Seems to be the best combination of lightweight, output, battery life, red light feature. Plus I just like the big buttons on top for use with gloves.
No lock out but never a problem with turning on like with my Zebra or HL60. Of course a partial turn of the battery cap prevents that too.

I have a great BD headlamp except the red light setting is very lacking. I would liek to try one with red or green. Options please.

Majja

Have you looked into the black diamond storm? That's one of my two go to lamps. Has RGB modes, water proof, runs on aaa baths, and a lock feature so it doesn't accidently get turned on in your pack. So far I have zero complaints with it. There are a ton of different functions with this lamp, but only one button to control all of them so it takes a bit to figure out.