Bear Protection in CO?

smlneal

FNG
I will be going to Colorado for my first elk hunt this September and was wondering about bear protection? Wanted to see what y'all recommend... Are most carrying something? Gun or Spray? Thx

elkduds

WKR
During archery I carry a 357 in CO. In 40 years of hunting CO, I have never felt threatened by bears. I have seen many, and when they saw or smelled me, off they went. The revolver is more for bipedal predators. I believe bear spray is a better deterrent for cats and bears.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I live in North Idaho, we seem to have all the predators here. I don't even consider a black bear a threat. I do however consider a Moose a threat and have had far more problems with them than any predator. That said, take what makes you comfortable. If you're good with a pistol, take it, if not get some spray and figure out how to use it before you need it.

Jbehredt

WKR
I always carry so it would be odd to go without during hunting season. We’ve drawn on a couple bears that were a little too curious and one Mtn lion that stood his ground. In the woods my daily carry G26 gets upgraded to a G20.

take what makes you comfortable. If you're good with a pistol, take it, if not get some spray and figure out how to use it before you need it.

This^. Whatever you are most proficient with is what you should take. FYI, when using bear spray always know which way the wind is blowing. I learned that lesson the hard way. I couldn't see for a solid hour. Super fun!

I live in North Idaho, we seem to have all the predators here. I don't even consider a black bear a threat. I do however consider a Moose a threat and have had far more problems with them than any predator. That said, take what makes you comfortable. If you're good with a pistol, take it, if not get some spray and figure out how to use it before you need it.

I completely agree with this and I also don’t really consider black bears much of a threat, but last year three people up here were mauled by black bears and two of those three people were killed, so it’s probably not a bad idea to take them a little more seriously. Oh, and two of those people that were mauled (one person killed), they both had bear spray, were trained in how to use it, and both deployed the spray properly with zero affect on the bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We see bear sign often but no bears...in 6 years of hunting. We don't worry about them. Like Ryan said...moose would be a bigger issue and we give them a wide berth.

I do have a can of bear spray that I bought in anticipation of some backcountry camping in Yellowstone, but honestly, it stays in camp.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I completely agree with this and I also don’t really consider black bears much of a threat, but last year three people up here were mauled by black bears and two of those three people were killed, so it’s probably not a bad idea to take them a little more seriously. Oh, and two of those people that were mauled (one person killed), they both had bear spray, were trained in how to use it, and both deployed the spray properly with zero affect on the bear.

Its true, I have gotten complacent with black bears. I run into one almost everytime out.

We did a training with pepper spray while in the military. It had zero effect on several people in my Platoon. I would imagine its the same with animals. Not to mention when spray is used, half the time the sprayer is just as incapacitated as the target. Just something to think about:)

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with taking whatever makes you comfortable. I’ve hunted every year in Colorado for the past 22 years and have never felt threatened by a black bear and see quite a few every year. I personally don’t carry anything but hunt with a buddy that does carry a sidearm and with the increased bear population in Colorado I’d be lying if I said the thought hasn’t crossed my mind lately. Personally I won’t carry spray. If I do decide to carry it will be a pistol during archery season. I just feel that there are to many variables to worry about with spray.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider

Don't forget about the HS kid from the Bird Creek mauling during that race. I believe that was a black bear as well.

Don't forget about the HS kid from the Bird Creek mauling during that race. I believe that was a black bear as well.
Yeah, it was a black bear and that was one of the people I was referring to, along with the two female biologists. Was there someone else I'm forgetting?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My relative Bob Weaver was killed by a black bear in Alaska a few years ago. He was very experienced outdoorsman it can and does happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

During archery I carry a 357 in CO. In 40 years of hunting CO, I have never felt threatened by bears. I have seen many, and when they saw or smelled me, off they went. The revolver is more for bipedal predators.

This^^^!

Ruger 3" SP101 for myself as the all-around woods pistol that follows me everywhere I go in CO when fishing/hunting/scouting/hiking.

oldgoat

WKR
60% of the time it works every time!
Dd7ylIj.jpg

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it was a black bear and that was one of the people I was referring to, along with the two female biologists. Was there someone else I'm forgetting?

I'm not sure. I only remember the one about the HS student. I know there was an attack on JBER last year as well, not sure if it was a brown or black though.

rm06

WKR
I'm generally more concerned with cats than bears, though we see way more bear sign. I carry a 3" 357 loaded with 180 grain hardcast Buffalo Bore

dotman

WKR
I think it was 2 years ago a teenager was pulled out of his tent by a black bear in CO during the CBA Jamboree or something. I also think it was a few years ago that Ryan Avery punched a bear in the face when it stuck its head under his tarp, lol.

Crap can happen, I see no reason not to carry a pistol, if needed you’ll be glad to have it.

jmden

WKR
List of griz and black bear fatal attacks in North America seperated by kind of bear with associated situation/location/personal identification:

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia

List of fatal mountain lion attacks in North America with similar information:

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia

List of fatal and non-fatal wolf attacks in North America:

List of wolf attacks in North America - Wikipedia

Interesting to read. Looked like there have been three fatal black bear attacks in Colorado, if the lists are accurate...