Bear Protection in CO?

jmden

WKR
Heard a recent podcast on bear protection. They said you want a fast round that penetrates well (to travel through a bear skull). Their research indicated a 10mm was ideal and then second choice was 9mm with hard cast rounds. The one specific ammo mentioned was Buffalo Bore 9mm +P. Apparently the larger calibers like 44 and so forth are just too slow to achieve the penetration needed.

With Buffalo Bore .44 Magnum 340 grain +P+ Hardcast load doing 1425 fps MV...that's alot of ummph with good bullet construction for the job and I doubt any one bone in any bear will stop it. Do some penetration testing with hardcast bullets...it's an eye opener, not to mention the tissue damage a flatnose causes along the way. If folks can shoot a .44 accurately and quickly, that's a hard load to beat for the job. Probably too much power for many.

Heavy 44 Magnum +P+ Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

skunk

FNG
With Buffalo Bore .44 Magnum 340 grain +P+ Hardcast load doing 1425 fps MV...that's alot of ummph with good bullet construction for the job and I doubt any one bone in any bear will stop it. Do some penetration testing with hardcast bullets...it's an eye opener, not to mention the tissue damage a flatnose causes along the way. If folks can shoot a .44 accurately and quickly, that's a hard load to beat for the job. Probably too much power for many.

Heavy 44 Magnum +P+ Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
Dude I'm just telling you what the guy on the podcast said. Don't shoot the messenger.

dotman

WKR
Shoot a protected grizzly with your pistol and I’m sure that you will get off easy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d take my chance there over burning down a forest and not having any marks on my body with the only defense of a bear charged.

Still think it’s a bad idea in dry areas, especially if there is any burn bans. This is just me, by no means am I pressing my view on you and go with what makes you comfortable. Please just don’t hunt in CO

Wasn’t sure if you pictured me as an idiot with a flare gun shooting at dark objects in the forest...just bringing up discussion so don’t ban me from hunting Colorado please.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Most people would be better off with a 9mm with some hard cast bullets and lots off practice. Over the big ass pistol with lots of muzzle jump and less practice.

dotman

WKR
Wasn’t sure if you pictured me as an idiot with a flare gun shooting at dark objects in the forest...just bringing up discussion so don’t ban me from hunting Colorado please.

Haha, no I didn’t, SW CO is just a tinder box ready to explode.

I saw as many bears as I saw elk last year here in SW Colorado, I couldn’t get any of them to pay any attention to me. They all ran off.......