Bear Protection in CO?

Dont think i ever spoke of this on here... but i used to be a biologist, and in the course of a bear education hazing on an old female that weighed all of 120lbs, my partner shot her point blank in the face with some spray. She amazingly showed no sign of any discomfort whatsoever. I carry a 10mm most often and sometimes a .44 on my chest at all times during bow season or out hiking. Had an adolescent bear get all sorts of aggresive with me last year, can only assume i woulda been in a world of hurt if i hadnt places a 240gr cast boolit in the dirt between its paws at about 5 yds. Yelling and screaming had no effect. Muzzle blast sure did though!

LandYacht

WKR
Used to carry a .44 mag. I no longer carry it. I figure I am already carrying bear protection in the form of my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
That place is in Tulsa too!!!!

I have a conversion for my SIG 1911 and a GLOCK 30 conversion. I have to get my 1911 spring weight dialed in for the loads I have worked up. She runs great and then sometimes wants to stovepipe. I think the compensator I have is too efficient for that 1911. It is super accurate though.

The Glock eats everything you throw at it. It also lets you know you're shooting a 460 Rowland after a few magazines. It's not terrible, but if you're not ready for it, it'll get you.

It's a great round and definitely has the punch for any kind of bear. I'm running 250 grain hard cast polymer coated bullets. I've got some heavier grain bullets, but haven't worked up a great load for them.

460Rowland.jpg

Sounds interesting from the little research I have done. Haven't looked into it too much, but I have 2 45's. A springfield xdm and a Kimber 1911, although the kimber only has a 4" barrel.

Will have to call them and see.

I listened to a podcast recently that advocated the use of a marine-grade flare to deter a grizzly charge. Lots of fire and sparks pointed right at a charging bear has tested well they said.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to a podcast recently that advocated the use of a marine-grade flare to deter a grizzly charge. Lots of fire and sparks pointed right at a charging bear has tested well they said.

There is lots of fire and sparks from the end of a big bore firearm as well. Besides, it's much easier to shoot a firearm than it is to sit there attempting to get a flare started when a fur missile is coming at you.

Good point but you also don’t have to try to shoot the Bear in the CNS with the flare. Just light it. I would think more people could light a flare with a bear running at them than put a bullet where it needs to be. That podcast also recommended carrying two types of protection. So flare and spray or gun and spray, etc.

dotman

WKR

Good chance of setting the forest on fire and being held accountable for damages to property as well, after the lawyers and feds get done you may just wish the bear ate you 😜

Good chance of setting the forest on fire and being held accountable for damages to property as well, after the lawyers and feds get done you may just wish the bear ate you

Shoot a protected grizzly with your pistol and I’m sure that you will get off easy too

skunk

FNG
Heard a recent podcast on bear protection. They said you want a fast round that penetrates well (to travel through a bear skull). Their research indicated a 10mm was ideal and then second choice was 9mm with hard cast rounds. The one specific ammo mentioned was Buffalo Bore 9mm +P. Apparently the larger calibers like 44 and so forth are just too slow to achieve the penetration needed.

Apparently the larger calibers like 44 and so forth are just too slow to achieve the penetration needed.

Don’t believe that for a moment. I once shot a 8’ brown bear, at about 10 yards with a S&W .500, and 440 grain buffalo bore hard cast bullet. It wasn’t charging but was circling me very quickly and once he squared off and lowered his head, I shot. The bullet hit the bear in the neck/shoulder area, traveled the entire length of the bears body and came out it’s left hip (totally destroying that hip), about 2 or 3” from his anus. The bear didn’t die with that first shot but it was a total attitude changer and allowed me ample time to finish him. Had I hit him in the head, I have no doubt that the bullet would’ve still continued on it’s same path.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Heard a recent podcast on bear protection. They said you want a fast round that penetrates well (to travel through a bear skull). Their research indicated a 10mm was ideal and then second choice was 9mm with hard cast rounds. The one specific ammo mentioned was Buffalo Bore 9mm +P. Apparently the larger calibers like 44 and so forth are just too slow to achieve the penetration needed.
Not exactly. Those were their picks for autos. The 10mm was the clear choice, which most would agree, and their second choice was a 9mm. The 9 was not really recommend, it was just a better choice than a (slower/fatter) 40 s&w or 45acp. If you are looking to buy an auto for bear defense, the 10 is really the only choice. If you are just going out for a hike and don't own a 10, which is not the most common round, but you do have a 45 and a 9, leave the 45 and bring the 9.

Then, in wheel guns, what they said was BIGGER and FASTER is BETTER. 454, 480, 500. Provided you can shoot them, that is.

Regardless, always use hard cast ammo.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

skunk

FNG
Not exactly. Those were their picks for autos. The 10mm was the clear choice, which most would agree, and their second choice was a 9mm. The 9 was not really recommend, it was just a better choice than a (slower/fatter) 40 s&w or 45acp. If you are looking to buy an auto for bear defense, the 10 is really the only choice. If you are just going out for a hike and don't own a 10, which is not the most common round, but you do have a 45 and a 9, leave the 45 and bring the 9.

Then, in wheel guns, what they said was BIGGER and FASTER is BETTER. 454, 480, 500. Provided you can shoot them, that is.

Regardless, always use hard cast ammo.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Ah, I only paid attention to the auto-loader talk because that's what I have.